Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! First post here, so I thought I'd make it a good one.

Just stopped by a dealer on my way home from work today, and they have a leftover orange 2014 for $7450 out the door and a yellow 2015 for $8200 out the door.

My question to you guys: are there any differences between the '14 and '15 models? I already asked about reflashing the ECU on the '14 to fix the jerky throttle, and she said that will be done before the bike leaves their shop.

Also, as a side note, I would not buy the yellow (no hate, just not my color), so I'd have to special order the gray or red which would be a +$350 for freight.

So, the difference between the '14 and '15, cost wise, is $1100. That's enough for a full exhaust system and some other mods.

Thoughts? Advice? Guidance? Wizardry?

Thanks!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Go 2014!

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
806 Posts
A paint job to, someone took a orange tank and made it Black with flames. Just as long as it wasn't a demo why not.

Welcome to the site

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm 98.34876% sure it's brand new.
When I asked her if the ECU had already been flashed she said no because they didn't want to put a battery in it, which says to me its never been ridden.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Also, as a side note, I would not buy the yellow (no hate, just not my color), so I'd have to special order the gray or red which would be a +$350 for freight.

Thanks!
For me it was the opposite .. if no Yellow I most likely would not have one in my garage !!

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Get the 2014. Differences are minimal. I have a 2015 and after my first 100 miles feel the throttle is jerky, which was supposed to be fixed. I'm smoothing it out by adding friction with my Kaoko cruise control, but I'm probably going to get the cam throttle being discussed on other threads. G2 Throttle Tamer for $80.

Once they're out the door, they're both used, so save some money.

And welcome to our site. Good luck with you decision.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ya for the money if you are not drawn to one of the 2015 colors grab the 14 and make sure they do the reflash. I love my yellow 15 and would take it over any of the others but essentially it is the same bike once the 14 is reflashed and has the headlight wiring recall done.

·
Registered
433 Posts
You guys didn't mention the revalved suspension for the 2015. Spring rate stays the same, but the valving was modified to get rid of the noodle ride, supposedly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had this same decision to make six weeks ago - I opted for the Orange 2014 @ $6900. Orange is the best color anyways! :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
your out the door prices are both lower than my 14 was otd, the only major difference is the headlight, the 14s sucks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I mean, different strokes for different folks.
Never been a yellow fan. I will say the FZ-09's yellow is significantly better than some other yellows I've seen on various snowmobiles and ATVs, but I think that has to do with the yellow:black ratio.

I actually didn't know about the wiring recall. Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be sure to ask about that!

@River, how does the '14 headlight suck? Is that part of the wiring recall?

·
Registered
833 Posts
The recall doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the headlight. Basically the wiring is too short. They extend it.

Reactions: voytek

·
Registered
654 Posts
I haven't seen a 2015 headlight shining in the dark, but don't they come with an led headlight like all the 2014 guys are paying to swap too (I realize this has nothing to do with the recall, I bring it up because the thread was comparing 14s to 15s)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Pretty sure my '15 didn't come with an LED headlight...

I'd say go for the '14. $1100 cheaper?! Doesn't matter if the suspension was changed in the '15 model, it still needs lots of improvement.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts