Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a super cheap fz09 the other day and took it to my mechanic as I was previously told it had motor issues. Was unable to start due to lack of a battery. Mechanic told me it sounds like a spun crank bearing and also found a crack in the case so I'm now looking for a new motor. Seeing fz motors on eBay for 1200 to 1500 but not sure what all fits. So question is...
What motors will fit my 16 fz09? I prefer to keep my ecu, harness, airbox, etc to keep costs down.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think it would be the 2014-2016 engines are pretty much the same but I am no expert. Someone will be along to verify shortly.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
93 Posts
As far as I know all the engines are the same - you would want to transfer over your electronics (including things like the throttle bodies, sensors, etc) to the new engine. But all the hard parts should be the same. If you get one of the 'newer' engines then it will have the slipper clutch, which the older models didn't have, but it should cause any issues.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Called my local Yamaha dealer and they said they don't know. How does the service dept. not know?

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
93 Posts
I would build the one you have.
Mechanic told me it sounds like a spun crank bearing and also found a crack in the case
Rebuilding your current motor may be the cheapest option, depending on if you can do it yourself, what your mechanic charges for labor, and how much it would cost to have the crack welded. Assuming a spun crank bearing you'd be looking at worst case the cost of the crank, rod, and a set of bearings & gaskets. The only way to 'know' is to have him tear into the motor to confirm what parts need replacing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My mechanic told me it would be more cost effective to buy another motor. Over 2k for parts and labor or 1200ish for used motor

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
93 Posts
My mechanic told me it would be more cost effective to buy another motor. Over 2k for parts and labor or 1200ish for used motor
Sure, but what is the labor going to be to remove the old engine, swap all the parts over, and then install the new/used engine?

My guess is that a big hunk of the 2k labor is going to be paid either way. Only way to save on that would be to do the swap yourself, but it doesn't sound like that is your plan.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure, but what is the labor going to be to remove the old engine, swap all the parts over, and then install the new/used engine?

My guess is that a big hunk of the 2k labor is going to be paid either way. Only way to save on that would be to do the swap yourself, but it doesn't sound like that is your plan.
Yep
Swap myself. I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I made an 06 gsxr 1000 motor fit in a 98 gsxr 750 frame so the swap on this should be easy. I just don't do internals.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2017 motor is all bolted up. Still need to install radiator, exhaust, airbox, and tank. Will probably be done tomorrow

1 - 20 of 22 Posts