Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, yeah. I hear it a lot. "Why are you riding a sportbike at Rally?". Because. That is the true spirit of the Rally. Do you ride a motorcycle? Great. You're in.

Sturgis Rally is not what it used to be even 10 years ago. Gone are the days of biker clubs and such. It has gone mainstream. Lots of concerts, vendors, and good times. Tons of different bikes to look at and get ideas from.

Anyway, after being without a bike for the last couple of Rally's, I am pretty excited for this year. I have my FZ, my good friend just bought a S1100RR that should be here any day, and my other buddy has a Warrior that is just evil. We all have already put in our vacation time so we can make full use of the rally. The good thing us locals have is knowledge of the fun roads around here, and how and when to get to downtown Sturgis to avoid the heavy traffic.

Most of the concert lineups have been announced except for the Full Throttle (don't expect much there, played out IMO), and Glencoe Campground. The Buffalo Chip has some good concerts this year, and one of them is going to be a once in a lifetime event. Two words: Montly Crue. Last tour. Ever. Oh yeah, Alice Cooper is opening. Tickets are $65. That one is on Tuesday August 5th. The other concerts we plan on attending are happening at Easyriders Saloon downtown. Skillet, P O D, Hairball, and Theory of a Deadman are the ones I want to see. All concerts there are FREE. It is a smaller venue than the Chip, and usually pretty easy to hob nob with the bands and such. Plus they have a dance club in house that gets pretty crazy after 10pm.

It would be cool if some of my other FZ09 brethren could make it to Rally and ride around with us. I would be a good opportunity to talk to some vendor companies to see what they have planned for the FZ. I plan on finding my best option to get a custom seat made.

So there it is. I am taking 5 days off for the rally to ride, and have fun with my buddies. Let me know if you would like to join us or meet up!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am thinking about going. Will let you know if I decide to go. Are you tent camping?
Nope. I live here. It's a 20 minute ride from my house to downtown Sturgis. We are considering finding a lawn or house to crash on near downtown if shennanigans merit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am definitely going with my FZ! gonna be hanging out with the family full of cruisers so i may have to go hang with some other sportbikes while im out there!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im just checking to see if anyone for sure is going to make it? If so, we need to meet up! I took the whole week off of work!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm leaving (trailering from) Birmingham AL Saturday 8/2 and spending a week in the Sturgis area (we are staying in Spearfish). I won't be on the FZ-09 though, going up with a bunch of Harley friends so I'm on a Triumph Bonneville for this one.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We had a good time this year. I only saw one other FZ09 in blazing orange riding around. I tried to flag him down, but he didn't stop.

I met Ricky Gadsen (helluva guy!), Jason Britton, Ian Gaines. They put on a great show. I also spent a lot of time at the demo ride tents, and rode just about every Yamaha out right now, including the FZ07! I fell in love with the Tenere ES, and the FJR. One of those might be my next bike. Rode the Bolt, which is completely gutless. The FZ07 was fun. It would be a great around town bike. The new R1 is a blast and sounds great with gobs of power. It's on my list, but not the most comfortable ride for this guy. I also rode the Victory High Ball, which really impressed me. If I ever DID buy a cruiser, it would probably be that.

Concert wise, Skillet was the best IMO. Their sound was amazing. Their bass passed right thru you. POD was good as well. The others were just, eh.

I met and talked to one of the main actual Yamaha Factory mechanics. He was interested to talk to me as I was one of the first FZ09 owners he has really had a chance to talk to. He said the CCT issue is still up in the air, and the new service bulletin to "fix" the original tensioner is what they are going with. He said the issuance of the 3rd gen CCT is on hold, and WILL NOT be released to save money for now.

I also met and talked to with great length the main R&D guy at Dynojet. Very nice and smart guy. He said when I finally get my exhaust, to give him a call at any hour if I have any questions with the PCV. He loves the FZ09, and he has been mapping it extensively lately, and advised me that ALL aftermarket exhausts available for the FZ NEED a PCV. Also showed me how to hook up their quickshifter, which I am most definately going to get. Very informative guy.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The opening weekend I drove a truck up 83 then filled at Murdo . I used to pass through sturgis but now go east through Pierre. It's a permit issue. Vehicle Transport Mode of transport Truck Car
This weekend I had a different one and passed through Indianapolis . Different crowd almost unseen, maybe 10 or less motorcycles unlike the thousands up in sturgis areas. Transport Asphalt Vehicle Truck Road surface

1 - 11 of 11 Posts