Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I figure I'd share some info on a 17 tooth front sprocket swap. Ordered a 525 conversion gear for a r1 from Sprocket Center. 40 buckes shipped to my door in 3 days. It fit on my stock chain since it's got some mileage on it and it's a bit stretched. I didn't do this "because the bike revs too high"or felt like it needed another gear. My goal was to make 1st gear a little more manageable while launching and to eliminate the need to shift into 5th gear the last 200 feet of the quarter mile drag strip.

So I took it for a ride tonight to see what's what. Normal riding you wouldn't even know it's there. 1st gear doesn't feel any harder to start out from a stop. 1st gear wheelies are still easy but you aren't going to be doing any by accident. The front comes up nice and easy, slow enough to just ease back a bit and then continue hammering away. We'll see how it fairs at the track when it comes to the 60 foot times.

Around town, 40 to 50mph indicated on the cluster, reads 1 to 2 mph slower than the gps. On the highway, at 70 to 80mph its about 5 to 6mph off. When I'm hammering through the gears down my "air strip" I like that they are a bit longer, it just pulls forever. Speaking of which, it stills pulls hard to the 132 mph limiter on the cluster, which turns out to be a hair over 146mph on the gps.(top speed on gps with stock 16t sprocket was 129.1mph). I'll be posting my track results soon. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Speaking of which, it stills pulls hard to the 132 mph limiter on the cluster, which turns out to be a hair over 146mph on the gps.(top speed on gps with stock 16t sprocket was 129.1mph).!
that's certainly one way to defeat the speed limiter!

good job and thanks for the info.

p.s. is your ecu stock or has it been flashed?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Link

Just curious if this is the sprocket you went with? My 09 is getting delivered at the end of the month and I'm thinking I'll want to add a tooth. Tame 1st gear a tad, and increase fuel economy. Hopefully companies start making ones specifically for the 09 here soon!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
What will you do to adjust the speedometer?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's exactly the sprocket I have. The speedo isnt off enough to bother me really. I will be doing something soon in a few days to fix it, mostly in an attempt the rid the speed limiter though. I'll be making a separate thread soon.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Ok, since the speed limiter is thing of the past and doesn't look like I'll ever reach the 160 MPH from the stock gearing, even at the track... I ordered a 15T front sprocket. By the book that should get me 152MPH, fast enough. Not planning to go any faster... just want to get there quicker. LOL

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hey guys so I figure I'd share some info on a 17 tooth front sprocket swap. Ordered a 525 conversion gear for a r1 from Sprocket Center. 40 buckes shipped to my door in 3 days. It fit on my stock chain since it's got some mileage on it and it's a bit stretched. I didn't do this "because the bike revs too high"or felt like it needed another gear. My goal was to make 1st gear a little more manageable while launching and to eliminate the need to shift into 5th gear the last 200 feet of the quarter mile drag strip.

So I took it for a ride tonight to see what's what. Normal riding you wouldn't even know it's there. 1st gear doesn't feel any harder to start out from a stop. 1st gear wheelies are still easy but you aren't going to be doing any by accident. The front comes up nice and easy, slow enough to just ease back a bit and then continue hammering away. We'll see how it fairs at the track when it comes to the 60 foot times.

Around town, 40 to 50mph indicated on the cluster, reads 1 to 2 mph slower than the gps. On the highway, at 70 to 80mph its about 5 to 6mph off. When I'm hammering through the gears down my "air strip" I like that they are a bit longer, it just pulls forever. Speaking of which, it stills pulls hard to the 132 mph limiter on the cluster, which turns out to be a hair over 146mph on the gps.(top speed on gps with stock 16t sprocket was 129.1mph). I'll be posting my track results soon. Thanks guys!
Well it's been 2yrs have you got track results yet!?!

·
Registered
395 Posts
First thing I did after getting my 2015 09 new was go to a 17T front and went two teeth less on the back. Bought a speedo healer and adjusted to a 6% difference in the speedo.
The bike is alot more enjoyable to ride with still more than gobs of power. I live in the Northeast and ride the B roads 95% of the time and I feel the gearing is spot on now.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
First thing I did after getting my 2015 09 new was go to a 17T front and went two teeth less on the back. Bought a speedo healer and adjusted to a 6% difference in the speedo.
The bike is alot more enjoyable to ride with still more than gobs of power. I live in the Northeast and ride the B roads 95% of the time and I feel the gearing is spot on now.
I'm going to give this a try. Currently running 16/43 but also have a 17 I used with the stock 45 rear. How does 1st gear pull with the 17/43 combo? I'm guessing 2/3/4 gears can still be a hoot in A mode.

·
Registered
395 Posts
No problem at all with 1st. Pulls away nicely with no hesitation. BTW: Don't go any lower than 43 on the rear. In 12k miles I'v noticed a very slight wear (1 inch) on the surface of the rubber swing arm guard on the top of the arm. Doesn't get any worse though and nothing to worry about, However one tooth less will make the problem worse. I think you'll really like it. Now I ride in STD mode just about all of the time except A once in a while if I want a little extra. No need to even consider B mode....Me thinks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
No problem at all with 1st. Pulls away nicely with no hesitation. BTW: Don't go any lower than 43 on the rear. In 12k miles I'v noticed a very slight wear (1 inch) on the surface of the rubber swing arm guard on the top of the arm. Doesn't get any worse though and nothing to worry about, However one tooth less will make the problem worse. I think you'll really like it. Now I ride in STD mode just about all of the time except A once in a while if I want a little extra. No need to even consider B mode....Me thinks.
Do you have that thing now?

or you removed it when you fix 17t ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
What kind of speedo healer you use? Could you give me a link?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts