Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone thought of or already throw a 190 rear tire on?

I'm due for a new rear tire and I'm thinking about a little more contact patch.. I'm worried about negative handling effects tho, slower turn in and such.

So I guess I'm asking if anyone has any thoughts on the idea? Haha

·
Registered
555 Posts
I wouldnt think that it would affect it too much, but I could be totally wrong lol. I have been thinking about the tyre sizes lately too as I am also up for rear replacement and will do both at same time.

The torque on this bike is real harsh on rear tyres. And wheelies. :p

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'm running 190's on 6 inch BST and Marvic rims.

Handles fine as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What width is your rear rim? Its a lousy feel if you put a tire on thats too wide for the rim. It makes it "too round" for lack of better words...this from a guy who tried a 180 on an sv 650. It looks cool, but works bad.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'll modify a bike and do things the manufacturer doesn't recommend, but putting on wider than stock tires never appealed to me.

Dolan's 09s are bad ass though, with rims for the bigger tires and all.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool haha sounds exactly like what I was thinking.. I've only ever changed height profiles on my street bikes , on my 954 and my cbr1000 I ran 190/55s for the taller profile, but I've never gone wider. On my drz400sm I tried 140,150, and 160. And it changed the feel each time, 150 ended up my fav (140 is stock) those tires are a bit cheaper tho so I thought id throw it out there to see if anyone had tried it yet on this bike or any other street bikes for that matter

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know off hand the width of the rear rim of the fz? I havnt had the tire off yet

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nevermind lol after a quick Google search I found that it's 5.5.

So according to this site BATTLAX HYPERSPORT S20 | Products | Motorcycle Tires | Bridgestone Corporation the 190/55 is suited for a 5.5-6" rim.. and according to the graph on the link zjumper posted , it wouldn't be a bad idea as long as the rim accomadates it...

Hmmm.. such a descision to make.

I'm going to get the s20 again I loved it and I don't want to missmatch front and rear.

·
Registered
877 Posts
What width is your rear rim? Its a lousy feel if you put a tire on thats too wide for the rim. It makes it "too round" for lack of better words...this from a guy who tried a 180 on an sv 650. It looks cool, but works bad.
I'm running 190's on 6 inch BST and Marvic rims.

FZ rims are 5.5 inch wide.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome!
Thanks fzbolt for being the pioneer I am too chicken to be haha..
Looking forward to your review!

·
Registered
80 Posts
No worries man, I go through 5-6 sets of tires a season, so I like to experiment around. Getting them Saturday, and will post a link to my write up...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I just join this forum a few minutes ago. I got my FZ09 2016 a few days ago, I'm the 2nd owner. It has done about 3400kms already and the tyres are kinda worn out. I'm thinking of slapping on a 190/55 too... I did read the above reviews but still haven't got a idea how to go about it... Any solid suggestions? I need to buy my tyres and get out on that bad boy asap. Pls help.
Josh

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi guys, I just join this forum a few minutes ago. I got my FZ09 2016 a few days ago, I'm the 2nd owner. It has done about 3400kms already and the tyres are kinda worn out. I'm thinking of slapping on a 190/55 too... I did read the above reviews but still haven't got a idea how to go about it... Any solid suggestions? I need to buy my tyres and get out on that bad boy asap. Pls help.
Josh
Hi Josh, my bike actually running 190/55 Pilot Road4 and when the times came to replacement and back to the 180/55,especially this tires has a round profile that magnified when the 190 is on a 5.5 rim,this has prevented to use the sides efficient when turning and slow side to side transition!!
Here is a picture of the sides,190/55 installed and 180/55 the one was running before!
Note: Michelin website says is OK to mount 190/55 PR4 on 5.5 rim
image.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts