Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured this would be appropriate to put here since a lot of us FZ owners are the type that ride or at least appreciate supermoto. I'm building a supermoto bike out of my 2008 YZ450F. Before:

I tore it down to do some maintenance, mainly out of boredom rather than necessity. Full chassis lube, fork seal maintenance, carb clean, valve check, flush brake lines, lube cables, stuff like that.

Got it partially re-assembled. Once I have the parts I'll wire it up and finish putting it together.

This is my parts list so far:

Warp9 17" wheels

Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires

ProRacing stator

Rectifier/regulator

12v 1.2ah SLA battery

Headlight s/w

Power & ignition key s/w

Brake s/w

Brake light

DHH headlight

LED bulb

Vapor computer

Chain block

Supermoto fender

I should hear back from the DMV on my plate today or tomorrow. Once I have confirmation that the plate is on the way, I'll start ordering parts.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Awesome! Always wanted to do this. Can't wait to see the end result.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
If the sumo wheels will stay on the tarmac, I've used continental SM tyres that were really good, and (if you can still get them) pilot power pures were brilliant on my KTM640sm, but pretty crappy on my vfr streetfighter. Carcass was too light for the vfr, but great for the light weight SM.
This'll be a fun build to watch.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
how do you envision using this bike vs. the 09? Curious of the guys who have super motos - they all seem like cool bikes but i'm just not sure it would get any ride time for me over an 09...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
What criteria did you use when finding sm wheels. I am looking into doing on the klx.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how do you envision using this bike vs. the 09? Curious of the guys who have super motos - they all seem like cool bikes but i'm just not sure it would get any ride time for me over an 09...
This might actually get more seat time than the FZ. This bike I'm building is actually the reason I got the FZ...very similar in some ways. I thought it was a lost cause trying to get a dirt bike plated in Oregon so I had given up on this idea. Only a few days ago did I learn of a loophole, thanks to a member of this forum, while discussing already street legal options like the WR250R. Now my plate is in the mail (as of this afternoon). F-ya, go time.

Aside from the kickass factor of ripping around town on a motocrosser, you're ripping around town on a motocrosser. Did I mention ripping around town on a freakin motocrosser?! It only weighs 219 dry lol...you think the FZ is flickable! It will probably get around town and track duty mostly with some occasional dirt and gravel roads, leaving the longer distance stuff for the FZ. Or when I really need a punch in the pants...the FZ is good for that too.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
This might actually get more seat time than the FZ. This bike I'm building is actually the reason I got the FZ...very similar in some ways. I thought it was a lost cause trying to get a dirt bike plated in Oregon so I had given up on this idea. Only a few days ago did I learn of a loophole, thanks to a member of this forum, while discussing already street legal options like the WR250R. Now my plate is in the mail (as of this afternoon). F-ya, go time.

Aside from the kickass factor of ripping around town on a motocrosser, you're ripping around town on a motocrosser. Did I mention ripping around town on a freakin motocrosser?! It only weighs 219 dry lol...you think the FZ is flickable! It will probably get around town and track duty mostly with some occasional dirt and gravel roads, leaving the longer distance stuff for the FZ. Or when I really need a punch in the pants...the FZ is good for that too.
You know how people complain about the low clearance of the MT09's sump? Not a problem on an SM! I had a drz400sm, then upgraded to a ktm640sm. It was like the DRZ on roids.
Up and down gutters, over median strips, speed humps, footpaths - nothing was a problem. And it was so tall and thin, lane splitting was a breeze. The MT is like a supermoto, but until you've ridden a real one...
On city streets, or any tight, twisty and bumpy road, they are brilliant.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can't freaking wait to ride this thing on the street. Plate should be here Monday...might be riding to work in the rain on Scorpion MX knobbies Tuesday lol.

Have you ordered your wheels? If you don't mind me asking, what are they going to cost you?
Tires/tubes/wheels ran about $1300. Always had good luck with Warp9 19" rears for both my YZs so I chose Warp9 again for the SM wheels and I actually went with Avon Distanzias instead of the Pirelli Scorpion Trails. Should be here next week.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Last two bikes were supermotos, not converted mx bikes, both Husaberg factory SMs. Lots of fun, but personaly not nearly as fun without 1 or 2 more buddies also riding SMs to be a hooligan with. Got sick of the crappy traction off-road, If I were to plate a dirt bike, I'd keep some DOT knobbies on it. But who cares what I would do, have fun with the build. ):

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
The DR650 is no SM, but it frees me up to hit the dirt roads (which I have to pass! BECAUSE...I'm completely anul about getting dirt on the FZ.)
While on the pavement...I appreciate the way the DR handles the corners, etc.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ive always worried about not having a cush drive on the rear.
That's a hot topic. I'm not worried about it. From Motostrano over on SMJ - "...it's a constant question we get exclusively from KTM owners and no one else, because KTM feature a cush drive stock, so the rumor or myth or assumption is that KTM's unlike just about any other supermoto need a cush drive. yet, in my 7 years of selling non cush drive supermoto wheels to street and race riders from Talon, Marchesini and others, I've never once heard of a tranny issue from not having a cush drive. KTMs aren't sportbikes and if a cush drive were needed only for supermoto then why are they on motocross bikes? my conclusion is that a cush drive isn't necessary."

Final results...photos?
I'll post them up once the parts show up and I get it all back together.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Proper chain maintenance and slack should all but alleviate that problem. Seems like a lot of the guys with heavy experience in supermoto say cush drive is not necessary. Either way, it won't be any worse than riding at the dunes...talk about fast chain/sprocket wear.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The wheel comes with a 320mm rotor and it's due for pads so I'm going with EBC MX-S race pads.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts