Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm going to ask something that may seem a little controversial especially on a FZ forum. As I've stated before, I've done lots of research on the bike around performance and the fueling/suspension issues. I am most likely going to be purchasing the 2015 model soon. The only thing I'm hesitant on is the motor. I'm not familiar with the motor as I am with the typical inline 4 and v-twin. This will be my first triple. Basically what I'm asking is what is the consensus on this new triple from yamaha. It's only been in the states for 2 years, is there anything I need to worry about? Should I be able to get the same high mileage like I have with my GSXR, Harley, Honda Goldwing etc. Thanks again. i know this is probably me just worrying too much.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Check out the thread "fz09 reliability" on this site. Lots of high miles feedback.

Use the search function at the upper right corner of the screen for any questions you have. Most subjects are covered very well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out the thread "FZ-09 Reliability" on this site. Lots of high miles feedback.
sorry. Still getting used to the site. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
957 Posts
Generally speaking you can trust any Japanese built bike to be bullet proof. If there are any issues they usually come in the form of electrical demons that are ironed out after the first 1 or 2 production years.

·
Banned
486 Posts
5500 miles since hearing feedback ive been twisting the wrist a bit more even hit the speed limiter twice no problems other than tires

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
He is asking about reliability and comparing it to a Gold Wing or a Harley.....generally someone who rides those bikes considers high mileage 150-200,000 miles.......which either of them will do easily......
while I have no doubt the FZ-09 hs a great engine, the truth is we just dont know about its longevity yet.....hopefully it stands up well

Reactions: RickyNY

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
ive never seen a harley with over 50k most of em are either stripped down to the engine for no reason or are leaking oil
you cant be looking very hard.......and as far as the oil leaks...let it go, since the Evo engines were introduce in 1984, oil leaks are no longer a problem.....but some stereotypes never die...specifically since they are usually parroted by those with no real knowledge of the products

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'll let you know, I'm shooting for over 100k on this baby. I'm in it for the long haul :) If I keep riding her the way I am right now, I'll put 25k on this year.

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
One item to remember is the MT-09 was out in 2013, so it was on the road a year earlier in Europe.

Yamaha MT-09 review - Telegraph

Yamaha MT-09 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for reliability and lifespan, the Japanese have always had way more reliable bikes than any North American or European manufacturers. One of the items that sold my on the 09 was this line in the owners manual.

Text Font Line Design Number

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I'll let you know, I'm shooting for over 100k on this baby. I'm in it for the long haul :) If I keep riding her the way I am right now, I'll put 25k on this year.
maintain it properly and 100K should be a cake walk ...

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Any reasonably well built engine should easily get to 100k miles IF maintained properly.

I've seen Yamaha FZ1, FJR wil over 100k miles and still running great.

I've seen various Honda and Suzuki models up to and past 100k miles.

I have also seen examples of the same model bikes that were garbage at 10k miles because they were not maintained properly. Things like leaving them dirty and allowing them to rust and having out of adjustment chain, bent handlebars, chain lube splattered all over the back half of the bike, oil is black, cheesy mods with questionable workmanship...

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
If I get 100,000 miles out of my bike, I will be 70 years old. Also, this bike is in inline 4-cylinder with one less cylinder. As far as it holding up as well as some of my previous Japaneese bikes, I doubt it. Due to the initial cost point, it is more like a Corolla than an Avalon.

·
Registered
957 Posts
you cant be looking very hard.......and as far as the oil leaks...let it go, since the Evo engines were introduce in 1984, oil leaks are no longer a problem.....but some stereotypes never die...specifically since they are usually parroted by those with no real knowledge of the products
A big part of that comes from the fact that a large portion of Harley Enthusiasts are people who would rather restore/build up old Panheads than own anything powered by an Evo or TC. Apparently building your custom Harley on a Panhead platform is worth "cool points" despite the fact that the motor is nowhere near as versatile, nowhere near as reliable, and is the source of all the old negative Harley stereotypes.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts