Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys would like to get some advice on a new possible bike purchase. I am looking for a bike my son can start on/ grow into (both dirt and street) and that I can ride at the hunting camp. I found a 1998 DRZ200se on Craigslist with only 1600 miles. My son is 12 and is 5'5" and growing like a weed. Do you guys have any opinions on the bike itself? Do you guys think it would fit my intended uses?
Thanks!

Here is a photo of the bike in the flesh;

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He and I ride mountain bikes a lot. He had a mini bike (pep boys special) handed down to him from his cousin a couple of years ago. It was a piece of junk, but he rode it around the neighborhood without to much trouble. But he hasn't been on anything bigger than that.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You want something big enough for you to ride also. The clutch is sometimes difficult to learn on. I remember doing it from a Mini trail to an SL70. Auto shift to clutch shift. I was real eager and it still took some time. My daughter never could get it going from centrifugal to manual. Plus the new bike was a little too tall and I think a bit intimidating. She didn't have the enthusiasm and could not see the benefit so always rode the easier for her to ride bike. She took to a standard shift car relatively easy. I think it was what she wanted to do, if you know what I mean. If he is dying to get and ride this bike, he will take to it.
My experience is to buy for the boy first, put yourself aside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts