Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey FZ09 riders!

To preface my write-up: I am in no way being compensated or affiliated with Nels or 2 Wheel Dyno Works. This is all based on my personal experience and opinion.

2 Wheel DynoWorks | Pacific Northwest Premier Mobile Motorcycle Dyno Tuner

My chart is slightly edited, I pushed out the DynoJet logo due to the scanner fading it out and I could fit the air/fuel ratio at the bottom of the page.

The FZ09 has the stock exhaust and a few aesthetic mods, nothing affecting performance.

Max Power: 102hp
Max Torque: 58.88 ft/lbs
Air/Fuel Mix: 12.5

First and foremost, Nels' and his crew provided some absolutely stellar service. I had a tricky schedule to work with due to some plans we already set for the weekend and the dyno was only in town for 2.5 days. He managed to stick around a bit late on that Friday night and get my bike running around 530pm.

Communication is very open, honest and to the point. I trusted Nels to handle my bike and to put solid work into this flash. If anything, the guys at 2wheeldynoworks deserve your business for their customer service alone.

Now for the important part, my tune! Nels ran a few flashes while my wife and I poked around Empire Cycle. After a few minutes he came out and was telling me that the bike seems to be running very rich, it was perplexing! I may have forgot to provide him with an important detail: my bike has never been filled with ethanol mixed fuel since I bought it. No-ethanol 91 only, thanks!

Given that new information, Nels went back to work. We leaned the bike up some more and completed the deal with the above posted flash.

Obviously, the chart explains itself. The powerband has been smoothed out and there's an impressive increase in power from stock. The real selling point are the other tweaks made to the ECU.

1. Engine braking - the injector cut was reduced/eliminated to get rid of that massive forward throw upon deceleration. That was probably my #1 complaint especially when riding in stop and go traffic! Rolling off the throttle is much smoother now and feels more natural than previously.

2. Throttle tip-in - even riding in A mode, the initial tip-in doesn't snatch so hard where you feel like the bike wants to buck you off. Torque delivery is still there so you can stop lift that front wheel quickly! Again, stop and go traffic and firing off the line feels much smoother and responsive.

3. Linearization - the full power-band delivers HP and torque smoothly and predictably throughout all gears and all speeds. Opening to 75% throttle in first and second provides great feedback to give controlled launches and power wheelies. Third gear acceleration from an on-ramp is predictable and smoothly rides up to red-line and triple digit speeds. I mean, the speed limit.

4. Did I say smooth? Everything is smooth. The bike feels much more refined without taking away from the hooligan mentality that FZ09 so willingly provides.

5. Efficiency - I'm on my 2nd full tank after getting a tune (probably 150-170 miles total ridden now) and my fuel efficiency is improving. I saw a rapid decline in my MPG due to my more aggressive riding lately now that the weather is warming but it has settled to a comfortable 36MPG. I'll keep a close eye on this and provided the air/fuel ratio has been leaned greatly, we should easily see a jump in fuel mileage / range. Cruising at 70mph in 6th gear shows a read out of 52MPG on my display. My current average MPG displayed is 40MPG.

All in all, I'm extremely satisfied with the work done by the team and I'm glad I decided to go forward with this tune. At first, I was on the fence about spending the cash to run a tune, bike customization is a new world to me and I'm learning some things are really worth the money!

UPDATE! (From May 2015)

Added the IXIL Hyperlow Black pipe and got a fresh tune from Nels:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully this thread doesn't disappear like the other one related to 2WDW. I am currently trying to schedule a time to get in there.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully this thread doesn't disappear like the other one related to 2WDW. I am currently trying to schedule a time to get in there.
Thanks! I know they've been super busy and I wanted to give them the well-deserved thanks for their work.

Give them a call, I'm sure they'll find a slot for you!

·
Registered
833 Posts
So, if you use ethanol-free, the FZ-09 will run rich? I also use non ethanol premium in my bikes. Just thinking out loud, but does this mean if you run a M4 and use Ethanol free you won't go into a ultra lean condition? Experts please chime in...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thank you so much for your feedback and review, it's great hearing guys get their bikes dialed in so well by Nels!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, if you use ethanol-free, the FZ-09 will run rich? I also use non ethanol premium in my bikes. Just thinking out loud, but does this mean if you run a M4 and use Ethanol free you won't go into a ultra lean condition? Experts please chime in...
The way we discussed it is that Yamaha expects riders to use 91 (or greater) regular pump gas. That would normally be what...10%? The bike is prepped to run on that and considering I was running pure gas the stock tune wasn't really ready to handle the extra amount of actual gas going through it's veins.

Does that make sense? I feel like I'm confusing myself with that statement.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm sure the custom tune is the best way to go. Hopefully they can take this into consideration for others..multiple maps? Just in a general sense, adding a can to a bike it usually induces a "more" lean situation due to to the free flow. So again, just wondering, if it would be less lean by using the E-free gas.

·
Registered
187 Posts
the difference being, the fueling isn't optimized for efficiency, hence the custom tune to get proper detonation at the right times, not just taking two systems that are out of whack and making them average out. just cuz it may reduce the lean condition, doesn't mean efficient aka tuned. that make sense?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nels does great dyno tuning - there is a reason why Stoltec custom maps exclusively use his data.

Did he use the Flash Tune throttle mapping or the Stoltec?
Great question!

He's been extremely busy lately so he hasn't been able to send me over all the details on the tune. I wanted to do a fully detailed write-up but decided it was time to post something!

At least I had my print-outs. :D

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
I actually just spoke to Nels...he's loading the throttle maps onto a customer's bike as we type. So, the answer is/was 'not Stoltec'.

Unfortunately, we can no longer find non-ethanol fuel easily any longer. It used to be easy...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I actually just spoke to Nels...he's loading the throttle maps onto a customer's bike as we type. So, the answer is/was 'not Stoltec'.

Unfortunately, we can no longer find non-ethanol fuel easily any longer. It used to be easy...
So is he able to use the Stoltec map? Any reason he didn't?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Is the Nels/Stoltec fuel map for the stock exhaust for non-ethanol gas or ethanol blend? I'm not a fan of ethanol but it's what I use so that's the map I want.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Nick,

There is a significant difference between this runs number and those listed on you site for the stock exhaust. Thoughts?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've got an appointment with Nels next Friday (still need to confirm that). I have the stock exhaust and will post up whatever dyno charts I may be able to get my hands on. My main motivator is just to smooth out the throttle. I don't even try to find non-blended fuel anymore.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts