Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that the FZ-09 has 41mm shocks just like the newer R6.
any thoughts?? you can get a set for $300 bucks on ebay

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I got lucky with the ZX-10 rear shock. Only 2 things that can happen... you'll be a hero or have a set of R6 fork for sale on ebay if it doesn't fit. Know anyone with a R6? It seams like few R6 parts might fit... brake pads does and I assume the rotors look like they might... Some Ebay sellers have a return policy... that would be interesting to check it out. My R&D budget is down to $0 right now... LOL

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got lucky with the ZX-10 rear shock. Only 2 things that can happen... you'll be a hero or have a set of R6 fork for sale on ebay if it doesn't fit. Know anyone with a R6? It seams like few R6 parts might fit... brake pads does and I assume the rotors look like they might... Some Ebay sellers have a return policy... that would be interesting to check it out. My R&D budget is down to $0 right now... LOL
was it a direct fit??

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Pretty much... look at my bike built. There's few pictures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I think the general consensus on R1 forks was that they'd lower the front too much, reduce the trail too much, etc. Basically screw up the suspension geometry, especially considering that the FZ-09 is already a very quick turning machine. I'm not going to try to induce head-shakes and tank slappers :) I think the R6 forks would be similar. I was bummed, because I already had a front end off an '08 R1... So I was wanting to do it not too long ago.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the general consensus on R1 forks was that they'd lower the front too much, reduce the trail too much, etc. Basically screw up the suspension geometry, especially considering that the FZ-09 is already a very quick turning machine. I'm not going to try to induce head-shakes and tank slappers :) I think the R6 forks would be similar. I was bummed, because I already had a front end off an '08 R1... So I was wanting to do it not too long ago.
i think the R1 shocks are to big,no??

·
Registered
877 Posts
The main thing is most sport bike forks, be it Yamaha, Ducati , or whatever will be about 2 inches too

short, on average.

Some of the nekkid or "adventure" bikes that have higher necks may be close, though so far the best

I came up with is the Aprilia Dorsoduro, which may need about 1 mm shaved from

the tube to fit the FZ 09 trees.

Will try to measure some Jap forks at the dealer, this week.

·
Registered
730 Posts
forks..... shock absorber is in back...................

·
Registered
651 Posts
yes i stand corrected....some times i have a brain fart...:laughing7:
To be precise the 'shock absorber' is the spring in a suspension sytem and the 09 has two of those at the front and one at the rear.The dampers are there to control the absorbtion and dissipation of the energy the spring receives as the suspension reacts to bumps and undulations in the road surface.

And a radiator is actually more of a convector than a radiator.

:)

·
Registered
962 Posts
More things need to match up to be able to swap forks than the swap shock. Length, diameter, axle diameter, space between the forks, brake mounts location, fender mounts...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Marthy - what year zx10r did you borrow a shock from? And you said this was basically a straight swap? No machining or fabbing parts ...

thanks -

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Marthy - what year zx10r did you borrow a shock from? And you said this was basically a straight swap? No machining or fabbing parts ...

thanks -
Search is your friend as there are about 100 threads talking about ZX10/6 shock swaps and a "sticky" suspension thread that is easily accessed/found

·
Registered
3,079 Posts

thanks -
2008-10 is what I have. All you need to do is drill the hole in the shock for the FZ09 hardware... or go fancy and get a 12 to 10mm sleeve.

Like Moto said, there a few very detailed thread around.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
514 Posts
If they are on ebay post a question asking for measurements of overall length and diameter of the upper tubes. If the seller really wants to sell, they'll probably answer with the info you request.
But as JustWantToRide pointed out you may need more than just the length and diameter measurements. What about the axle? If you have to buy a new front wheel ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts