Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for some advice. My friend is looking to get his first bike. I've been pushing him towards a Ninja 650r because I know they are good bikes. He has lots of experience in dirt so I feel he's more than capable of handling either. He wants a naked/street fighter type bike. He found a nice 2001 Ducati Monster shown in the link below. If he could get it under 3k is that a better buy than a 650r? I don't know much about the Duc so was hoping to get some input between the two.

https://altoona.craigslist.org/mcy/4663555782.html

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
For the link to work you need a space before it.

On average the Ducati will need more maintenance, but with his dirt experience and if he is aware of it before buying that could be ok.

I guess part of the decision would be how many miles he will ride a year, but if it's his first street bike then that's an unknown.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would guess he'll put an easy 5k on it his first year. It seems to be down on power compared to the 650r but maybe it makes up for it elsewhere in handling?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Pretty sure that's an air cooled Duc, not a real powerhouse. 30k seems high and like Bob said they have a lot of maintenance intervals in those years. Still there is something to be said for having a different bike than everyone else. I fell in love with a 916 and it's single sided swingarm a long time ago, just couldn't get my brain to open the wallet for it.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I would never recommend a Duck for a first time bike owner. Way too much maintenance...high cost of parts.....requires special tools just to adjust the chain. Buy the Jap bike. ANY Jap bike.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The first post says the buyer has dirt experience, I took that to mean owning and working on dirt bikes too. Or has he just ridden other peoples dirt bikes? Hard to imagine that adding up to "lots of experience" lol.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No he has a decent amount of experience working on bikes. He knows his way around an engine. But he won't want to wrenching more than he's riding it. Are they that bad maintenance wise? The guy came down to 2500 so I feel that's a pretty decent deal. Ide prefer he get a Ninja too. But he wants something different and that's pretty cheap. He'll likely only keep the bike for one season then upgrade to something quicker. How's the suspension on them?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
No he has a decent amount of experience working on bikes. He knows his way around an engine. But he won't want to wrenching more than he's riding it. Are they that bad maintenance wise? The guy came down to 2500 so I feel that's a pretty decent deal. Ide prefer he get a Ninja too. But he wants something different and that's pretty cheap. He'll likely only keep the bike for one season then upgrade to something quicker. How's the suspension on them?
"Something different....."

I'm the same in that Something (good) Different is usually something new & exciting like the FZ09. But something that's Low Cost is Never "Something Different." This Duk for $2500 has got be a problem waiting to happen, unless the buyer happens to be extremely lucky.......

I've shopped Ducati both new & used and the bottom line with every bike I become interested in is the High Ongoing Maintenance costs. Everything costs double (at least double) what it would be if Japanese. Ducati's look great but while visiting Itality last year the vast majority of Bikes I saw were Jap Bikes. I asked why and was told the Jap bikes are So Much More reliable and cheaper to buy......They know more than just pasta. :cool:

Reactions: cza888 and Th3 VVay

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate the feedback guys. I told him to ask when the valves were adjusted last and the guy said it's due for an adjustment. I leave it in his hands to decide if he wants it or not but anyone know how hard that is to do on these desmo valves? I'll try to talk him out of it but ultimately it's his choice.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I appreciate the feedback guys. I told him to ask when the valves were adjusted last and the guy said it's due for an adjustment. I leave it in his hands to decide if he wants it or not but anyone know how hard that is to do on these desmo valves? I'll try to talk him out of it but ultimately it's his choice.
Have him call the local Ducati Stealership for an estimate on this Service his New bike would need.....The answer should kill any deal you're concerned about, lol.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I wouldn't touch a 14 year old Ducati....especially not for 3K with 30,000 miles on it........The Ninja would be my choice

I told him to ask when the valves were adjusted last and the guy said it's due for an adjustment.
Yet the add says its completely restored...yeah, run away from that bike....nothing good will come from that purchase

Reactions: Steve101 and beck

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Yeah he passed. Got ahold of a buddy from college who's gonna part with his 05 ninja for under 3k. It's been sitting a few years but only has 2000 miles on it .
His college buddy unwittingly saved him $thousands, easy. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts