Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon,

(I searched, please don't bash)

I recently purchased a 16 FZ09 and I am in love, I knew from the get go that I would have to do some adjustments for the suspension and I am wanting to pick some fellow riders brains and see what the community would recommend.

First off, the amazement:
I rode a friends FZ09 a few times before buying mine, his felt great, it was a 14 model with no mods pure stock and he had adjusted his suspension to his weight 160-180 ish. I ripped the hell out that thing down our favorite roads and twisties riding wheelies out the turns it was pure bliss, I HAD to buy this bike.. I hit the limiter a few times in the straights and it was insane how fast the bike got there, no wobble, no problem. I remember thinking to myself (man all the talk about suspension I can deal with this it feels great, I was wrong and now im confused)

Second, the problem:
Shortly after riding his, I found one close to me and went out and bought it. On the way home I got comfy, got to the interstate, and ripped it onto the on ramp and while accelerating around 105-115 got a scary wobble. It wasn't a take slapper, but if I stayed at that speed it felt like I could have eventually high sided the bike due to the weaving left to right. I pulled the bike down to 85 and rode it the rest of the way home questioning what was going on. My first thought was the suspension, the previous owner was like 6'5 at least 200 lbs so I knew he had to of adjusted the suspension.

Third, attempting to find the solution:
I got with the friend who had the FZ09 I rode, and matched his settings to my settings, aired the tires up as they were low to the recommended 36/42 and went out for a ride. It was better, but I still had scary wobble/weave in the 105-115 range. If I powered through it, it would stabilize, but it was scary as hell so ive been keeping it tamed under 105. I went back and adjusted my suspension to be even stiffer (I set it up how that sport rider website mentioned) and its better once again, but still wobbly and now stiff as HELL. I read another post on here about a guy who had wobbles like that and it was his tires causing it, I checked my tires and they're those cheap shinko tires and they look TERRIBLE, theyre brand new but when I mean terrible, like the front tire has a center tread that runs along the whole tire like it circles the tire in the center so the front has a huge gap and no contact patch..? I plan on replacing both tires with either Q3 as thats what I rode on my CB500F and they were great, just didnt last super long (they made a Q3+ thats last longer so I will go with those if I do the Q3) - but I am also thinking about those PR4's I have seen everyone talking about them and seem very nice.

Heres my question:
1. What suspension settings would you wonderful gents/and gentets recommend for aggressive street riding for a slim n short fellow at 130 lbs (140) 5'9 with gear on.

2. What remedies would you recommend for helping with that scary wobble/weave I am getting at 105-115?

For fixing wobble here is what I already know:
New tires (This is a must regardless, I dislike this shinkos)
Wheel alignment has been checked, looks good
Will get wheels balanced when I get new tires tomorrow

·
Vendor
870 Posts
> I was wrong and now im confused)

It happens. :)

Good Afternoon,
aired the tires up as they were low to the recommended 36/42
That is max pressure at max loading. Try something way more sensible like 34F/R and since you're light, you could go a little lower but we'll leave that for another (existing) thread.

1. fix your tire pressures
2. measure your sag. bike sag (just the bike vertical), and rider (you in the saddle)

Messing around with damping is pointless until you know where you are on fore/aft balance and stroke.

>but I still had scary wobble/weave in the 105-115 range.

Unless you're quoting KM/h I'd keep that throttle in check until you get things figured out. Not to mention the Fuzz would love to write you a ticket if not impound your vehicle on the spot.

> they're those cheap shinko tires and they look TERRIBLE

It would help to know which model you have. Shinko's can be actually rather decent. Maybe you're describing the 005 (aka Podium). I've run a few sets of them - perfectly good tires. Done many a track day.

> slim n short fellow at 130 lbs (140) 5'9 with gear on.

You're likely way over-sprung if the PO replaced springs. See sag above.
The damping difference between a '14 and everything else is significant! So mimicking your buds is pointless.
Watch a few of the suspension adjustment videos on YouTube for a crash course. Search 'Max McCallister'

> 2. What remedies would you recommend for helping with that scary wobble/weave I am getting at 105-115?

Don't ride at 105MPH? On an unsorted bike without having done ANY setup?

Do the homework above and get back to us.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> I was wrong and now im confused)

It happens. :)

That is max pressure at max loading. Try something way more sensible like 34F/R and since you're light, you could go a little lower but we'll leave that for another (existing) thread.

1. fix your tire pressures
2. measure your sag. bike sag (just the bike vertical), and rider (you in the saddle)

Messing around with damping is pointless until you know where you are on fore/aft balance and stroke.

>but I still had scary wobble/weave in the 105-115 range.

Unless you're quoting KM/h I'd keep that throttle in check until you get things figured out. Not to mention the Fuzz would love to write you a ticket if not impound your vehicle on the spot.

> they're those cheap shinko tires and they look TERRIBLE

It would help to know which model you have. Shinko's can be actually rather decent. Maybe you're describing the 005 (aka Podium). I've run a few sets of them - perfectly good tires. Done many a track day.

> slim n short fellow at 130 lbs (140) 5'9 with gear on.

You're likely way over-sprung if the PO replaced springs. See sag above.
The damping difference between a '14 and everything else is significant! So mimicking your buds is pointless.
Watch a few of the suspension adjustment videos on YouTube for a crash course. Search 'Max McCallister'

> 2. What remedies would you recommend for helping with that scary wobble/weave I am getting at 105-115?

Don't ride at 105MPH? On an unsorted bike without having done ANY setup?

Do the homework above and get back to us.
First off, thank you.

1. I noticed when I was reading around on the forums, that I was most likely running the tire pressure too high, so once I get the tires swapped today I am going to try 30-34 ish and see how that works out.

2. Thank you for the YouTube recommendation, once I get the time, I will definitely be setting up the suspension sag for my proper weight.

3. Sadly I am referring to MPH, and I know I shouldn't be going that fast but we have nice back roads and it makes it hard to not rip the straights powering out the turns and things get out of hand real quick (really really quick on the 09 lol)

4. They are the Shinko 009 Raven, they dont seem like bad tires, but im thinking maybe the previous owner just got a bad tire.

5. Sadly, the PO did not change anything on the suspension besides the settings, it was on his to-do list but never got around to it.

6. I agree with you about not riding at 105 without having the proper setup, its not smart, I have been keeping it tamed under that and at max hitting the 105 and then backing down before it gets wobbly.

All in all, mainly just wanted to pick a few brains and see what the community thinks, I appreciate your response and look forward to diving more into this situation so maybe it can help someone else out in the future. Cheers!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Also check steering head bearings for play and notchiness. But likely the things pattonme mentioned is where your problem lies.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also check steering head bearings for play and notchiness. But likely the things pattonme mentioned is where your problem lies.

Good idea, I will dig up some info on that and see what I can figure out, thank you for the suggestion.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I don't see any mention of a windshield or windscreen on the bike????

I mention this because before I installed a windscreen I found the front end to be a bit light. If I was riding into the wind on the highway and passed a semi, the handlebars started to wobble a bit. After I installed a windscreen I have never experienced any front end/handlebar wobble since. Even a small windscreen can help make the front of the bike feel more planted as it adds a bit of wind down force to the front of the bike.

If you do not have a windscreen it might be worth trying one to see if it fixes your problem. You also do not want to have a death grip on the bars, what is another way to induce a front end wobble on most bikes.

Hopefully, you can get it sorted and enjoy your new bike. ;)

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
What were the wind conditions when it wobbled? Did you stiffen your grip when it started to weave? I had a bit of a weave in a strong wind coming from the front right quarter. It's never done it since.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good Afternoon,

Just wanted to thank everyone for the replies and post an update.

At this moment, I seemed to have resolved the issues that I have been facing, so hopefully this helps someone out.

I replaced both tires with the Q3+ and they're amazing, super sticky and the compound they use on these tires is really nice. The side walls are made out of carbon so it's pretty stiff (idk how much that really helps but I thought it was cool) - the ride is way better and I'm enjoying the new tires. I also bumped the pressure down to 32/34. Upon further inspection of the other tires the shop mechanic was in awe, it was clear the previous owner had been mounting/balancing the tires on his own. The front tire had 6 weights on it and the rear tire had 8, they were positioned in a weird staggered pattern I've never seen before.. it looks like the previous owner was having issues getting those tires balanced so he spaced the weights out to get it to balance, it was strange. The front tire had weights on the side and in the middle and that was a bit strange as well. The shop ended up having to do 4 weights on the front/back but the mechanic said they balanced perfect.

I readjusted my suspension and did 3 bars showing for preload, and rebound as hard as possible, then one turn back. For the rear I did setting 5 for preload and rebound was full stiff then 1.5 turns out. So far, the suspension is filling nice for my weight and doesn't dip down much in turns, and picking the wheel up and coming back down doesn't bounce around much. I am still wanting to do the Andreanni Cartridge kit and swap the rear shock but will get to that once I have the funds/time since right now I'm not having any problems with the suspension (subject to change)

We installed the front/rear tire and checked the bearings to ensure everything was rolling smoothly, and then used a torque wrench to reinstall and ensured it was setup for the correct specs. The first time I pulled the wheel off it was super scary as the rear axle bolt was pretty loose (I know, when I bought the bike I should have checked these things the second I got home, there's no excuse for that)

I also picked up the small little windscreen off amazon for 18$ prime (gotta love amazon) and overall it adds a nice touch to the bike and if you tuck really really really tight you can almost feel the wind getting pushed over you lol, but it does look way better covering up those wires. I agree with rockey, it's possible those little windscreens add more downforce in certain situations helping keep the front tire planted but idk.

After this was all said and done and the bike was all put back together, I spent some time on one of my favorite roads getting the tires scrubbed in and ready to ride, then hit the straights and pinned it back. The bike roared through 1st-6th with no problems and then hit its limiter at 135. I repeated this a few times just to make sure it wasn't a coincidence that it's no longer wobbling, but it's not. The bike is handling phenomenally and overall I am super happy to no longer be getting scared shitless when the bike starts wobbling. I did a few pulls from 4th-6th from around 90-125 and no problems, bike stays planted.

So in conclusion,
1. Check your tires & air pressure (replace if needed)
2. Check wheel alignment, I use a micrometer when I tighten my chain, and it makes wheel adjustments accurate and easy.
3. Have a shop mount/balance your tires (unless you know how to do this yourself, my shop charged me 15$ per tire)
4. Adjust your suspension for your weight
5. Consider getting a small windscreen, the one off amazon worked fine.
6. Use a torque wrench to ensure your bolts are fully torqued to spec so nothing's coming loose on you.

Those are the steps that helped me fix my wobble, if anyone needs any advice on the matter, please feel free to message me I will be happy to help.

Thanks everyone who replied with advice, I really appreciate the community on these forums, it's a great place to learn and I like learning.

Cheers everyone, stay safe, and enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Excellent! Glad you got it sorted and now you know how to do all that maintenance and know what to look for when something's not feeling right. Good job!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts