Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I left the house and rode to New Hope PA to meet up with some buddies for lunch at Dilly's. then we headed down some back roads in NJ to the Pine Barons and down Mt. Misery road. It was at that point that my buddies on their adventure bikes told me to lead since I had street tires.
We only did about 2 miles of sand roads since my tires were not too happy.
The bike did great though and I cant wait to get her in full adventure gear.

Reactions: motorock

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I thought about putting some TKC80 tires on, somebody else already has, but I use the bike for commuting too much to justify the loss in mileage. SO my solution is to pay off the 09 and get myself the grand daddy touring adventure bike the 1200GS. But i think the 09 with a new exhaust and some crash bars and a bash plate on the bottom and a rise to the suspension would be really good off road.

Reactions: motorock

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
So I left the house and rode to New Hope PA to meet up with some buddies for lunch at Dilly's. then we headed down some back roads in NJ to the Pine Barons and down Mt. Misery road. It was at that point that my buddies on their adventure bikes told me to lead since I had street tires.
We only did about 2 miles of sand roads since my tires were not too happy.
The bike did great though and I cant wait to get her in full adventure gear.
What adv gear are you planning?

I thought about putting some TKC80 tires on, somebody else already has, but I use the bike for commuting too much to justify the loss in mileage. SO my solution is to pay off the 09 and get myself the grand daddy touring adventure bike the 1200GS. But i think the 09 with a new exhaust and some crash bars and a bash plate on the bottom and a rise to the suspension would be really good off road.
Yup, I had the same idea and reservations- I may get the trail attacks as a compromise and a bash plate and raise the suspension. As for the GS, I think I would get the KTM Adventure with the unbeatable dirt ABS- for the loose stuff, I think a KTM is unbeatable, even if the GS seems to supply more creature comforts. However, in a city I would feel plain silly on them!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Planning on a MadStad windshield to start with and a comfy all day seat. next will be bags for the rear when SW Motec get the mounting hardware finished (which I assume they are working on) and then pivot pegs that I can stand on comfortably and a skid plate. Tires of course but I will see if I can fit up some laced rims first. That ought to do it for my wish list.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yup, I had the same idea and reservations- I may get the trail attacks as a compromise and a bash plate and raise the suspension. As for the GS, I think I would get the KTM Adventure with the unbeatable dirt ABS- for the loose stuff, I think a KTM is unbeatable, even if the GS seems to supply more creature comforts. However, in a city I would feel plain silly on them!
The reviews on the KTM are pretty incredible, and i am still considering it. But i rode the GS and for most of the riding i will be doing(road) it will be more ideal. It is incredibly quiet on the interstate, and the different suspension(the front suspension is rather unique), engine, tc, and abs modes are pretty amazing too. I was on the highway with my face shield up and i didn't notice till i came to a stop and tried to lift it again. It has a better setup for a passenger(it has a suspension setting for that.) It's also easier to find a BMW service shop than it is to find KTMs in the US. Lastly and very importantly i had a much better vibe from the guys at the dealership, the resale value of the beemers is almost as good as Harleys(which i will never understand) plus if i went for a brand new bike the financing plans they have are amazing...pretty much lease pricing with the benefits of a loan.

Having said all that the performance of the KTM's is incredible too. I am sure both bikes would be great. They both have very high maintenance costs, but IMHO the BMW's seem more reliable and i love the german style of engineering(i drive VW's.)

All a toss up and a long way down the road. The 09 needs to be paid off and so does my car before i commit to another vehicle payment. Who knows maybe a lottery win is in my future.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Planning on a MadStad windshield to start with and a comfy all day seat. next will be bags for the rear when SW Motec get the mounting hardware finished (which I assume they are working on) and then pivot pegs that I can stand on comfortably and a skid plate. Tires of course but I will see if I can fit up some laced rims first. That ought to do it for my wish list.
I am really interested to see a kitted out 09 for adventure riding, i think it would be excellent for it with the right mods.

·
Registered
730 Posts
She needs at LEAST 2 more about inches, preferably 4, for the kind of ADV riding I do. But the dez is different....

·
Registered
730 Posts
She needs at LEAST 2 more inches, preferably 4, for the kind of ADV riding I do. But the dez is different....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have a plated woods bike, CRF230f (95% off road), and a Street/Woods bike, DR650 (50/50).

All I need is about 10% off road capability in the FZ so ground clearance is not that important. touching the ground is more important to me as I am in the vertically challenged group.

My buddies Versys is sweet but I can't touch the ground on it with the over sized wheel package.

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
123 Posts
This bike with a good set of custom bash bars, and a full skid plate from the header to the exhaust can would be a good start.

Then consider fuel issue. (Small tank.)

If Yamaha builds/sells the 09 based ADV bike, it will sell very, very well in the USA. (Especially if they price it at 10k, and PUT A SET OF REAL FORKS AND SHOCK ON IT.) Hint-hint Yamaha...

I have owned KTM's for years, and love them, but hate the price. Was nearly signed/sealed and done on a 990SM when I took my 2006 FZ1 for a spin.. That was the end of my KTM days. The power of the FZ1 was intoxicating. (And I loved that I could flat foot it at the stop light.)

So, the FZ09 is even better, lighter, narrow, and with all the power you'd ever need. I don't ride hard core trails anyway, so fire roads are all I'm going to ride anymore, if that even. (I found myself riding an ADV bike 90% or more on the road...) Do I like the upright seat/view/comfort? Absolutely.

So, the FZ09 is going to be ADV tuned by me, better suspension, heated grips, windscreen, bash bars/skid plate and some hand guards to finish up/off the look and function.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
This would fit the skid plate/crash bar/slider requirement. It looks like it may not work with the stock exhaust udder as that would eat up ground clearance. Auxilliary lights could be mounted on it also. A couple of 1.5 liter fuel bottles would help with fuel capacity and could be carried low on the bike for handling. Not an ideal solution for extra fuel but a cheap one.

Yamaha FZ 09 Motor Cage and Skidplate Combo | eBay

Reactions: BugSpatteredJacket
1 - 11 of 11 Posts