Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow bikers,

I'm facing a vibration problem on the bike which can be felt through the footpegs and handlebars when cruising and hard acceleration from 6000RPM to 7500RPM. The vibrations sort of feels like riding through small rocks. Vibrations are gone when clutch is pulled in. The bike is smooth when it's outside of the 6-7.5k RPM range. I know vibrations are normal for 3cyl bikes but the vibrations at this RPM range is enough to damage my phone's camera stabilization module and gives me numb limbs only after 1 hour of ride.

I've changed the clutch thinking it's broken but everything was fine when I opened it up. So I did the upgrades anyways. I've brought it to the local agent as well but the problem still persists.

Bike setup as below :
Akrapovic Ti full system (no baffle & de-cat)
Gecko Friction plates
Gecko Steel plates
Extreme Creations Clutch Basket
Brand new clutch boss (original Yamaha)
EBC HD clutch springs
Puig Engine sliders
R&G full engine cover
CO value @ 14-14-14

Bike details:
2014 MT-09
Bike used in Tropical country
Current mileage 33222km
First noticed vibrations - 22000km
Bike serviced every 3000km with Castrol Power 1 10W-40
New NGK spark plugs @ 25k km
New OEM air filter @ 28k km
New OEM sprocket @ 28k km
New DID 525 gold chain @ 25k km
New OEM rear sprocket @ 32k km
Changed clutch system at 32k km
Throttle body balancing & cleaning @ 32k km
Michelin Road 5 @ 32k km

I've tried lowering the CO values to 6-4-6 and the vibrations seems to be less but it's still there.

Really appreciate if anyone has any idea on what could be wrong or have any possible fixes to share.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Are the vibes present when held at those revs in neutral?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the vibes present when held at those revs in neutral?
No vibrations when in neutral, clutch in while bike rolling. Virbations are more pronounced from 3rd gears onwards under load, but it's there as well on 1st and 2nd gear, jsut not as pronounced.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
I meant with the bike stationary, in neutral. You said the TB's were balanced. Who did it and are you sure they're correct? Is the idle steady?
It's starting to sound like the problem is on the driven side of the gearbox. Which is strange if you've just replaced the clutch.
I don't remember where the clutch dampers are located. If they're in the clutch boss, that could be where to look. The Yamaha unit isn't the best.
There's a thread in here somewhere about modifying the dampers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I meant with the bike stationary, in neutral. You said the TB's were balanced. Who did it and are you sure they're correct? Is the idle steady?
It's starting to sound like the problem is on the driven side of the gearbox. Which is strange if you've just replaced the clutch.
I don't remember where the clutch dampers are located. If they're in the clutch boss, that could be where to look. The Yamaha unit isn't the best.
There's a thread in here somewhere about modifying the dampers.
TB were done at the dealer. It's jsut dirty to begin with and never had any issues with idling. The basket dampeners were still ok without much free play. So I didn't change it with the WR450 dampers like what the other threads suggested. But then, I don't think the dampeners would cause such heavy vibrations, would it?

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Running out of ideas.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello fellow bikers,

I'm facing a vibration problem on the bike which can be felt through the footpegs and handlebars when cruising and hard acceleration from 6000RPM to 7500RPM. The vibrations sort of feels like riding through small rocks. Vibrations are gone when clutch is pulled in. The bike is smooth when it's outside of the 6-7.5k RPM range. I know vibrations are normal for 3cyl bikes but the vibrations at this RPM range is enough to damage my phone's camera stabilization module and gives me numb limbs only after 1 hour of ride.

I've changed the clutch thinking it's broken but everything was fine when I opened it up. So I did the upgrades anyways. I've brought it to the local agent as well but the problem still persists.

Bike setup as below :
Gecko Friction plates
Gecko Steel plates
EBC HD clutch springs
Puig Engine sliders
R&G full engine cover
CO value @ 14-14-14

Bike details:
2014 MT-09
Current mileage 33222km
Michelin Road 5 @ 32k km

I've tried lowering the CO values to 6-4-6 and the vibrations seems to be less but it's still there.

Really appreciate if anyone has any idea on what could be wrong or have any possible fixes to share.
I suspect it is the mods you made to the clutch that is causing the vibration. Good luck chasing this down.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I suspect it is the mods you made to the clutch that is causing the vibration. Good luck chasing this down.
Yeah, sometimes parts from four different manufacturers don't work together like they should.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello fellow bikers,

Bike setup as below :
Gecko Friction plates
Gecko Steel plates
EBC HD clutch springs
Puig Engine sliders
R&G full engine cover
CO value @ 14-14-14

Bike details:
2014 MT-09
Current mileage 33222km
Michelin Road 5 @ 32k km

The problem was there with OEM parts. And problem still persists after Changing parts. And from the wear and tear of the original clutch parts, it didn't seem like the clutch was the problem to begin with.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Check the engine mounting bolts. A broken or loose bolt can cause engine vibration.

When did you install the Puig Engine sliders. Do these attach to an engine mount? If so make sure they are properly torqued.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check the engine mounting bolts. A broken or loose bolt can cause engine vibration.

When did you install the Puig Engine sliders. Do these attach to an engine mount? If so make sure they are properly torqued.
All bolts and mounts checked and torqued. Still same..

Try puting back the original exhaust
Thought of that. Will try it soon.

Just found out that there's clunking sound coming from front sprocket side; chains out, idling at gear 2. Will bring to dealer to have that checked out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
7 Participants
EvilGorilla
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
We’re the largest Yamaha forum for owners and enthusiasts of the FZ-09 and MT-09. The site has thousands of topics covering performance and reliability, photos, videos and more!
Full Forum Listing