Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

17+ 09 Brembo RCS19 & Spiegler Lines install

6K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Kylos 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Looked al over the place and couldn’t seem to find a solid positing about installing Brembo RCS19 MC alongside SPiegler Stainless Steel lines.

So here it is.

We’ll start off with procurement.

Brembo RCS19 - I have one of these on the race bike(13 ZX-6R) and am IN LOVE with the way it feels. I tell everyone that it’s like reaching down and grabbing the rotor with your hand without all of the misfortune from actually doing so.

How I arrived at procuring a Brembo RCS19 actually came from a series of of Unfortunate events:

UE(Unfortunate Event) 1: I was at Jefferson circuit on the race bike along the second longest straight(about .25mi) when I went to grab “initial bite” I couldn’t feel the lever. I went to do a re grab and still no lever. The corner was fast approach and just ended up stabbing the rear brake and kept her upright enough to walk away.

Luckily the corner workers found my lever. What seemed to happen is that the pivot bolt somehow fell out. Promptly ordered not one but two. One OEM one from EBay and another Titanium one from motomillion.

UE2: not really unfortunate but just something I stumbled on as the stars aligned. Super bike Unlimited was having a clearance on there super bike parts. I found a Brembo RCS19 used for $160. However, it’s lever adjust was geared for a remote adjuster. Eager to captalize on this occasion, I tossed in a Zeta remote adjuster in the cart which was also on sale.

Here, took a little of “Brembo Lever Tetris”. I didn’t want to have a remote adjuster on the FZ-09(no point), so I had to figure out a way. What I did was took the light weight lever(that had a screw for the remote adjuster and put that on my ZX-6R

All in all it came out nice and I think it added a nice aesthetic touch to it. Though I would recommend safety wiring the remote adjust screw to the cable housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Now onto the fun part. The FZ-09...

For those of you that don’t know, Brembo as expensive as they are DO NOT include a reservoir cup with the RCS19. (Needed room for stickers in the box I guess).

I didn’t want a pee cup and nothing I could find really fit my aesthetic conscience. Until I ordered a Smoked Brembo Reservior...from Germany on EBay. Don’t ask me how much, just know I spare no expense.

Additionally, bear in mind you’ll have to get a fine threaded banjo bolt for the RCS. Spiegler makes one that’s titanium and safety wire ready. Sold!

Now the fun part. The build.

Started simple by assembling everything I have, the reservior, the banjo bolt, the lines to see how it would look/fit.

First attaching everything to see fitment

So far so good. Next comes the lines...

Tightened up all bolts and I must say, looks even better.

Now to the very unfun part. Welcome to 2019. The land where every bike now has ABS. This is a new monster for me and looking around, it appears I have to remove the hardened steel lines that are just under the air box to put new stainless steel lines. Then there’s the ABS unit itself. My biggest concern is bleeding it and then trying to get the liquid to go through the ABS unit. Time will tell.

Also with bleeding the system. I need to get a bleeder pump of sorts ($22 on Amazon). But I halted this project here.

UE3: the wife has decided and is determined at this point to get a divorce...Uncontested, mutual, and civil. Kinda still numb from the fact but just trying to stay focused. If any of you fine folks have any advice please lmk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Update.

I finally accumulated everything,

Brembo RCS19
Brembo Smoked Reservior
Rhizome Handlebar Mount
Speed bleeders (2x 8125L and 1x 8125LL(right caliper))
Spiegler Banjobolt for BRembo RCS(fine thread)

Unbolted everything from the tank down then started the balled process

I bought a hand pump from amazon to help pull the excess fluid and it pulled it, but right out of the system and all over the handle. Kinda cheesy, but that system was DRY after.

Yea I know, it looks like my rear brake has a serious UTI.

Rear lines definitely out. I HIGHLYRECOMMEND you get a 10mm in-line wrench...and liquid wrench. For whatever reason, those inline bolt are effing TORQUED in there

The attached is showing how the ends for spiegler lines. As you can see, the bent on on the MC line goes to the ABS unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: shamrock
#4 ·
Looks great in my opinion! I've not really gone down the rabbit hole on brakes yet. Still living in that "ignorance is bliss" stage lol. I will say that a 320mm rotor on my supermoto was absolutely phenomenal... and i'm sure the next time i have money burning a hole in my pocket i may be looking at FZ brake upgrades.

That aside, idk how bleeding an ABS system works, but I assume the old trick of zip tying the brake lever over night will still work/help. If you don't know what that is look it up... made a HUGE improvement when I installed my spiegler lines.

lastly, sorry to hear about the divorce... Sounds like you're similar to me. Having little bike/car/house projects to keep the hands and mind busy keeps me sane. Hope all's well man... I'm just getting out of a long term relationship as well so obviously my akra is getting ceramic coated this week lol... In addition to new suspension on the car, and a lot of painting around the house...

#6 ·
Rubber lines fade out overtime. And the feel of steel is just...far better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Hi Pinoy sorry for resurrecting a old post of your's here, but i currently have Spieglar SS lines installed on my 17+ MT-09

i recently purchased a rcs19 with the mounting kit
plus i also order the Brembo fine thread bolt etc.

Considering i have the SS Spieglar lines on already would i encounter any issues with the connection at the master cylinder end? or would any modifications be needed?. How does the system work for you now considering im doing the same. would be great to hear your feedback on it!

Also were the lines the SS spieglar lines long enough and no kinks etc?

Cheers

#8 ·
Hey @Kylos no worries. It was a painless process connecting the SS lines to the RCS MC. May just have to adjust the angle with the supplied Spiegler End adjuster.

the biggest PITAwas the removal of the lines as well as bleeding the old system. The next time I do this, I am definitely getting an air compressor to drain the system. So much cleaner and less messy than a shitty hand pump.
As far as the after effects, it’s brakes like a dream now! Though I may have to rebuild the internals of the system.

length was definitely plenty though I would WD40 some of the rubber grommets to make ease of moving them up and down the lines

#9 ·
thanks so much, @PinoyRider88 for the feedback, excited now! should be receiving in the mail this week and it's straight off to install, so curious to see the difference vs stock as people have also noted it is significant......will keep you posted on if I run into any issues but considering what you said, it seems like it will go just dandy :D

#10 ·
Yea good luck with the front lines. They are a PITA to remove. There is a bolt under the frame near where the throttle came for the intake is on the left side. I highly recommend in line wrenches

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.