Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Everything but that terribly ugly front brake. Its not better. If it were, they would run it SOMEWHERE else. No other wheeled machine that I know of uses this style brake. I dont think it is patented, so if it is so great, then Moto GP, Formula 1, Les Mans and others would be running it. Hell, bicycles used to run rim brakes but everything is moving toward disc brakes. For attractivness sake, at least put one on either side! :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Fugly. All buell bikes are fugly. Period.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
close to same weight as the FZ (415 dry) with 160hp / 87 ft lb and $2K less than the RX would make me proud to be an 'merican

·
Registered
380 Posts
17 or 18 grand, I would choose something else, def don't like front brake

·
Registered
184 Posts
17 or 18 grand, I would choose something else, def don't like front brake
Me too. You can buy a Tuono, Monster, BMW, and KTM for that price. The RX is the same price as a base Ducati Panigale.
The SX is not the ugliest bike on the market but that front light is. It's worse than the front disc brake. The front view of the bike is disgusting. Also, the bike seems to have a severe forward slope. You might need a athletic cup. Erik Buell is an awesome engineer but they need to hire a good design guy. That said, these bikes RX and SX are the best looking of all his bikes.

Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 9.47.16 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 9.48.14 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-06-12 at 9.48.28 PM.jpg
ebr.jpg

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Not a fan of the different front/rear wheels. Idk... Just never been into them... Ever.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Everything but that terribly ugly front brake. Its not better. If it were, they would run it SOMEWHERE else. No other wheeled machine that I know of uses this style brake. I dont think it is patented, so if it is so great, then Moto GP, Formula 1, Les Mans and others would be running it. Hell, bicycles used to run rim brakes but everything is moving toward disc brakes. For attractivness sake, at least put one on either side! :confused::confused::confused:
Actually, the ZTL brake is patented: Patent US6561298 - Motorcycle front brake rotor mounting - Google Patents

I've had the 'pleasure' of owning 4 different Buells with various ZTL brakes over the years (no EBR bikes, yet). They have ranged in performance from 'oh god, help me!', to 'oh shit this thing stops'. They can work, and it sounds like this newest iteration is working very well. That said, the biggest reason to use the setup is the reduction of unsprung mass. Even the 'old' XB chassis bikes handled amazing. The ride quality was very good given the bikes' price-point, and the lightweight wheel assemblies were a big reason why.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Looks like a powerful machine...but that SEAT! its a plank! Naked bikes are supposed to be at least a little bit comfy, no?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well, it's patented crap. This is NOT a spoiler, no race info. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA! has anyone watched WSBK from Portugal? They talk about EBR and how they tested the bike with regular style, dual front brakes and they gained 3 SECONDS in one day!?! How's that Eric Buell!?! I've said that all along. Crap design.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Buell is a great engineer with some fresh ideas. His bikes show really good attention to detail in some areas, but, look @ the crappy welds on the exhaust can.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've owned and tracked two Buells. For those who are concerned about the brake....don't be. The ZTL brake works MORE than fine. Even on the track with my very heavy self on it. The brake is light weight and does a great job at stopping the bike. Ok..the guys in WSBK are having issues, but they are professional racers....I'd venture to guess most of us here are not. You might think you're fast, but I've been on the track with professional racers. I'm not slow. They lapped me in about three laps. Those guys are serious fast SOBs. Even old Reg Pridmore (first AMA Superbike champion if you don't know) laid waste to me riding two up on a VFR...I was on a Ducati Monster...solo. The guys are damn fast riders.

The next thing you need to know about Buells is they are not "conventional". Erik Buell is a real rider, racer, and an heck of an engineer. The bikes are something special. Even the old watered down Harley powered ones had some magic in them. If you are so inclined, you can drive (or fly) to East Troy, WI and meet the team of folks who built (or will build) your bike. There aren't many of them. They are all riders. They are all passionate about motorcycling. The break room is right by the assembly line. You can sit and have a sandwich and talk about bikes with the people who designed and built your bike. Yes, even Erik Buell if he's there. He's one of the nicest, most approachable guys you'll ever want to meet. I crashed the Buell dealer show when the 1125 first launched. I'm a big guy, and me sitting on that little bike made Erik laugh:

And what motorcycle company owner is cool enough to throw the shocker:

And if you are a Buell racing fan, you're more than welcome to go hang out in the tent at the race. Don't be surprised to see this guy hanging out with you. He is a motorcycle guy through and through. He'll sit and talk bikes with you just like your best riding bud.

I'd love to have the upcoming EBR 1190AX. It's supposed to be their entry into the Adventure Touring segment. Like everything Erik does, it will be awesome. Out of my price range, but awesome none the less.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was quite impressed with the numbers and styling including that rad fan that pulls air out instead of into the motor, and then the headlight happened. It seems like companies are trying too hard with styling headlights these days (except for the fz09). Like the new electric Harley, before I found out it was electric I thought it was one damn good looking bike, then i saw the head light.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts