Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Sanded, etch and primer filled drying off and ready for sanding again. The handle bars were an old set of TAG branded bars I had spare. Started with regular oven cleaner to remove the black anodizing that was on it then dry sanded down with 400. Moved to wet sanding is steps of 400-800-1500-2000 and finally a damp scotchbrite pad. Finished off with a very light polish compound as I didn't want to go full mirror finish. Pretty pleased with how they've turned out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Good spotting, they are the latest in workshop safety technology they say...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Few more updates! Mostly painting and some assembly going on. Sprayed the brackets in gloss black, got the radiator and oil cooler bolted back up, bars drilled for switch blocks, brake lines etc. Unfortunately the so called colour match paint is not very much colour match at all. Still, I don't mind the colour and I'll see how it looks once a spray on the clear coat. Not much left to do now.

Reactions: kiwiinoz

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
How'd she start up? I know mine really prefers a fully charged and strong cranking battery!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Couldn't resist mounting up the headlight shroud and taken a few 'teaser' shots... Panels back off and wet sanding the clear coat to cut the orange peel out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
What sort of mirrors are you thinkn TT?
At the moment I've got bar ends on that u had hanging around the garage. Im leaning more towards traditional position mirrors.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The orange peel on the gloss coat was absolutely dreadful so after some colour sanding and buffing I got great results.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Bike is pretty much done now, a few minor tweaks and she will be 100%

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I like what you've done, but if it was mine I would add some type of radiator shrouds.
That's not a bad idea, were you thinking some sort of fairing or like a metal plate that covers the aide tank similar to the aftermarket shrouds that are around for our mt09's?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I wasn't super happy with how the headlight shroud sat and those little vents were kind of bugging me.. So I cut them out, scuffed up the shroud again and had a go at some different paint to try get a better colour match. Results are good but the colour match still isn't perfect. It'll do for now.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts