Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 MT-09 SP
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some assistance in setting up my front end.

The bike is a '19 09SP with the fully adjustable KYB front (preload, rebound, hi and lo speed compression). I also know that it has dual rate fork springs as standard.

What I'm experiencing is that the rear is set perfectly, but the front is all wrong. In a straight line, hitting a bump results in the front end rising over the bump, lifting the frame and transferring the jolt to me. While cornering, hitting a bump upsets the front geomtry and changes where the bike is pointing, until it settles and goes back to where I was aiming.

In addition, hard braking results in basically bottoming out the forks according to me scientific ziptie marker on the fork, and I can do this reliably from pretty slow speeds.

The rear end being Ohlins is perfect, it absorbs all bumps smoothly, rebounds cleanly and generally doesn't give me any trouble.

Does anyone have any experience with these forks and getting them to work properly? What settings are you using?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Set your sag. Sounds like you have too little preload/too much rider sag. Once you have the springs set for your weight, start adjusting your compression and rebound settings. Start with one setting, make a change, take a ride. Repeat as much as needed to get the feeling you are looking for. The ride should be repeated on the same stretch of road for repeatability.

This thread may give you some numbers to work off of. It is a '21, but may help get you close.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Does the SP have high speed comp damping on the forks? If so, this will need fine tuning after you've checked sag. It was an issue on my Andreanis, but that involved a revalve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts