Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys and gals,

I am looking for some input on a new bike. My wife has been riding the Grom for about a year now and wants a bike that offers more power and sits higher up. She really likes the Duke 390 because of how light weight it is and its low seat height. It is also perfectly in our budget for her new motorcycle. Do you guys think the duke 390 is worth 6k OTD? Do you think it will be good for my wife as her second bike, her first being the grom?

I know it is made in India and considered a cheap KTM, but she would most likely keep it for 2 year and pass it down to my son (he is already riding the grom around the neighborhood). She sat on the ninja300, cbr300, and rc390. She didn't really care for any of the bikes with fairings. Although I could probably talk her into a rc390 (dealer didn't have any r3's yet).

Also, would like bike be enjoyable for me to be a hooligan with? How much of a power increase can I expect out of that single with bolt on's ( Full exhaust, power commander, tune) for down the road of course! :cool: If she gets one it would be the white and orange. Thanks in advance!

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Supermoto Motorcycle racing

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Great idea as long as you've factored in the the underdeveloped dealer network and possible issues with parts etc. If it's trouble free it's a winner! :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'd recommend Honda's CB500F. As far as price/power/performace/fuel comsumption/future proofing it fares better than the smaller CB300F. The 500 is really the perfect size. In fact, if you wanted a non current bike, I'd be waving the flag for Kawi's Ninja 500. You can get 1-1/4 inch bar risers that make it much more of an upright commuter.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Steve's right. Dealer network may not be so good. When is the R3 due in our showrooms? Also, the FZ07 can be had for not much more pocket change than the KTM. If she's ready for more power, it's not a bad option. Going from a thumper to a twin would also be a big plus.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
+ 1 on the FZ07.

And it's highly unlikely you'll feel the need to sink $11,000 into it.:cool:

Reactions: Lee Drew and DTM74

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
It's one sweet looking bike, that's for sure. Looks like a winner in my book, I'd like to own one. Nice that it comes with ABS too.

If it's in your price range, and your wife likes how it feels... I'd go for it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you are going to spend much on power mods I would just get the 690 Duke. The 690 Duke has 67 hp and the 390 has 44 hp. It's another $2k for the 690 Duke, but having 23 more horsepower may be worth it. The seat height on the 390 is 31.5 inches and the seat height on the 690 is just under 33 inches. Coming off a Honda Grom with a seat height of just under 30" the 390 Duke may be an easier transition. Either way they are both great bikes.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Steve's right. Dealer network may not be so good. When is the R3 due in our showrooms? Also, the FZ07 can be had for not much more pocket change than the KTM. If she's ready for more power, it's not a bad option. Going from a thumper to a twin would also be a big plus.
The R3 has arrived in the local showroom (finally), but she's looking for a more upright sitting bike. If she wanted to go as far as the FZ-07 for her next upgrade, that would be a fantastic choice! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@ Mothy: I hadn't looked at the cb500f. But a quick spec check puts it weighing about 100 lbs. more wet, making 8-10 more hp, and similar seat hight. The ABS model is $1000 more. I will find one for her to sit on and she what she thinks.

I agree with you guys about getting a fz07 or duke 690 instead of a 390. More fun for me when I ride it. Although that much torque may be a bit much for her right now. However, they are going to be at a minimum $2000 more for an fz07. So that puts us in the financing range for one of those, and we would really like to keep the price within our cash budget.

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
In the meantime, keep your eye out for a Used FZ07.

Never say never.:cool:

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'd get my wife the KTM if she ever wanted to take up riding.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
They sell it here in Aus as learner legal, and it's the only bike in the KTM range that is sold everywhere - any country that sells KTM sells the 390, as fare as I'm aware.
I doubt you will be able to buy go faster parts (not like just chucking a flatslide on my old KTM 640SM)

If it was for me, id want the 690. But i think it's a great choice for a step up from the grom.
An Aussie review for you.
2014 KTM 390 Duke | Australian Motorcycle News

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just picked up my woman a 2015 CB300F. Got to say, I'm impressed with it. With up 2 up on it, it hit 86 mph on the highway. My woman had the same feeling about fairings. She hated anything with them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
R3 's suspension is pretty soft up front , imho if ur missus is < 150 pounds, might work .

Thou the DUKE 390's are coming up with slipper clutches, if thats your thing , might wanna wait for the slipper clutch equipped Dukes.

or a FZ07. nice bike, very ridable straight outta the box!

PS. i envy your son!!

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
FZ07s sales have probably been almost as strong as the 09 since their release. I would expect a lot of those owners seriously wanting to trade up to the 09, putting all of those used 07s on the market. There should be some great values showing up in the near future. We're already seeing this with heavily modded FZ09s.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I'd been looking for a second bike to compliment the FZ09 for awhile and fortunately found a mint condition FZ6R which has turned out to be ideal. In retrospect, if I had settled for one of the many used 250's, 300's, or 500's I was considering I'm now convinced it wouldn't have worked out nearly as well for me....I hope this is good food for thought.

Two thumbs up for the FZ07.

Just my two cents.:cool:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I would really like to get a fz07. If I can find a minty used one in our price range that would be great. May be looking into the gladius (sv650) as well. At least I would be able to occasionally ride them without feeling underwhelmed. But if i had my pick for her it would be the fz07. It is much more powerful that the 390 duke and heavier, so those may be issues for her that I would need to smooth over. Thanks for the suggestions!!!:D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts