Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my first oil change tonight! Can't believe a tiny spin on oil filter costs over $16! Got the Yamalube 10W40 and new crush washer for the drain plug. No problems getting the old filter off but it was quite tight. Had to use a large channnel lock to get it loose. I did however burn a hole in my new plastic oil drain container when it came in contact with the catalytic converter/ scrotum. I put in approximately 2.5 qts of oil so the sight glass level was full. Then started it up and ran it a second. Checked the sight glass again and no oil in sight. Guess that filter holds just enough that the level drops to the bottom of the sight glass. Topped it off with 1/2 quart and I'm good to go. Made sure the engine was well warmed up before changing also. Did a chain adjustment as well. Need to recheck chain tension again tomorrow with the bike on the side stand. Spec is 5-25 Millimeter with bike on the side stand. I adjusted the chain while on a race stand. Can anyone tell me what the slack should be while resting on a race stand with the rear wheel off the ground?

Motor oil Auto part Lubricant Fluid Vehicle Text Document Paper Receipt Font Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Muffler

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
did you buy the filter at your local dealer?

you can get it for under $10 online at partshark.com or onlinecycleparts.com.

there are also good alternatives to the oem filter, e.g. k&n (kn-204) and purolator pure one (pl14612).

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Richbinaz has a good how to about chain slack. Ignore what the manual says. On the side stand or a rear stand...you want no less than 1-3/16", and no more than 2"

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I read through that entire thread on chain slack. Yeah first oil changed I wanted a receipt from Yamaha dealer. I'll check online for cheaper filters. Does FRAM make motorcycle filters? The one for my Toyota car is $4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts