Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't get the " Heroic Knee Drag " pics or video, this week, but will have next week.

Since none of the photogs were there, did a 140 mile loop through Julin, Laguna Mountain and I - 8.

Overall impression favorable.

Less vibration felt at bars and other areas compared to FZ 09.

FZ 07 seat more comfortable FZ 09 aftermarket seat.

It felt more contoured than the FZ 09 seat.

In either case, it helps that I wore padded bicycle shorts under leathers.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
On the approach to Laguna Mt. , took it up to 101 mph + and it felt stable, even sitting straight up.

Ride position slightly more leaned forward, but at any speed above 20 mph, the wind offset any pressure on the bars.

Ride actually felt smoother on the freeway.

Front sag was 35 mm with 230 Lb rider. ( close enough ) :cool:

No sag adjustment available, but could make internal spacers is desired.

Rear sag was 32 mm with rear shock at full pre load. No dampening adjustment available and run a bit soft.

As others have mentioned, the long foot peg feelers were a bit of a nuisance, scrapping around the same time as

my knee puck would, even with more lean angle available.

Only had a borrowed pair of pliers to remove, but surprisingly cam off easy gripping the ball end.

The blue loctite had minimal resistance. I guess they knew a lot of peopl may be removing.

The ride down Palomar was better with almost as much front tire used as rear.

Tires ( Bridgestone BT 023 ) sppear to harder compound that the Dunlops on my FZ 09, having

a finer " grit pattern " of tire boogers. Temps in the low 90's , so grip was ok.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Palomar Mountain is literally across the street.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just 1 round trip pass on Palomar ( 14 miles )

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
High water mark with zip ties after moderate braking, downhill.

Reactions: ktk_ace and Davinci

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will start to get measurements in The Skunk Werkz , this week, but will keep bike stock till next weekend's Palomar running.

Rear shock shorter than FZ 09 at around 12 inches.

Have a 12 inch FZR 750 Ohlins with remote reservoir which may bolt right on.

Haven't measured accurately, yet, but the modified rear wheel / caliper setup from the FZ 09

I sold yesterday, may fit with little or no mods. ( No worries, still have one left :cool: )

Have to check sprocket teeth.

Have pre assembled Ohlins front end from a Duc 1098 S on standby.

Akra TI pipe should be in from the UK in a couple of weeks , or less.

Reactions: ktk_ace and v2Bob

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Didn't get the " Heroic Knee Drag " pics or video, this week, but will have next week.

Since none of the photogs were there, did a 140 mile loop through Julin, Laguna Mountain and I - 8.

Overall impression favorable.

Less vibration felt at bars and other areas compared to FZ 09.

FZ 07 seat more comfortable FZ 09 aftermarket seat.

It felt more contoured than the FZ 09 seat.

In either case, it helps that I wore padded bicycle shorts under leathers.
On the approach to Laguna Mt. , took it up to 101 mph + and it felt stable, even sitting straight up.

Ride position slightly more leaned forward, but at any speed above 20 mph, the wind offset any pressure on the bars.

Ride actually felt smoother on the freeway.

Front sag was 35 mm with 230 Lb rider. ( close enough ) :cool:

No sag adjustment available, but could make internal spacers is desired.

Rear sag was 32 mm with rear shock at full pre load. No dampening adjustment available and run a bit soft.

As others have mentioned, the long foot peg feelers were a bit of a nuisance, scrapping around the same time as

my knee puck would, even with more lean angle available.

Only had a borrowed pair of pliers to remove, but surprisingly cam off easy gripping the ball end.

The blue loctite had minimal resistance. I guess they knew a lot of peopl may be removing.

The ride down Palomar was better with almost as much front tire used as rear.

Tires ( Bridgestone BT 023 ) sppear to harder compound that the Dunlops on my FZ 09, having

a finer " grit pattern " of tire boogers. Temps in the low 90's , so grip was ok.

Looking good...very interested in "lesser vibration" and "smoother" than FZ09. I barely feel any buzz from the 09 with most things stock. A parallel twin smoother than a triple would be a first (for me anyway)! How tall are you? Just sitting on the bike in the showroom, my long legs felt cramped- I have a 32" inseam and am probably a exact 6' tall with thin-soled sneakers. And not sure if you go two-up but reviews on that would be great too.
I have been "selling up" the 07 to many- but I still love the 09 for all that it is.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking good...very interested in "lesser vibration" and "smoother" than FZ09.
I barely feel any buzz from the 09 with most things stock.
A parallel twin smoother than a triple would be a first (for me anyway)! How tall are you?
Just sitting on the bike in the showroom, my long legs felt cramped-
I have a 32" inseam and am probably a exact 6' tall with thin-soled sneakers.
And not sure if you go two-up but reviews on that would be great too.
I have been "selling up" the 07 to many- but I still love the 09 for all that it is.
5 ' 10 " , 30 inch inseam.

Slightly less leg room than the FZ 09, but you get used to it pretty quick.

This is a result of a lower front seat, rather than higher footpegs.

A thicker front seat would be more comfortable and give the extra leg rooom at the same time.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Dolan... did you preload the rear spring or run it in the delivered position? If it went downhill better...maybe the rear needs a slight raising? Thanks for the report. Looking forward to the Go Pro vid up and down the hill.

PS....Yamabits shipped my Akra today.....so probably yours got shipped too.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dolan... did you preload the rear spring or run it in the delivered position?

If it went downhill better...maybe the rear needs a slight raising?

Thanks for the report. Looking forward to the Go Pro vid up and down the hill.

PS....Yamabits shipped my Akra today.....so probably yours got shipped too.
Already had rear shock pre loaded to the max, which is why I got 32 mm sag in the rear with my weight.

Spring adequate, but no dampening adjustment and a soft ride.

Good for the freeway, but not so much in the twisties if ridden hard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
5 ' 10 " , 30 inch inseam.

Slightly less leg room than the FZ 09, but you get used to it pretty quick.

This is a result of a lower front seat, rather than higher footpegs.

A thicker front seat would be more comfortable and give the extra leg rooom at the same time.
This makes it easy, you're the same height and inseam as me and within 15lbs. on the weight, usually the magazine testers are taller and thiner, (also younger)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This makes it easy, you're the same height and inseam as me and within 15lbs. on the weight, usually the magazine testers are taller and thinner, (also younger)
I have bad habits and vices older than them. :evil:

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Dolan, I also live in SD area (Santee). Wanted to ask if you could please list the pros and cons of the 07 vs 09. Reason is because FBC has the 09 for $6996. So trying to decide which bike to go for. I like the 09, but the 07 seems more practical since it has better mpg and fewer issues. I haven't sat on one yet, but the I like the seating position of the 09 since I'm 6'2".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Request a test ride on both and decide yourself. For $7K you're entitled to it. You will probably find the 09 more comfy for your height.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Dolan, I also live in SD area (Santee). Wanted to ask if you could please list the pros and cons of the 07 vs 09. Reason is because FBC has the 09 for $6996. So trying to decide which bike to go for. I like the 09, but the 07 seems more practical since it has better mpg and fewer issues. I haven't sat on one yet, but the I like the seating position of the 09 since I'm 6'2".
The important question is what is the out the door price ?

South bay motorcycle has an orange and red for $ 8500 otd.

Ask for Ted , tell them Chris sent you.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The pros and cons have been discussed a bunch, already.

If I could only have 1 bike, especially at the same price, it would be the FZ 09.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts