Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

When I started my 2014 FZ09 yesterday , I noticed it sounded weird , like its misfiring . After I started ridding i realize it was a very choppy in low RPMs. After a few minutes I just came back home as the bike sounded horrible.
My only mod is an M4 and I have about 29000 miles, and never had any issue.
I kinda recall the bike was getting harder and harder to ride in the low RPMs lately

As I live in the USVI, going to a Yamaha dealer is not an option.
. If its an issue your familiar with, please let me know , this bike is my only ride.

Thanks
David

·
Registered
435 Posts
Remove and drain the tank, fill with known good Non-ETOH 92, add a can of Seafoam and ride it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
435 Posts
I can't even find 92 here with ethanol, let alone ethanol free. I'm jealous that most of the US has both better gas and that it's less expensive.
So you live in an extremely humid area...you should always top off your tank after riding and add a good anti-ETOH stabilizer like Startron...you can find it at the Marinas surely. Are you sure there isn't non-ETOH at the marina?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
I agree with everyone else, most likely bad gas.
You mentioned 29K so my first thought was valve adjustment. These things are famous for tight exhaust valves but yours had more of a fuel problem sound.
If for some reason you haven't adjusted the valves park that sucker and at least check them!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Maybe even a throttle body sync ... strange how the RPM's stay steady ... one way to check if it is a plug after that first start about 30 sec. turn it off and check the pipes and see if they are all about the same temp or at least hot.... my way wet fingers and touch the header for a sec. re-wet try the next ...

·
Registered
61 Posts
A pyrometer is a great tool to have when troubleshooting misfires or fueling issues on a cold starts. @abe57 's method for touching the pipes also works well! (same thing really).

Definitely interested on hearing what the solution was.
Does sound like ignition to me.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
If they're the original plugs, change them. They're due. Do a TB sync. And do what others have suggested about fuel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep, sounds like a mis-fire. Plug or coil pack.
Wet a paper towel and touch each header just after start up.
You will detect a mis-fire by less sizzle.
Or borrow an infra-red thermometer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello :)

Verdict : bad gas.

I emptied the tank , added new gas with a scoop of Seafoam , and the bike is purring again !
Thanks everyone for your help and recommendations.

Im probably due for my plugs and will put this on my to do list.

Thanks guys !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts