2,330 Posts
has anyone considered this or done it?
why would you want to do that?

What is the goal?

You can't get good tires in 19" and the chassis is designed to use a 17" wheel

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Bigfoot looks so dorky IMO. 18/21 or 19/21 for dirt, 17/17 for street and supermoto.

I'm also curious why.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1. Never heard of the bigfoot conversion before, but it is interesting.

2. there is a much better selection of dual-sport tires in 19".

3. I have a skid pan and won't be blasting hard down trails, just mild fire roads, etc.

4. you can adjust the forks in the trees and generally get close to the same rake/trail as stock. I've often raised or lowered forks on my dirt bikes to adjust rake/trail.

5. The narrow mindedness of some responders never ceases to amaze me

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Bigfoot isn't a conversion, it's just putting street tires on a dirt bike with the original 18/19" and 21" dirt wheels. It's a cheap way to get into supermoto.

To answer your original question, I'm almost certain no one has put a 19" front on this bike. I say go for it and tell us all about it (including pics of course).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bigfoot isn't a conversion, it's just putting street tires on a dirt bike with the original 18/19" and 21" dirt wheels. It's a cheap way to get into supermoto.

To answer your original question, I'm almost certain no one has put a 19" front on this bike. I say go for it and tell us all about it (including pics of course).
thanks - I'm still researching and trying to figure out if this is the right way to go. If I can't find a decent 17" for the front I may make this my winter project next winter.

·
Registered
357 Posts
This is gonna start a riot, but I'm gonna say what's on my mind anyways.

I find it funny that everyone gets upset and hates on every thread that talks about making the fz09 offroad capable. The rake is wrong, has no clearance, suspension is wrong, it's a waste of money and time, buy an adventure bike if you want to ride offroad, etc..

The stock fz09 handling is about the same as most new cruisers, not good, but hey it wasn't made to be a canyon carver. Right?
People have no problem throwing a $750-$1000 rear shock on, $500+ fork cartridges, and $300+ sticky tires, $500 rear sets, just to have a bike with no aerodynamics and still not handle as good as 600 or 1000. Yes some of the shop bikes are really fast after a ton of tuning on fancy equipment but still slower. After all that maybe you should have just bought a super sport? You do it because it's different and it's fun and exciting to ride a bike like this fast on the track and street.

I think this bike would be the same way if it was "semi dual sport" and the same time and money went into it. I would love to see more people try this and come up with conversions just like people are doing for street and track. I'm not talking about jumping it 10ft in the air, just more like hypermotard, maybe 70 on road 30 offroad.

I like it both ways and don't think either is a waste of money. Maybe I'm crazy and thinking too far out of the box, but I picked this bike instead of a supermoto and maybe something could be made to get a little bit of both.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
TKC 80 tyres will fit the standard wheels (120/180), and give moderate off road performance to match the moderate off road ground clearance.

Hell, I've ridden down some hard packed dirt/mud trails on PR4s and it was ok, but there isn't much clearance. a skid pan gives protection, not clearance.

Now 19 inch wheels and longer forks/rear shock for more ground clearance, now you're talkin!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I would love to see more people try this and come up with conversions just like people are doing for street and track. I'm not talking about jumping it 10ft in the air, just more like hypermotard, maybe 70 on road 30 offroad.

I like it both ways and don't think either is a waste of money. Maybe I'm crazy and thinking too far out of the box, but I picked this bike instead of a supermoto and maybe something could be made to get a little bit of both.
Personally I find it laughable to think that any hypermotard was built to even touch a gravel road.

The difference between dropping money into X for better performance, and dropping money into Y for better offroad capability, is that one of those two (X) will not destroy the bike. The other option (Y) is not remotely even close to the purpose of the bike and is not really practical.

That is, of course my A-hole opinion.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Dont think anyone did a 19" conversion but maybe you don't need to if it is only some light off-roading you want. The TKC 80s as suggested are pretty good. And some suspension travel adjustments (or swap) could seal the deal. With the necessary protection for the bike's components of course.

The guy who off-roaded his Panigale (raised and lowered suspension) or the guy who is currently touring off/on-road on a Panhead in Afirca did not listen to the naysayers and did not go all drastic with their changes either. This bike sits like a supermoto and is definitely more confidence-inspiring on the loose stuff than say, a supersport. I have taken "street only" nakeds on rough terrain that even people with big ADV bikes wont dare to. Heck, people take hundreds of KTM Duke 200/390s to the unforgiving Himalayan terrain every year. Thankfully they were not paying attention to the glass-half-empty people.

Looking at the Street rally promo video showing Rossi sliding the MT in his ranch & the French review where 5 time Dakar winner Cyril Depres (among others)rode the Street Rally on dirt, you know the FZ is begging to be ridden hard-more on dirt than the track which requires just as many (or more) modifications- as pointed out. And either can destroy the bike (even in stock mode, this can happen)- depends on who is riding it. ;)

I am taking my first real world off-road training on proper dirtbikes next weekend to get better- who knows, I may just go that route too. My current off-roading is potholes and cobbled streets and the occasion stretch of mud/sand/gravel that the city cares to throw on my path.

Good luck on what you decide to do!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts