Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All, CrazyFox here.

Im new to this forum but definitely a avid forum member since the day 1.

Now I've had my eyes on the FZ07 ever since it was released in the euro market not too long ago as the Mt-07. I finally had the opportunity to get myself familiar with the new bike when i visited Malcolm Smith Motorsports here in Riverside,CA. Long story short I LOVED IT. I'm pretty certain ill be purchasing one in the next few weeks so i went ahead and had the sale person at Malcolm Smith write me up an out the door estimate and whoa what a jump up from MSRP. Yes i am well aware that i wont be driving away with just the $6,990 price tag. I was ready for to pay extra for sale tax, plates and yada yada...But holely cow they wanted $97**.00 out the door for it. That's more than $2000 bucks mark up!! I told the guy i wasn't paying anywhere close to that that number. He offered $8900.00 out the door price. $800 bills off the original price. Still i find it difficult to phantom the extra $2000. I simply nodded at him, told him to give me a call when they get one in Competition White in stock and ill reconsider.

Anyways i went ahead and re-searched from other dealerships around the area with no luck. And having it only been such a short time since it been released to the market i cant seem to find anyone to compare purchase prices with.

Now my question.

1)Can anyone please help me justify why there is a $2000 markup on the msrp. I mean if it was only a couple hundred bucks more i would have written up an order form right there and then.

2) To those who already purchased one, specially in the SoCal region...What did you guys end up paying? I doubt any of you actually payed $9700 for your 07's right? and do you guys recommend other dealerships?

Now, Malcolm Smith just called me and said they have a 2015 Competitions White being delivered in the next couple weeks and they recommended me to sign the papers and lock in the deal because apparently this bikes "hot" right now(not my words, sales persons)

...i dont want to jump in before getting other fz07 owners opinions though! i just cant justify the extra $2000 bucks that i could spend on updating my Gear!

Anyways thats my delema! thanks ya'll!!

-CrazyFox:rolleyes:

·
Registered
159 Posts
The same thing was seen here in So Cal in the beginning with the FZ09 - while it really stinks, and I can not stand paying all of those fees - right now it is a sellers market for a hot bike that is getting a lot of press and Yamaha has not done a great job of shipping large quantities - so dealers want deposits and try to charge a lot of fees. They get away with it, because if you don't buy it - they are pretty sure someone else will.

Of course now with the FZ09, many dealers have them in stock and you can now get them for much more reasonable OTD cost - and find many more in stock on showroom floors.

If you want it now, and need to buy in So Cal, you likely are going to have to pay (not that you can't find slightly better deals - but is not going out the door at MSRP likely) - if you can wait a few months or can buy out of state you can get it much more reasonably priced.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Try Victorville Yamaha, they were the cheapest when fz09 raping was going on. I hear San deigo dealers selling fz09 for $8500otd. I wouldn't pay that price for that fz07. I can't see fz07 being more demand then fz09, since only $1k more. Malcom, chaparral, John burr ain't know for cheap

·
Registered
85 Posts
Find a figure you are willing to pay and tell them. The worst that happens is they say no and you have to wait. Don't sign papers if you are uncomfortable with the deal. They will be sitting in the show room before you know it after the hype has died down.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
A Sacramento dealer up here bought 4 FZ-09s from a dead market (Mojave) and trucked them up here to sell a couple weeks ago. All 4 were sold and people were waiting when the truck showed up. Maybe you should ask around where the market is cold for purchasing bikes like the Central Valley...Modesto had a couple FZ-07s sitting on their floor.

·
Registered
877 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ah yes, the oh so familiar "hot bike" broken record statement that the dealers love to reiterate. Its like these bozos went through some pre-market brainwashing school with there eyelids pried opened and intravenously fed large doses of LSD. I know where you are coming from CrazyFox. What irritates me so much about this situation is that these hired knuckle draggers do this in front of your face without hesitation of lying.
I do understand greatly about a company wanting to turn around a profit, but this crap is highway robbery. Yes I know I'm going to hear from the realist that "there are plenty of people willing to pay that price when your not" good let them, let those knuckle draggers follow suit, and then maybe they can all eventually evolve to rubbing their paws on a black monolith, until those very finite brain cells start to get excited and become crafty with malevolant ideas.
I digress, obviously I am pissed for a reason. CrazyFox my advice would be, be very hard with these people, they need to also realize that if they want to enjoy their Hungryman TV dinner after a hard days rapping, watching repeat episodes of M.A.S.H, then they better be willing to negotiate in this F**ked up economy. Fortunately I found a semi local dealer who I am extremely pleased with giving my business to. Found the color I wanted at a price that was completely fair (7999.00 OTD). I told them my distastes for the other monopoly dealers here in Tucson (Criednow) you get the idea, and the total b.s. they were telling me just to buy an over priced bike, in a color that I did not want. If I am the one with the money and my mind on a specific color why would you tell me that "maybe you would want this color, I think you'll like it more", crazy! Just be patient and keep looking around until you find the deal you are satisfied with.
The numbers that you were talking about were similar to the rundown that I was initially given, until when I asked the dealer to give me a breakdown on where every cent was going then they started stone walling. Luckily for me it worked out for the better, had I not marinated on the previous deals after going through the runaround with the other dealers, I probably would have ended up paying almost 2g's over msrp as this is my first bike purchase. You live and learn and I hope you get your 07 soon in the color you want and don't have your time wasted with the "its a hot item," save it Kevin Trudeau's of the world... I hate sales pitches.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
You can ship a new bike anywhere in the US for 3-5 hundred dollars btw.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I don't think California let's you buy from out of state... I think it has to have 7,500 miles to be registered in California.

That is a terrible price, but in California you are hosed.

My dealer has them for $7044 OTD. That includes all taxes and fees. How? They have the sticker at $5995. The FZ09, sticker is at $6750.

Sucks you can't buy here and "import" it to California.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't think California let's you buy from out of state... I think it has to have 7,500 miles to be registered in California.

That is a terrible price, but in California you are hosed.

My dealer has them for $7044 OTD. That includes all taxes and fees. How? They have the sticker at $5995. The FZ09, sticker is at $6750.

Sucks you can't buy here and "import" it to California.
That is a great price. Only problem is you have to be there to sign the paperwork. I called and was looking at having one shipped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow thank you all for responding so quick!

I guess we're safe to assume that Malcolm Smith and other "reputable" dealers are just full of it. I'm still going to haggle with them after I speak to a representative at the Yamaha Cucamonga dealership. $7800 is about where I want to be at at this point. I'm not going to spend more than a grand on top of msrp no way.

For now I'm just going to sit myself down and wait till Tuesday. Patients is my virtue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am like 10 mins from that $7800 fz07 dealer...Rancho cucamonga yamaha dealer..... surprised they are cheapest so far on fz07 now.... but I bet call Victorville yamaha....might be cheaper there....don't know??? back when fz09 craze was going on...cucamonga wanted $9500 OTD... and Victorville wanted $9200 OTD...... but now on cucamonga website....I see that now they want....$8900 for fz09....so it looks like they have dropped their OTD price by $600 since the fz09 came out....

All I know is that Yamaha is the new king of motorcycle...making what people want, looking good, spec good at killer average people prices..... Fz09, fz07, bolt..... while honda is out of their minds bringing weird bikes, overpriced....suzuki is sleeping...kawasaki is okay, now just falling back....triumph is loosing sales to fz09....to point of now offering free add on to their triple 3 models....

·
Registered
74 Posts
That is a great price. Only problem is you have to be there to sign the paperwork. I called and was looking at having one shipped.
fly out and ride back....besides....shipping cost will run you about +500 or more.... why don't you bring that price quote and have your local dealer or close to match it.....bet they can.....money and sales talk....

·
Registered
28 Posts
fly out and ride back....besides....shipping cost will run you about +500 or more.... why don't you bring that price quote and have your local dealer or close to match it.....bet they can.....money and sales talk....
That would be a long ride. It's alright I ordered my bike here and will have it by the end of the month. Could of had one now but I don't want red.
Dealers here are not moving off of msrp, but did give me a pretty good deal on my trade.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am like 10 mins from that $7800 fz07 dealer...Rancho cucamonga yamaha dealer..... surprised they are cheapest so far on fz07 now.... but I bet call Victorville yamaha....might be cheaper there....don't know??? back when fz09 craze was going on...cucamonga wanted $9500 OTD... and Victorville wanted $9200 OTD...... but now on cucamonga website....I see that now they want....$8900 for fz09....so it looks like they have dropped their OTD price by $600 since the fz09 came out....

All I know is that Yamaha is the new king of motorcycle...making what people want, looking good, spec good at killer average people prices..... Fz09, fz07, bolt..... while honda is out of their minds bringing weird bikes, overpriced....suzuki is sleeping...kawasaki is okay, now just falling back....triumph is loosing sales to fz09....to point of now offering free add on to their triple 3 models....
Hey man whats the verdict on that $7800 OTD price at Cucamonga? If the price if true i might just have an 07 sitting in my garage by the end of the week!! Malcolm Smith just left me a message yet again saying they have one in competition white coming in this weekend. My plan is to show them the Cucamonga Flyer and see if they will price match or even beat that price (which i doubt). If not, i guess im driving to Cucamonga sometime this week...

·
Registered
74 Posts
rancho cucamonga is a hole in the wall dealer....thinking, most probably they don't have it in stock...will probably honor their flyer on their website of $7800 OTD price....but you might be looking at waiting for their stock to arrive..... who knows.....

I will go down there tomorrow and see what they have and what they would do.....but flyer is in black and white...so price is good.....only question is stock availabilty..
or you can just call them and find out what the deal is..... but if you have to wait at malcom and rancho....and rancho is like $1900 cheaper....its a no brainer....
I did happen to go to berts megamall 2 days ago and they had 2 fz09 orange in stock and their only fz07 was already sold section...... almost the same scenario when fz09 crazy buying frenzy was going on... it will die down in about couple of months and price will come down just like it has for fz09..... its all about being patience and readying for the best deal.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I would never, under any circumstances, pay $2000 more than MSRP for any bike or car just so that I can have it now as opposed to being patient and waiting until supply catches up with the demand a bit. No matter what they try to tell you, that additional $$ falls under the ADP(additional dealer profit) category and is perfectly legal, if not the most ethical way of doing business. Keep searching and don't pull the trigger until you find a price point you are personally comfortable with. Best of luck...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts