Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

2015 FZ-09 photos

26K views 53 replies 28 participants last post by  knobbyaddiction 
#1 ·
I was in my local Yamaha dealership near Vancouver today buying winter riding gloves and I noticed they just got 2 2015 FZ's in, one in yellow and one flat charcoal. Love both colors but if I had to live with one day to day I'd have to go with the flat charcoal option personally..

Here's a few iPhone photos I took:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Yellow Fuel tank

See less See more
#2 ·
thanks for posting. i agree, so much so i brought home the graphite 2015 today.

the days almost over so i had to post it just one more time. :)

#3 ·
thanks for posting. i agree, so much so i brought home the graphite 2015 today.

the days almost over so i had to post it just one more time. :)
Sweet ride man! I love my 2014 liquid graphite colors, but I could get into that new flat color too.

#6 ·
I noticed the yellow spring on both bikes in the dealership and for a second I thought maybe they had gone with Öhlins, but after a closer inspection it looks like the same sub-standard shock that's on my 2014 but with a new yellow spring coating.

#5 ·
The chain is now gold and the shock yellow, it is an update, the rear shock it is better than the 2014?

No part number available on yamaha motor.com, what is your impression after ride it?

#13 ·
Yeah, pretty much nothing is available yet for the 2015s. I'm even gun shy on ordering mods in case something subtle changed I don't want to hassle with returns. As far as the ride, some background..never ridden a 2014 FZ-09...I've had a bunch of sportbikes starting in 1986. I would say it seems light and comfortable for 900, like my old 1994 CBR 900RR and has torque like my old 2002 YZF R1, although not as much peak torque it's more steady and on tap than the R1. The R1 would come alive at 9/10k rpms all the way throu redline, while this thing pulls throughout rpm range. Granted I'm still in breakin mode so I haven't even fully tapped into it. One of my brothers used to have several late 70's model Kawasaki H2 500 and 750 triples (three cylinder). I rode those and when the power band hit...you better hold on or the bike will leave you. I feel like thats the way this thing pulls but for the most part throughout rpms.

Ergo wise I love it. I'm a shorter rider at 5'6" so I feel right at home on it. Not diggin the seat. Always loved Corbin so that may be one of the first mods..I really dig the paint scheme. Dying to start modding. Can anyone suggest a solid online parts store for the 9. I'll be doing stuff like small windshield, grill guard, fender elim, slip on exhaust, frame sliders, levers, would like some hand guards too.

Thanks!

Reactions: MoFZio
#9 ·
I was at G.A. Checkpoint Yamaha in Port Moody B.C. in the Vancouver area. It's the dealership where I got my 2014 liquid graphite from. I think the bikes had just been rolled onto the floor because neither of them had a price tag and I didn't think to ask.

Reactions: Thumper
#10 ·
My wife indicated that she wants to take mine for a long spin. She is getting warmed up to the idea of having a Matte Gray one. Nice thing is that I will not have to flash the ECU or upgrade the suspension. She weighs 125 lbs. I know that she will want a pipe, fender eliminator, seat, bars, and handguards though.

#15 · (Edited)
In Canada these two new colour choices will be the only colour choices. No more Liquid Graphite, Orange or Red, just the Yellow and Grey versions.

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4538&group=MC&catId=79

So it's a good thing I found the very last Red one in my area. :cool:

Off the Yamaha Canada website.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive exhaust

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive exhaust

And I just checked, no sign of the 2015's on the US website, it still shows only the 2014's

#14 ·
Glad you're enjoying it! Wait until it's broken in then you can get to the warp speed rpm range that comes on around 7-8k rpms, the torque curve on this motor is straight line from 2k right up to 11k and it feels like it will never stop pulling.

I got my tail tidy, signals and levers from Yamaha, and mostly everything else from Motostarz because they are local and I could drive there and pick them up in person. I also just got an Akrapovic carbon exhaust and Power Commander V from Revzilla, USPS tracking shows they're North of Las Vegas as of last night:cool:

Oh and I have fork springs from Stoltec and sliders from T-Rex as well.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Rim

Reactions: jeffbeezy
#18 ·
I agree. The yellow looks like it just "pops". IMO, they made the grey a little too understated. I walked right by it today when I stopped by the dealership. I like the matte finish, but the should have kept the blurple wheels or some color on the frame

#21 ·
Here are my pics, they aren't the greatest once I got on it having to stop riding to take pictures seemed like a chore :p

If anyone would like a picture of any specific part please let me know and I will see what I can do.

I will try to bring my actual camera with me on my ride tomorrow and see if I can get better quality than my cell phone.

#27 ·
I dig black frame, black wheels, the decal on the air vent. As for the forks I think they are a prime candidate for going Black !

Here are my pics, they aren't the greatest once I got on it having to stop riding to take pictures seemed like a chore :p

If anyone would like a picture of any specific part please let me know and I will see what I can do.

I will try to bring my actual camera with me on my ride tomorrow and see if I can get better quality than my cell phone.

#22 ·
Do you feel the rear shock was better than the 2014, i see that it was not the same color than the 2014, it is the same or not?

#32 ·
How do you feel the throttle vs 2014, it is Better on/off transition in STD / A mode?

#33 ·
Unfortunately I have never ridden a 2014 but even as an inexperienced rider I have been playing around in STD mode and don't find it scary aggressive like I had heard about. So I am not sure if they changed the mapping as I don't have anything to compare it to.

#34 · (Edited)
I, have been taking the wife's new bike to work this week. She wanted me to break it in for her.:rolleyes: The 2015 is slightly smoother in the lower end than my red 14. But I, have no plans on re flashing mine. My other bike is 08 Warrior with 115 torque & tons of engine breaking so the throttle of the FZ was a nice fit for me. Here is her bike with Givi windscreen on. Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive lighting
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Supermoto

#35 ·
I, have been taking the wife's new bike to work this week. She wanted me to break it in for her.:rolleyes: The 2015 is slightly smother in the lower end than my red 14. But I, have no plans on re flashing mine. My other bike is 08 Warrior with 115 torque & tons of engine breaking so the throttle of the FZ was a nice fit for me. Here is her bike with Givi windscreen on. View attachment 10298 View attachment 10299
Looking good and congrats on the new ride for the wife.

I see you have a set of Yamaha engine case guards installed. How do you like them and do you think they will provide good protection for the cases? I don't like the idea of the engine case cover guards, as I think they would just trap more heat in.

#36 ·
On the internet they look big & bulky but, on the bike they blend in & look almost stock.The heat is the exact reason I, went with the Yamaha ones. As far as protection I, think they would be great for drops & lowsides. Highsiding at highway speeds might not end well but, you might have other things to worry about in that situation.

#41 ·
Do you think that they went to stiffer springs on the bike as in less front end dive. The less that I have to spend modifying one for my wife, the better.

Today, 12:26 PM
DNFDOUG
Yes. The 2 things I, noticed right away was the front felt more firm & the throttle cables had almost no slack in them. On my red one I, had to take out a lot of play in the cables.

#46 ·
Yes. The 2 things I, noticed right away was the front felt more firm
according to the parts fiche, the fork springs and cartridges are the same between 2014 and 2015, but the upper and lower tubes, caps, and lower triple clamp have different part numbers. it's possible the '15 has thicker fork fluid in it and that would explain the additional firmness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.