Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering the purchase of this bike: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 w/ 3300 miles for $3500. Mint condition!
Use: second bike
Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Considering the purchase of this bike: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 w/ 3300 miles for $3500. Mint condition!
Use: second bike
Thoughts?
FZ6 is a great all-rounder. $3,500 for an 06' is a bit steep in the Northeast (I would expect $3K at the upper limit). I would strongly recommend the 07'-09' model if you were seriously considering one; better brakes, more refined fueling, better instrument cluster, etc...

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah...the "avg retail" lists at $3800. The seller's asking $3900, but willing to take $3500 (which seems fair, given the condition). One owner too.
Thanks for the input skooter65.

·
Registered
659 Posts
No problem at all! I figured I would give a bit of insight as I have bought and sold 5 of these in the past 8-10 months. Craigslist is habitually overpriced as people are expecting to be "talked down" a considerable amount.

Here's a few for comparison:

2004 FZ6: 28,000 Miles w/ near new Tires, Chain, & Sprockets: Sold for $3,000

2007 FZ6: 5,800 Miles, Tires and Drive components <800 Miles: Sold for $3,575 (yesterday in-fact)

2008 FZ6: 6,017 Miles, Brand New Tires, Chain, & Sprockets: Sold for $3,800

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote: "Here's a few for comparison:"
Very nice!
I offered him $3000, but he won't go lower than $3500. Any tips? ;)

·
Registered
957 Posts
The FZ6 is a decent enough bike. However, it's very peaky like full on supersports are. It's nothing like the 09. You have to rev the hell out of it to get it to make decent power. That may be fun if it's your bag, but to me it's just one more thing to think about while riding. In any case, I would take a Kawi 650R or Suzuki SV650 before I took an FZ6.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote: "Kawi 650R or Suzuki SV650 before I took an FZ6."
Appreciate the comments, weaponzero. Agreed, the Kawi 650R is easy enough to have fun on... just bought one last week. ;)
Was looking for a third bike that's affordable. I have three sons... two now have Ninja 650Rs...just need wheels for the 3rd son.
All of these guys are young riders. Sounds like the FZ6 might fit the bill. Thanks again.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Quote: "Kawi 650R or Suzuki SV650 before I took an FZ6."
Appreciate the comments, weaponzero. Agreed, the Kawi 650R is easy enough to have fun on... just bought one last week. ;)
Was looking for a third bike that's affordable. I have three sons... two now have Ninja 650Rs...just need wheels for the 3rd son.
All of these guys are young riders. Sounds like the FZ6 might fit the bill. Thanks again.
Bear in mind the FZ6 is a lot more powerful as its engine hasn't been detuned much from the R6 (major difference from FZ6R). If it's their first bike, FZ6 is not a good choice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My first bike after a 20 year lay off was an FZ6 and I thought it was the perfect first (sort of) bike. Mine was an 05 and I definitely didn't think it had too much power. I've considered getting one as a second bike for longer commutes, especially any long interstate runs. IMO, the FZ6 is nowhere near as much fun as the 09 but the 09 is definitely not built for crossing state lines. I think $3500 on the 06 is maybe a little high but not unreasonable given the low miles.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My first bike after a 20 year lay off was an FZ6 and I thought it was the perfect first (sort of) bike. Mine was an 05 and I definitely didn't think it had too much power. I've considered getting one as a second bike for longer commutes, especially any long interstate runs. IMO, the FZ6 is nowhere near as much fun as the 09 but the 09 is definitely not built for crossing state lines. I think $3500 on the 06 is maybe a little high but not unreasonable given the low miles.
Thanks...yeah, I'm pretty confident that if the Ninja 650R with an Arrow pipe isn't too much, than neither will the FZ6 be such for these guys.
Appreciate the input here and the concerns.

·
Registered
187 Posts
had a fz6 awhile back. absolutely loved it. you can ride the hell outta that bike. get it tuned on the dyno and it's a perfect bike that i honestly, probably woulda kept if i had known then what i know now

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds good, Jared. The more I read about the FZ6 (and what you guys have shared here) the more confident that it's worth further consideration.
Will be looking at the bike on Thursday evening.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Not to knock the 09 but the fz6 doesnt need suspension or anything out of the box. Unless you want fz1 bars. You may need to perform a TB sync if you decide to get it.

I had a PCIII, Two bros exhaust, K&N, and air box mod. Thing ran like a raped ape. You could probably get 105 hp to wheel with the right setup.

:D someone did supercharge one I believe as well. :D

edit: posted the right link!

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...fz6-n-supercharged-nitrous-streetfighter.html

TL;DR--
in my top drawer haha. running 200whp without gas. dont really need it. its fast enough does 0-62 1.9 secs on the rollers. going for a tuneup soon so will post new figures.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not to knock the 09 but the fz6 doesnt need suspension or anything out of the box. Unless you want fz1 bars. You may need to perform a TB sync if you decide to get it.

I had a PCIII, Two bros exhaust, K&N, and air box mod. Thing ran like a raped ape. You could probably get 105 hp to wheel with the right setup.

:D someone did supercharge one I believe as well. :D

edit: posted the right link!

My UK Fz6 N Supercharged/nitrous Streetfighter. - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

TL;DR--
Yikes! Didn't imagine this bike had that kind of potential. Very nice. Will likely keep it pretty stock, but I appreciate the possibilities. ;)
Interesting...this bike (FZ6) didn't strike me as such a monster.

Reactions: FZ9Bandit

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yikes! Didn't imagine this bike had that kind of potential. Very nice. Will likely keep it pretty stock, but I appreciate the possibilities. ;)
Interesting...this bike (FZ6) didn't strike me as such a monster.
I don't know about the earlier models cause I had an 08, but always had people knock it until they seen it. Some people have slapped some r6 cams in theirs as well :D

if you have any other questions, I'm a member on that 600 site (formally fz6forum.com until yamaha got their panties in a bunch)

A lot of great people with a lot of knowledge (ask Marthy)

·
Registered
187 Posts
lol well, a little clarification is needed here. with proper tuning you'll get 85-95hp out of it depending on your exhaust and 35-40ft lbs. it's no R6 and it'll never be an R6 but it is almost as good. it's not a track bike it's a street bike. and it'll still go 145mph and still wheelie and still go way faster than cars, is nimble, lightweight, super comfortable for commuting and long day/week trips and get 45-55mpg

the suspension, is absolute dogshit, like all FZ series suspension, it's cheap aka crap. yes, you can ride it fast, because it's a modern motorcycle but seriously, the suspension is shit. its got almost no adjust-ability and is sprung super light. it can handle random canyons ok, but you'll be burying the forks or squatting out the rear on every corner if you ride aggressively. there's a reason my fz6 had built suspension and a reason my fz1 has built R1 suspension, no matter how much money you throw at them, until you swap out for a better base to work from, it's always gonna suck and be worse than it could be. if i spent a grand on my fz1 forks, they wouldn't have been as good as the stock R1 forks i put in them, because you're starting sooo much lower on the performance pole.

it's not a monster. but it is, a ****ing solid midrange bike for beginner to intermediate level to have a sweet I4 thats not too powerful, is super comfortable and it makes for a fantastic street bike but i wouldnt take it to the track. all in all, i wish i still had mine

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
They're going to have to pry my FZ6 out of my cold dead hands.

70k miles and still running strong. Valves are all still within spec and have never needed adjustment... and I have not exactly been easy on that bike either.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts