Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Street fighter build..

Well, I've kind of had the bug for a while but have found it hard to fully commit. Here's my bike in fairly stock form, usual goodies, full exhaust, power commander, rear wilbers shock and valved and spring fork.

Love the bike but wanted some more comfort.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ended up getting a top clamp made up and fitted some handle bars first up. I managed to re route most if the cables and lines only adding longer brake lines.

Quality bit of kit. I then set about fitting everything up... Rode it around for a while like this but felt like i wanted a little extra. More to come as I get stuck into it!

Reactions: Frisco

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got some time this morning to get the front fairing and tank off. Re-routed some of the switch block and headlight wiring to get it nice and tidy. I then went about cutting up some old fairings and shaping a belly pan.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some better pics of the belly pan. Still a little more shaping but I think its looking good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can buy this top yoke as kit (there are 5-6 brand doing that)
s-l300.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So a bit more time spent on the bike. Starting to get a better idea of how its going to look... Started out by test fitting the headlight a shroud from my drz400 and I've settled on it. For a few reasons but mainly I think it looks pretty cool, it covers the speedo, the headlight is proper powerful and it cost me nothing!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I then went about making the speedo and headlight mounts. Still not finished as I want to power up the headlight to get the correct headlight angle and then I'll finish cutting it to suit. I think my 2mm alloy is a bit thin also so I've got some 4mm coming. I'll use these as a template.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Getting a better idea of the whole bike now. I didn't want to for a traditional fighter mask I'm looking more at making it look like as if it came from the factory so a little understated.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went past my local parts shop to get some paint supplies. They also mixed two cans of Pearl Deep Blue #2 for the belly pan and shroud which is the same color as the tank. Getting things sanded and prepped at this stage.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are u a fitter TT?
Nah im not mate, i did a car mechanic apprenticeship after leaving school but got out after 6 years. Now i am a delivery driver and enjoy my own time on the road. What makes you ask mate?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Your work/craft/skill set. It’s pretty impressive mate.
I’m a fitter/turner & machinest and appreciate what you are doing/capable off.

Once I landed here in oz I got out of my trade as the wages were shite. Now I work driving a 6m tray truck for a recycled build yard. Something different most days.

I just picked up a vfr 400 that’s been sitting for 8 years. It’s a mess. Only runs on 2 or 3 so if I can’t get the carbs sorted it’s going in the bin. It belongs to a mate I used to race against. It may be to much for me as I’m very very fussy with my bikes and it’s a runner but I don’t have the cash for new fairings and paint etc.
it Was a very fast bike in its day.

Anyway I like your work...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your work/craft/skill set. It’s pretty impressive mate.
I’m a fitter/turner & machinest and appreciate what you are doing/capable off.

Once I landed here in oz I got out of my trade as the wages were shite. Now I work driving a 6m tray truck for a recycled build yard. Something different most days.

I just picked up a vfr 400 that’s been sitting for 8 years. It’s a mess. Only runs on 2 or 3 so if I can’t get the carbs sorted it’s going in the bin. It belongs to a mate I used to race against. It may be to much for me as I’m very very fussy with my bikes and it’s a runner but I don’t have the cash for new fairings and paint etc.
it Was a very fast bike in its day.

Anyway I like your work...
Thanks mate, just keen on trying things and having a go doing some research along the way and saving a few bucks.

Yeah, i got out of the trade as i just got sick to death of working on Camry's.. Timing belts, head gaskets up to my shoulders in grease. It did help me out along the way in restoring a 1973 XA Falcon 4 door which was fun and it was a beast of a car!

I was wondering just the other day if young guys still start fitter and turner apprenticeships? I acquired a lathe along the way, make some bits and bobs as i need them.

Yes!! VFR400!! Well, its a good sign that it runs at least.. Stick with it even if you can afford to put it to the side and keep an eye out for cheap fairings and other second hand parts etc. My RVF is very very fussy with the carbs. Its at the point now when ever i use the bike the carbs come off and get stripped and cleaned up. Always the pilot jets get clogged up. Does your VFR have an open carb setup with the HRC style air tray or just the stock airbox setup? post up some pics in here mate, i would love to see it!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mate being a fitter taught me about accuracy, eye for detail, attention to detail etc etc.
Has helped me over the years with sooooo much stuff, house, work, bikes, trailers fmd the list is endless.

Toolmakers do the same training in NZ. Prolly more use for them with making dies for plastic injection machines.
Every thing is made in China now. Manufacturing as we knew it is dead.

The 400 is no air box, no stacks just the fibre glass tray under neath. Had the same set up on my old bike.
It needs so much. Been sitting in a tin shed with a dirt floor. The rear race is nearly rusted out.

Shame about your RVF400 carbs blocking, Means I won’t be offering you the full amount now ��
I didn’t enjoy pullling those carbs off and on at all. Yuck..

I can send you some pics if you are on messenger?
Not sure how to stick picks up here. (I’m old)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reactions: kiwiinoz

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Little bit more done on my end here. Made up a much nicer and thicker dash bracket and some more prep/paint. Also simplified the front part of the wiring loom and wired up the headlight plug.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts