1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'd love to have one, but the price/performance just won't be there...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
511 Posts
It was looking good until I got to the weight.....508 lbs. It's a whale, OK maybe not that bad but definitely heavier than the FZ. Steve, you need to go work for a motorcycle magazine, you can't seem to focus on one bike. Got a journalism degree?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was looking good until I got to the weight.....508 lbs. It's a whale, OK maybe not that bad but definitely heavier than the FZ. Steve, you need to go work for a motorcycle magazine, you can't seem to focus on one bike. Got a journalism degree?
Guilty as charged.......I just don't want anything worthwhile to pass you by.:)

PS who wouldn't benefit by losing 15-20lbs...

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm not usually a fan of the little bikes, but the KTM 390 with a 325 lb. dry weight has me looking twice. My wife used to have a Seca II 600 that was really light (at that time), only 49 hp but it was so easy to flick into corners if you just carried some speed. I'm a pretty big guy but I like the low weight bikes, but I don't want a wheezy one that has a hard time doing 65 mph.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not usually a fan of the little bikes, but the KTM 390 with a 325 lb. dry weight has me looking twice. My wife used to have a Seca II 600 that was really light (at that time), only 49 hp but it was so easy to flick into corners if you just carried some speed. I'm a pretty big guy but I like the low weight bikes, but I don't want a wheezy one that has a hard time doing 65 mph.

Yamaha 2015 R3

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the first time i rode a bmw boxer i got off the bike wondering how it was possible to make a motorcycle engine be so unexciting. but you know those germans - they've got the engineering prowess to accomplish anything.

there's just something inherently dull about an even-firing twin. i went through youtube looking for a video clip of a bmw boxer that sounded good and couldn't find a single one. they all sound like they're farting.

sure, the 09's unrefined. it's rough around the edges, raw and brutal. but he's also the life of the party. the r1200 would be his clean-cut older brother who's standing in the corner by himself wondering why no girls are talking to him.

is the r1200 supposed to be the production version of the bmw concept roadster? if so, it's a shame they toned it down so much. the concept roadster at least looks like it has balls.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the KTM has a little more pull and a little less weight.

375 cc vs. 321 cc

324 dry vs. 368 wet

The KTM engine only weighs 79 lbs.
The KTM is also a sharper looking bike for as Lot more money:cool:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i like nothing about this bike

the headlight and mirrors look like cheap shit
it's heavy
it has BMW reliability
it will likely be over priced compared to japanese equivalent models

If i was looking for a liter naked - i'd be looking at the new Suzuki - but honestly the 850 triple on our 09 is just fine for me. If i were to get a new bike down the road - it wouldn't be because i want more power - this provides more than enough for even aggressive street riding IMO.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
the first time i rode a bmw boxer i got off the bike wondering how it was possible to make a motorcycle engine be so unexciting. but you know those germans - they've got the engineering prowess to accomplish anything.

there's just something inherently dull about an even-firing twin. i went through youtube looking for a video clip of a bmw boxer that sounded good and couldn't find a single one. they all sound like they're farting.

sure, the 09's unrefined. it's rough around the edges, raw and brutal. but he's also the life of the party. the r1200 would be his clean-cut older brother who's standing in the corner by himself wondering why no girls are talking to him.

is the r1200 supposed to be the production version of the bmw concept roadster? if so, it's a shame they toned it down so much. the concept roadster at least looks like it has balls.
Yeah, if this is the production version of that beautiful concept, its a BIG shame!
BMW bikes (boxers or their twins) have never felt exciting to me- though they seem so capable but don't seem to have that extra punch to make you grin ear to ear. They are like an old shoe- comfortable and will go wherever you want it to. Maybe one day...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Comfortable like an old shoe.....I like it! I agree. I don't think it's gonna be sporty. Although I hear as a touring bike Beemers can be good. Hard to look past the 150 Hp Concours 14 though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts