Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody changed to a 17 tooth counter sprocket? Interesting that Yamaha uses a 520 chain on the FZ09.

On the test ride of the FZ09, I found myself in 6th gear at 20 miles an hour. The FZ09 seemed to be geared waaay to low.

I have a Honda 919. It comes with a 16 tooth front sprocket also. I changed to a 17 tooth early on. Because I travel on the freeway mostly, I just changed to a 18 tooth counter sprocket.
I know it doesn't fit, but it does on my bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Has anybody changed to a 17 tooth counter sprocket? Interesting that Yamaha uses a 520 chain on the FZ09.

On the test ride of the FZ09, I found myself in 6th gear at 20 miles an hour. The FZ09 seemed to be geared waaay to low.

I have a Honda 919. It comes with a 16 tooth front sprocket also. I changed to a 17 tooth early on. Because I travel on the freeway mostly, I just changed to a 18 tooth counter sprocket.
6th gear @ 20 MPH.....WTF??? You need to use the RPMs available. Third gear will get you in the 90 MPH range.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I understand where you are coming from, I'm going round 15-20mph corners in 4th and it pulls easily.
Not sure anyone is making one yet, but I bet a 17 or 18T sprocket would help lessen the upshifting around town, so I can actually use the gears.
The problem is you let the revs drop too much that by the time you come to a stop, you are still in 2nd or 3rd

·
Registered
275 Posts
I put a 17t on mine, I do a lot of longer rides. I couldn't find one specifically to fit the bike so I researched through the JT catalog and found one for a Triumph 800/865 twin would fit but needed washers to shim it as the thickness is different. Part # JTF1183 I think. The chain was a hair too short, I filed the axle slots in the swingarm just a bit and got it to work. The bike is so strong it's hard to tell it slowed it down any, but 1st gear is pretty tall now. The mpg seemed to go up a bit too. I like the lower cruise rpm and you can still pass easily without downshifting.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts

What? You can gear a Honda 100 to do 20 in sixth. If you are doing 20, downshift. I have never heard of anyone leaving it in top gear when they slow down that much. This bike has torque, so it won't buck and die. That doesn't mean something is wrong.

One less tooth in the front equals three more teeth in the back. I always went up or down one tooth in the back. One in the front is drastic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Coreytrevor, I understand your desire to gear it a bit higher in 6th gear. I find myself wanting a 7th gear, as 6th is geared to low for droning along. An overdrive 6th gear for the long ride or touring would be the ideal solution. Why did you not do 1 less tooth on the counter sprocket and 1 more on the sprocket to keep the stock chain and no extra fine tuning.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I wish the top three gears had larger gaps between the ratios,then you would have kind of an overdrive top gear. I've gone up a tooth on the front sprocket on a lot of my bikes. This bike can definitely handle it better than most. Dropping a tooth goes the wrong way. As DNFDOUG said, one tooth more in the front equals about three teeth less in the back. I thought that with the smaller rear the chain might dig into the chain slider on the swingarm too much.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I like the gearing in gears 1-5, but I would like to slow the motor down in 6th for better mileage and more relaxed cruising. Not for everyone but would work for me, it's not going to happen so what you have done is a good compromise. I think you said earlier you modify the sh!t out of your motorcycles and you weren't kidding, I like the fuel tank mod.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts

I'm not sure where you came up with....520 chain size, but the FZ09 has a 525 size chain. Hopefully you bought the correct counter-shaft sprocket.

Reactions: River

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Corey.....I was referring to Arrowrod.........thinking it was a 520 chain instead of a 525. I guess I worded it wrong, because I don't think he has bought anything yet. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi All;
Anyone experiencing rear sprocket alignment problems?
Evidently my front sprocket is out too far. Hopefully it has a shim between it and the engine.
If not, will have to grind some off.
Problem is can't get the rear sprocket to run in center chain.
Thanks
Don
Valvestem:tears_of_joy:

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
On my last dirtbike I ran a 13 tooth in the front and a 50 tooth in the rear. It was a 55 hp CRF 450R and man, that thing was wild when you twisted the throttle. 238 lbs of fury. I did it so that I could idle down sheer drop offs covered in rocks.

To each their own, Sprocket wise. I might play with mine a bit this summer. Right now, I'm still just trying not to loop the phuckin bike when ever I take off.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Hi All;
Anyone experiencing rear sprocket alignment problems?
Evidently my front sprocket is out too far. Hopefully it has a shim between it and the engine.
If not, will have to grind some off.
Problem is can't get the rear sprocket to run in center chain.
Thanks
Don
Valvestem:tears_of_joy:
make sure the wheel is straight first. cant tell you how many times i have found the notches on the swingarm are not even on both sides.

i use the string alignment method but there are several others.

Reactions: triplethreat

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
make sure the wheel is straight first. cant tell you how many times i have found the notches on the swingarm are not even on both sides.

i use the string alignment method but there are several others.
I don't use the string alignment method, but what moto said............Make SURE the wheel is straight first. Can't tell you how many times I've sees the notches/marks on a swing arm not be correct. In fact, I don't recall one that WAS correct.

Reactions: CD599

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would like to try a 42T rear sprocket when one is available. It does not look like the FZ-08 rear sprocket will fit the FZ-09. Wider bolt pattern on the 08.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts