Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about adding a tooth to the front sprocket to try to eek out a few more mpg's on my work commute. I've never done a sprocket swap, but any opinions/experience one way or the other? Will I notice the loss of performance... or any gain in fuel economy?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I made a similar change to my Hawk GT and did not notice much difference in performance (and it had a lot less performance than the FZ=09). And it did make a noticeable improvement in MPG, although my primary purpose was to reduce the RPM at speed as it only had a 5 speed.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand the RPM complaint. My FZ6R was super buzzy on the hwy. I decided I'd either mess with sprockets or get an 09... So I sold it haha. Glad to hear that though. Exactly what I'm hoping an extra tooth will do for me.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I understand the RPM complaint. My FZ6R was super buzzy on the hwy. I decided I'd either mess with sprockets or get an 09... So I sold it haha. Glad to hear that though. Exactly what I'm hoping an extra tooth will do for me.
So you finally found the 7th gear! LOL I still have my 6R and I know what you mean... 7K RPM cruising around on the freeway gets old. I went -1T up front and haven't notice any major change with MPG.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering if you'd pipe up Marthy. I know I've seen some comments around by you on the vibs of your 6R. Was there a noticeable performance change with one less tooth?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I changed the rear sprocket myself. At first I bought a 41 and liked it a lot for casual highway cruising. That gears it around 9-10% higher, and fuel range did seem around 10% better as well, possibly even more with the wind behind you, and somewhat less when fighting a strong headwind, I think. I never recorded any numbers though so its mostly just a feeling of starting to look for gas at around 275 km instead of 240-250.

It definitely lost a lot of zip thats for sure. but dropping 2 gears on the highway still gives lots of passing power and you could drop 3 if you really needed to get up and go.

Now I'm using a 43 rear and somehow it feels like it is closer to stock than it is to the 41, when it should be in the middle, I don't really get it but it feels damn near as zippy as stock and seems to be running out of gas around 240-250 again. Its possible I forgot just how zippy stock is (I should try that 45 again) but I do miss the 41 enough to either put it back on or try a 42.

A 17T front should be pretty close to a 42 rear, which in my experience could be just about right for what I would like. Of course I'm getting old and mostly like casual highway miles these days. Yeah I don't know why I bought a FZ09 either! oh I think it was because my Boulevard couldn't pass 6 cars at a time like my buddies. the grass is always greener some place.

not terribly scientific evidence but thats my experience.

theres a gearing chart on sheet 2 here

http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/636-17-tooth-counter-sprocket-2.html

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I just went on the Gearing Commander website and asked them to add the FZ-09 to the list of bikes, so you don't have to manually input all the info.

Hopefully they will add the 09 to the list in a week or so.

Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator

Then you can go there and play around with the sprocket sizes and see how it effects the rpm's in each gear.

One good thing is you can quickly check and see if the gear ratio will work or not under the section:

Relative sprocket & chain wear due to drive train changes:
- Same Tooth - Same Link Chart
- Tooth-Links contacts & Link-Teeth contacts Chart

It also has great stuff to check and see what the effect of different tire sizes has. It worked great for my DR650SE when I wanted to see how a different size from stock rear tire would effect my rpm's at highway speeds.

Reactions: KenM647

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the real world review noumenon. Any specific reason you went down in the back vs up in the front? Hopefully gearing commander does pick it up. I'll have to play around with that stuff one of these days. Never heard of the site.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thinking about adding a tooth to the front sprocket to try to eek out a few more mpg's on my work commute. I've never done a sprocket swap, but any opinions/experience one way or the other? Will I notice the loss of performance... or any gain in fuel economy?
Adding a tooth to the front sprocket makes a considerable difference in top speed performance. You will lose a bit on the "take off" but with this bike, I feel this would be just fine....

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Adding a tooth to the front sprocket makes a considerable difference in top speed performance. You will lose a bit on the "take off" but with this bike, I feel this would be just fine....
How much faster do you go? Its already a 160MPH gear...

I can understand the whole better MPG thing but top end speed... I went 1 down because I didn't used 6th gear. Still a 152 MPG top end gear.

·
Registered
25 Posts
dcppf: Someone mentioned the front sprocket guard thing would need to get shaved to fit a 17 in there, plus the 41 rear I bought off a guy on here who was selling it, just to try it out.

the gearing commander is indeed very cool. you can choose the MT-09 there.

Marthy: for me it just felt like it was geared way too low, but that is probably because this is my 1st sport bike, I've had cruiser twins until now. I was in 6th gear at 80kmh, and with the 41 rear then I used 5th at 80 and 6th at 100kmh+ (for the casual commute to work anyway)

wrenchin: yeah it still had plenty of passing power geared 10% higher. I think 5th gear was almost as high as the stock 6, so at highway cruising when dropping 2 gears was kind of like dropping 1 with stock gearing, almost. it would be interesting to race a stock FZ in a 3rd gear roll-on to see how much slower it really is. but 17T wouldn't be geared quite that high anyway.

another bonus is the 17T would probably make your speedo bang on, mine reads around 7-8% fast

·
Registered
584 Posts
dcppf:

another bonus is the 17T would probably make your speedo bang on, mine reads around 7-8% fast
I wondered about the speedo? How do we fix that?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I changed to 15t / 47t and a 190/55/17 tire . Can this device correct my speedometer to know mileage and the speed I'm going?
Yes. It's fully programmable. You can even pull up your top speed & other cool stuff.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am trying to understand this device and it seems to correct onto my speedometer the actual speed. There is many other things going on inside that digital dash that I don't want problems with but this really looks good.
The paragliding school and store I go to is having a sale. I bought a zero this year and a couple of flight suits. Here is the flyer email add they sent to me.Don't hold me responsible for accuracy of ad.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dcppf: Someone mentioned the front sprocket guard thing would need to get shaved to fit a 17 in there, plus the 41 rear I bought off a guy on here who was selling it, just to try it out.

the gearing commander is indeed very cool. you can choose the MT-09 there.

Marthy: for me it just felt like it was geared way too low, but that is probably because this is my 1st sport bike, I've had cruiser twins until now. I was in 6th gear at 80kmh, and with the 41 rear then I used 5th at 80 and 6th at 100kmh+ (for the casual commute to work anyway)

wrenchin: yeah it still had plenty of passing power geared 10% higher. I think 5th gear was almost as high as the stock 6, so at highway cruising when dropping 2 gears was kind of like dropping 1 with stock gearing, almost. it would be interesting to race a stock FZ in a 3rd gear roll-on to see how much slower it really is. but 17T wouldn't be geared quite that high anyway.

Noumenon: this is the first I've heard of having to shave the guard to fit a 17T in, and I can't seem to find that anywhere. Any chance you could try to dig up where you found that so I can talk to the guy?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Noumenon: this is the first I've heard of having to shave the guard to fit a 17T in, and I can't seem to find that anywhere. Any chance you could try to dig up where you found that so I can talk to the guy?
i'm not the guy, but i can confirm that the guard runs very close to the chain with the stock sprocket. a 17 tooth might cause the chain to rub against it. pull off the countershaft sprocket cover and take a look.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i'm not the guy, but i can confirm that the guard runs very close to the chain with the stock sprocket. a 17 tooth might cause the chain to rub against it. pull off the countershaft sprocket cover and take a look.
Arg, well that puts a damper on things. I'm out of state until early next year so I can't run out and take a look myself just yet.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts