Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone owned one, or spent time riding one?

This morning I ran one, with my 2008 Kawasaki Versys, from 5 MPH, to just over the Ton. We were neck n neck.........yes he was trying, and works at a bike shop.

Too bad he did not want to discuss the run off, when I followed him to work!

The specs on the bike are quite good 95 H.P. / 60 fT.#.

I do know, they have various mapping choices, this rider was running aggressively before we squared off.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
A year ago, before the 09, before the Triumph Street Triple, I was considering the Shiver. Just online, haven't seen one in person. A bit heavy for my taste, something 470 pounds?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The specs on the bike are quite good 95 H.P. / 60 fT.#.
aprilia quotes fantasy numbers.* in reality the shiver puts down around 75hp to the back wheel. not that much more than the versys which is why you were both neck and neck.

* ktm is the best at this. the '180hp 417 pound' superduke r 1290 actually only puts down ~150hp and weighs about 470 pounds on earth.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aprilia quotes fantasy numbers.* in reality the shiver puts down around 75hp to the back wheel. not that much more than the versys which is why you were both neck and neck.

* ktm is the best at this. the '180hp 417 pound' superduke r 1290 actually only puts down ~150hp and weighs about 470 pounds on earth.
That makes sense, my Versys rolled 63.74 RWHP.....Bone stock it weighs 450# with a full tank.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I've never owned the Shiver, but I had the DorsoDuro for a little over a year before I sold it to buy the FZ09. I liked it a lot, but the FZ09 is a much better bike in my opinion. Better handling, more power, better dealer network available, and as yet to be determined, probably a more reliable and less expensive to repair motorcycle. Don't get me wrong, I didn't have any issues with the DorsoDuro while I owned it, but I just didn't get the warm fuzzies on reliability like I do on the Japanese bikes........and the nearest dealer was over 100 miles away and because of the winding twisty backroads and no interstate to get there, about a 2 1/2 hour drive. And as a side note, if I'm not mistaken, the Shiver and the Dorso have the same motor, with maybe just a little tuning differences between them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i looked at a shiver very hard before i decided on the fz. The bike is almost identical in weight,looks good, but engines are not even close. What made my mind up was asking about parts, they where higher and not as available as the fz was. For a new 2013 model shiver only $6900 good deal for a bike but could not get away from the fz.
If i was going to get another bike a Aprilia would probably be my choice.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had dark blue 2009 Shiver 750. My first naked sport bike that completely changed my mind about sport bikes. The bike is nice for long rides. It doesn't get up like the FZ-09 though... Parts and service are expensive. Had to do service at the local BMW bike shop.

Had a electrical issue that the mfg knew about but didn't issue a recall. The local bmw dealer couldn't reproduce the problem so they wouldn't fix it. I wrecked it less than two weeks from getting it back from dealer, had major service done. So no more aprilia and/or bmw for me. And I was eye balling the new bmw streetfighter at the time...

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
i looked at a shiver very hard before i decided on the fz. The bike is almost identical in weight,looks good, but engines are not even close. What made my mind up was asking about parts, they where higher and not as available as the fz was. For a new 2013 model shiver only $6900 good deal for a bike but could not get away from the fz.
If i was going to get another bike a Aprilia would probably be my choice.
The two bikes are no where near the same weight. The Shiver is 417lb DRY weight, which is probably a lot closer to 460lbs or so wet weight. The FZ is listed at 414 wet, but actually closer to 417 wet weight.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
The weight difference is quite noticeable.
I agree! I had the DorsoDuro and it's actually listed at 10lbs less than the Shiver. The weight difference between the D.D. and the FZ09 was very noticeable. Performance isn't even in the same ballpark......hands down FZ09

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yeah, weight was one of the things that stopped me from getting a Shiver, I have a personal policy of not going much over 400 pounds wet. A '79 GS750 taught me that lol. A well reviewed bike of the time but not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Mate has a 2012 Shiver 750. Pretty sick bike, styling not my cup of tea though. That bike can really stick through turns though.........on rails. Nice set of Termi underseat exhausts give it some real nice lungs.

Get this though. After seeing my 09 more and more, and each time something else that I have added to it (not to mention the suspension and ECU upgrades), he is seriously questioning having spent so much.........on so little. He thought he was on a winner as it was Italia......lol. Only to find out everything just costs 3 times as much, and 3 times less parts available.

He said he is kicking himself that he didnt look further into more bikes when he was looking around. And he was looking whilst the 09 was released. He was distinctly searching for a naked/motard/streetfighter style.

Over 4k difference between the two bikes in Oz. And that 4k buys you a great deal of upgrades. Already he has ridden my bike, and took all of a few minutes for him to declare that my 09 far outguns his Shiver.......in looks, suspension, engine, comfort...........wheelies. His Shiver can mono, but to no length as the 09 can. And with far more effort than the 09 requires.

So a 2012 Shiver owner, wishes he bought an 09. Suffer in ya jocks Roger.

Me........I am super glad I researched. Otherwise I would have ended up with a Street Triple with those godawful fugly headlights lol. I seriously wanted a triple cylinder bike, so glad I found the 09.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I had a 2010 versys 650 (put about 35,000 ks on it) and my brother used to own a shiver (he put 80,000 ks on it before trading it recently for a 2014 tuono). I have borrowed the shiver every now and then during his 4 or 5 years of ownership..

I really didn't like the shiver. not that much power down low, and it ran out of puff up top as well. His first bike was a suzuki GS500, the shiver felt like the GS, but a bit more powerful, and with more electrics riding modes, etc.
If you put your toes on the shiver's pegs, it pushes your ankles out wide - the heel guards are strange. Handlebars aren't quite right.
A good step up from a learner bike, but the spec sheet is much better than the bike.
He finally traded it because it was okay at a lot of things, but wasn't great at anything. I honestly preferred my versys 650 to his shiver.
His new Tuono, however is bloody brilliant.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Mate has a 2012 Shiver 750. Pretty sick bike, styling not my cup of tea though. That bike can really stick through turns though.........on rails. Nice set of Termi underseat exhausts give it some real nice lungs.

Get this though. After seeing my 09 more and more, and each time something else that I have added to it (not to mention the suspension and ECU upgrades), he is seriously questioning having spent so much.........on so little. He thought he was on a winner as it was Italia......lol. Only to find out everything just costs 3 times as much, and 3 times less parts available.

He said he is kicking himself that he didnt look further into more bikes when he was looking around. And he was looking whilst the 09 was released. He was distinctly searching for a naked/motard/streetfighter style.

Over 4k difference between the two bikes in Oz. And that 4k buys you a great deal of upgrades. Already he has ridden my bike, and took all of a few minutes for him to declare that my 09 far outguns his Shiver.......in looks, suspension, engine, comfort...........wheelies. His Shiver can mono, but to no length as the 09 can. And with far more effort than the 09 requires.

So a 2012 Shiver owner, wishes he bought an 09. Suffer in ya jocks Roger.

Me........I am super glad I researched. Otherwise I would have ended up with a Street Triple with those godawful fugly headlights lol. I seriously wanted a triple cylinder bike, so glad I found the 09.
And... For 2014 Aprilia dropped the price of the Shiver like $2,000 from the previous year. Why do you think they did that???

To try to compete with the FZ-09

·
Registered
555 Posts
Still wouldnt compete. They would have to drop another 2 from that again to interest me, and throw in some free goodies.

The 09 shits all over it. From my perspective, and the perspective of someone who owns a Shiver!!!!

Should see the look I get every time he sees my bike parked next to his. Such disappointment. I feel for him.

But only for a brief moment. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Still wouldnt compete. They would have to drop another 2 from that again to interest me, and throw in some free goodies.

The 09 shits all over it. From my perspective, and the perspective of someone who owns a Shiver!!!!

Should see the look I get every time he sees my bike parked next to his. Such disappointment. I feel for him.

But only for a brief moment. ;)

I must totally agree and I've owned the '09 Shiver til it decided to throw me off. Which I don't mind since I now have this awesome bike with Blurple rims...haha.

The FZ09 CLOWNS the Shiver all day...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts