Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First rider review from Cycle World magazine....

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 Sport-Tourer First Ride Motorcycle Review- Photos

Fresh on the heels of the FZ-09 sport naked, Yamaha’s best-selling model, comes a new sport-touring variant heavily based on that bike. This new FJ-09, which offers greater comfort and versatility, has been in the works since long before the FZ-09 made its public debut in 2013.
Intermittent rain showers plagued the one-day FJ-09 press ride staged by Yamaha in the coastal mountains near Ojai, California, but they failed to put a damper on my enthusiasm for this machine. I’m happy to report that the new Yamaha FJ-09 makes excellent use of the FZ-09’s 847cc cross-plane triple, the only difference being the mapping of the D-Mode throttle-response characteristics. Basically, the 2015 FJ-09 has less edgy initial fuel delivery in each of the three selectable modes.
Also setting the FJ-09 apart is standard traction control, along with ABS. That’s a smart move by Yamaha. ABS is always active, but TC can be toggled off while the bike is stationary. But be warned: Doing so unleashes the same third gear clutch-less wheelie ability that has made the FZ-09 such a hit with performance buffs. Both systems worked superbly on the slick and damp roads.
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 static side view
The main chassis components remain the same, although a new progressive-rate fork spring with softer initial travel is what likely accounts for a 1-degree reduction in rake. (We’ve asked Yamaha about this and hope to get an answer soon.) That stated, the new FJ-09 offers an excellent blend of stability and agility, aided by what Yamaha says are longer-lasting Dunlop Sportmax D222 Roadsmart II radials. The FJ-09 employs the same KYB suspension components as the FZ-09, although the compression and rebound damping of the fork and shock have been increased for heavier loads and greatly improved ride control.
What’s new is a subframe that’s 5.1 inches longer than the FZ-09’s, to accommodate the roomier and more deeply padded two-piece saddle as well as the detachable slim profile hard saddlebags and 9.8-gallon top case, both of which are accessories. Though roomy, the hard saddlebags will not accommodate a full-face helmet. The FJ-09’s claimed 33.3-inch seat height is 1.2 inches taller than FZ-09’s, and feels even higher due to the increased width near the tank. To accommodate the long-legged, the saddle can be raised an additional 0.6 inches. As for the taper-style handlebar, it’s 1.6 inches wider than the FZ’s and perched on a riser that’s 0.9 inches taller for a more upright and relaxed riding posture. Also, the riser can be rotated 180 degrees to position the bar 0.4 inches forward.
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 instrument panel
While the new 4.8-gallon fuel tank (up 1.1 gallons compared to the FZ) is wider, splaying your knees a bit, the new FJ-09 remains narrower than typical sport-touring or ADV machines. The mid-height windscreen has a 1.2-inch range of tool-less manual height adjustment, and I found both extremes of adjustment to provide decent torso coverage from the rain. Wind rumble was ever present, but there was no head-rocking buffet.
Handguards are standard, and of the 30 available accessories I highly recommend the heated grips ($283.99), which plug into the pre-wired stock harness. An all-new LCD dash features comprehensive trip computer info and a status display for the heated grips, all of which is controlled by FJR1300-style switchgear. A cigarette lighter type of DC outlet is on the left, while there’s a spot for an additional plug ($36.99) on the right to take advantage of the 415-watt charging system.
Available in Matte Gray or Candy Red, the $10,490 Yamaha FJ-09 is a centerstand-equipped sport-tourer that offers exceptional performance, comfort, and convenience at a price that will expand the popular category in a very good way.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Nice! Love the way the dash is set up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I too struggled with the idea of buying an FJ-09 while still owning a FZ-09. Had to rationalize why I wanted the FJ-09 while still having a great naked sport bike. I couldn't do it! If I had not purchased the FZ-09 I would almost certainly purchased the FJ-09. I really need a good touring bike than can double as a commuter bike for work. Even though the FJ has all the right goodies for the job I find the gas tank too small for job. Decided that the new 2015 Versys 650 fits the bill better for my needs. Larger tank, better fuel mileage, and $2500 cheaper. I give up traction control but gain in the more important areas for me.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I too struggled with the idea of buying an FJ-09 while still owning a FZ-09. Had to rationalize why I wanted the FJ-09 while still having a great naked sport bike. I couldn't do it! If I had not purchased the FZ-09 I would almost certainly purchased the FJ-09. I really need a good touring bike than can double as a commuter bike for work. Even though the FJ has all the right goodies for the job I find the gas tank too small for job. Decided that the new 2015 Versys 650 fits the bill better for my needs. Larger tank, better fuel mileage, and $2500 cheaper. I give up traction control but gain in the more important areas for me.
Yeah the Versys 650 possess a lot of bang for your buck in the touring department. The new redesigned 2015 model will offer even more features as you said. Not crazy about the ninja front end though.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Yup, the Ninja front end takes away from the Versys unique look. I thought about getting the FJ too - and after reading reviews and seeing videos, seems like this FJ would be great without losing much of the much loved FZ. Then I thought about the value of the new new Versys- and then now I have settled down to not getting the Versys- it would feel too under-whelming after the rush of the FZ and having ridden a friend's Versys, I know I would surely miss the FZ too much- the FZ packs more punch than the Versys, two-up and with even more luggage on the FZ.
I would get either one only after i give up the FZ, so for a one bike stable, I think the FJ would win. For now, the FZ is too hard to give up- maybe when I have some more miles and cash, I may move on to the FJ if nothing else shows up to disturb the equation.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't say that I "seriously" considered it, but the thought of selling my '08 ST1300 and getting an FJ09 crossed my mind. I've got the ST set up pretty nicely with a color matched European top box (Pan American), both the rider and passenger seats have been "Spencerized", Motorcycle Larry switchblades, Motorcycle Larry handlebar risers with the Ram mount and 12VDC outlet, tank bag with a built in Autocom intercom system, and probably a couple of things I'm missing......so I'm probably not going to sell it as I think it is more roomy for two up riding than the FJ09 would be. On a side note, I'll probably be selling the Autocom intercom system shortly, as I not have the Sena 20S and really don't need the other intercom anymore.

·
Registered
663 Posts
This is a long video, but it shows just about all of the FJ-09 features. The guy is a hoot. A little "salty" language, but who can blame him. I love how he spent a thousand bucks on leathers and a helmet, and then wears converse tennis shoes with it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Interesting - but I'd hate to be sitting next to this guy on a L-O-N-G airline flight! I'm very keen on the bike, though!

L of S

Brisbane, Australia

·
Registered
12 Posts
The guy is an idiot! He should work on his driving habits instead of complaining about others. He rides like he owns the roads.

He can't handle "A" mode without driving like a complete jackass and he seems obsessed with constantly switching between driving modes for no apparent reason.
+1
I totally agree!

He makes sounds like one might expect to hear coming from the south end of a north bound horse!

Paul

·
Registered
457 Posts
The real test of this bike will come when someone loads up the panniers and sets off for a week-long (at least) road trip across varying terrain, and reports back on same.

I put my hand up to be that 'someone' here in Oz.

L of S

Brisbane, Australia

·
Registered
12 Posts
The real test of this bike will come when someone loads up the panniers and sets off for a week-long (at least) road trip across varying terrain, and reports back on same.

I put my hand up to be that 'someone' here in Oz.

L of S

Brisbane, Australia
Let's see how it fares when it's got 30k+ miles on the clock. Time and mile, wear and tear, have a way of exposing the truths.
When the Super Tenere first entered the market place owners raved on the reliability/quality of the beast..... then spokes failed, fork seals leaked, final drive seals leaked, cam chain tensioners failed, the clutch basket caused excessive vibration, hard start issues became a common complaint, instrument panels melt, etc.... Seems there's much less bravado, BMW bashing, and more "how do I fix it" coming from owners now. I'm not bashing the ST, just using it as an example of what can happen when ya give it time.

Paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am glad that "most super Tenere owners are happy with their bikes" and I'll not comment on other Super Tenere issues. No good would come of it!! :whip2:

Seems that the FZ-09 also has had a fuelling issue, but on the 2015 I had a demo ride it had been addressed. Also, I hear the FZ-09 CCT is on the 3rd design iteration, hope that's the final fix!

When I think of the FZ-09 touring and high miles don't come to mind though I suspect some FZ-09 owners have done that. With touring bike I judge them on how well it does when the clocks show 30K+ mile. And YES, since the JR is based off the FZ I would expect a lower probability of issues....... but we all know SHIT HAPPENS!

Paul

·
Registered
53 Posts
The guy is an idiot! He should work on his driving habits instead of complaining about others. He rides like he owns the roads.

He can't handle "A" mode without driving like a complete jackass and he seems obsessed with constantly switching between driving modes for no apparent reason.
Late to the party, I know, but to back up how much of an idiot this guy is, here's a video of him wrecking a Panigale that one of his subscribers lent him for a moto vlog.

On the other hand, I know how he feels about the power of that triple we all love! It's hard to fight the urge to drive like a hooligan on it. I'm strongly considering trading in my FZ for the new FJ. I came close to getting the new Ninja 1000 because I wanted something with more touring capabilities while remaining a fun, sporty bike, but this looks amazing. Going to have to test drive it and maybe wait until more people clock up real miles like roadscum said.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I finally got a chance to see an FJ & FZ side by side at the local bike show today. I am still glad I bought my FZ and have zero regrets. If you are looking for a more touring setup, the FJ is the way to go. But with that said you can still go touring on the FZ with no problem, I just prefer the look of the FZ.

I must admit though, if I was in the market for a 2-up adventure touring bike. I would seriously have to consider a V-Strom 1000 ABS SE and compare it to the FJ.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Check out his video of his crash breakdown video to see what kind of moron he is. He admits no fault yet admits he was not fully aware of his surroundings. He had the bike for a month but still did not feel confident in using the brakes to their fullest. How many bikes has he totaled? Hard to say but he did say based on other bikes he totaled this was as well.

Only loan your bike to this guy if you are hoping to file an insurance claim.

It is easier to fight the urge to act like a hooligan if you are not a moron to begin with. Nature tries its best to weed guys like this out of the gene pool.

This imbecile is from Atlanta and so am I. No one rides 32 mph on a bike through an intersection downtown. Too many obstacles. He blames it on not being familiar with the bike. Bullshit...he just flat froze up when the taxi pulled over. Never hit the brake at all. Not only that but this dude has had 3 bikes and wrecked all three of them. Right after they were wrecked....all three were stolen and never recovered. You do the math.

Reactions: Quasi and Drewski

·
Registered
53 Posts
Does the FJ seem much bigger? I've 'toured' on my FZ around Texas with just some Kriega bags (which are amazing btw) and I have to say I got a bit uncomfortable after a few 500+ mile days in a row. The wind really beat me up. I'm sure a windshield would help though. I don't think the FJ has been touted as an 'adventure' bike, rather a sport-touring bike; correct me if I'm wrong. I probably wouldn't take it off-road at all.

I've ridden a '12 V-Strom 1000 for about 200 miles and it felt okay, albeit a bit large. It's got a bigger front wheel and higher ground clearance for off-road capability.I can imagine the FJ to be more fun and maneuverable on road. The main reason I'd go for the FJ is it 'hopefully' retains the fun factor of the FZ with it's amazing triple. Secondly, it is much more road-worthy, in my opinion, than the V-Strom...and cheaper.

The front fairing, windshield, and saddlebags are the reason I'd make the change from the FZ. I can definitely see myself racking up the miles on one. With the addition of saddlebags and maybe a top-case, a cross-country trip is much more appealing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts