Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apparently the front axle bolt has a 14mm hex head. That's massive and completely unusual.

Found a video online where a guy reversed his 3/8" spark plug socket and used the butt end to remove the bolt. Ridiculous.

Tools needed:
Rear axle bolt - 27mm socket

Front axle bolt - 14mm hex key

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Apparently the front axle bolt has a 14mm hex head. That's massive and completely unusual.

Found a video online where a guy reversed his 3/8" spark plug socket and used the butt end to remove the bolt. Ridiculous.

Tools needed:

A large hex drive of various sizes for hollow front axles is the typical front axle configuration for the last several years on many bikes. On the supersport bikes its been like that for many more years.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The toolkit from my old GSXR included a tool just for that. Glad I hung on to it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Reactions: ridethepiggy

·
Registered
657 Posts
Motion Pro makes front axle tools:

08-0397.jpg

This one doesn't appear to have 14mm but There's got to be one out there.

I just picked up an individual 14mm hex key to toss in the tool box at our Canadian 'Harbor Freight' store.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a socket set at Harbor Freight for about $14 with 8 hex bolt sockets. Had the 14mm that I needed.

New shoes are on but I think I'm dripping oil...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I found a set of large Allen keys at a "surplus" store for under $10, you know, the ones you need to keep oiled or they'll rust!... I've bought quite a few tools there.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Secret from The Ancient Masters.......

You don't need the big Allen wrench.

You just leave the axle pinch bolt tight on that side when you loosen the axle nut.

Reactions: 24v

·
Registered
657 Posts
Secret from The Ancient Masters.......

You don't need the big Allen wrench.

You just leave the axle pinch bolt tight on that side when you loosen the axle nut.
What axle nut :confused:

·
Registered
877 Posts
What axle nut :confused:
Got my bikes mixed up and forgot it had a screw in axle.

In a pinch, if it's late at night, a 10 mm bolt with a 14 mm head, or 3/8 " bolt with 9/16 " head can be used.

·
Registered
730 Posts
27mm head is a 18mm bolt. Get one, and a 5/8 spark plug socket. Drive the socket over the bolt shaft and you have a 27mm allen tool that mounts on a rachet. Every FJ11/12 uses this for the fork caps and damping rods.

Invented by Dr. Ratfart from the FJOwners forum.

ETA: Misread OP... but leaving it to encourage TOTB.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Tools needed:

Are you sure rear axle bolt isn't 24mm?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts