Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As many of you know I went down a few weeks ago with no injuries Well the good news is I'm Just fine.

I've been doing some soul searching on if i really should be riding am motorcycle, and I have come to the conclusion that in fact YES I SHOULD. It was just one of those instances where you do something stupid.

So here is the progress so far without any new parts. I started with the radiator and got the cap bent so i can run the engine without it overheating. I still plan on replacing the whole unit, but it is on backorder. I also decided that replacing all the plastic would be a wasteful way to use funds, and a missed opportunity. I decided to paint and sand them.
rear cover damage.jpg rear cover painting.jpg painted rear cover attached.jpg
Black Satin was the closest to the graphite i could find.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now for the front scoop
The Workshop.jpg
right scoop painted.jpg
Full satin scoop and rear.jpg

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I also found it necessary to paint the frame, the black satin was a close match so a little fading allowed me to paint over it without it being too obvious.
painting the frame.jpg
All Finished even though i need to fix the right rear set and the two engine covers.
Full satin scoop and rear.jpg

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
How does it look? I love the satin! I think i will paint the front fender the same cover to match.

On order is a 2008 ZX-10R rear shock (By Marthy's example. Of course nowhere near Nick's quality, but much better than stock I'm sure!)

I also have a new radiator and the whole radiator cap assembly. New rear set and peg. From Nick i have the removable foot peg pin, the front spring replacement, the tank grips, and the beautiful woodcraft frame sliders.

I am also considering a new set of handlebars that are a little flatter to increase my lean forward a few inches.

I love this motorcycle and i am enjoying my new hobby of making it into my ideal two wheeled transportation. Thanks to everybody who has helped me with knowledge and experience and recommendations!

Let me know what you think of the Satin Black, i really like it. I think i may do everything but the gold forks in the satin since it matches my new helmet.

I liked my HJC IS-MAX BT - Light, good vision, comfortable
full face 1.jpg
But i love my Nolan N90, it is light, close fitting, feels of high quality, clever design, good value.
N90.jpg

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Its an old Jamis Dakar. Its almost 10 years old i just got it from Montana and brought it to social and spent some dough to get her running again. I feel like 2 wheels and me are connected by dollar signs these days.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some progress:

I saw some old school bullet style turn signals on ebay that i liked so i ordered them....from china. They arrived in about a week and are good quality and i spent less than $40 in total. I ordered some rizoma turn signal adaptors for a FZ8 that looked like they would do what i wanted, and they were perfect all i had to do was drill the hole out to 3/8th in. I figured a step by step would be a waste of my time since they are just turn signals and are easy to install if you can do basic wiring. Here are the rears:

Turn Signals on bed.jpg
Signals Rear Rear.jpg
signals rear side.jpg
signals rear top.jpg
signals rear rear on.jpg

I'll try to install the fronts and post those pictures on Monday.

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think she's a beauty even with all her dermal abrasions. Myself, as long as she's mechanically fit I wouldn't sweat the rest. I look at missing paint, dents, and dings the same way I look at the scars my own body carries. Each one has a story to tell, I can..... and I bet you can too... name the day, the time, the place, and even what the weather was like the day I/you got that scar/dent/ding/scratch.... In some fashion we all have a story to tell and IMHO so should our rides... In the end she's still gorgeous.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think she's a beauty even with all her dermal abrasions. Myself, as long as she's mechanically fit I wouldn't sweat the rest. I look at missing paint, dents, and dings the same way I look at the scars my own body carries. Each one has a story to tell, I can..... and I bet you can too... name the day, the time, the place, and even what the weather was like the day I/you got that scar/dent/ding/scratch.... In some fashion we all have a story to tell and IMHO so should I rides... In the end she's still gorgeous.

That's why I'm not gonna replace the tank, I'm putting stickers on the major scratches and leaving the dents. But I think she deserves the fixes that my limited skills can provide.

Reactions: MasonMoto#1

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I finished the turn signals. Since I am new to wiring on motorcycles, i failed to realize that the fronts have 3 wires. One for running lights, one for turning, and one for ground. I thought to try and put a diode in the wiring to prevent my running lights from screwing with my turn signals and just wire the running and turing wires together. After i bought some diodes and what not i realized that when it goes to turn on the turn signals it doesn't simply turn off the running lights and start blinking, it activates a second filament in the bulb which i didn't feel like duplicating. So i took the running lights out of the equation and just wired up some turn signals. I then went and got a flexible amber LED strand and affixed them to the turn signal stalks so i had some running lights. I think in the future if i can find a suitable pair of running lights to add to the illumination I will do that because the LED's look kind of silly. I wanted to keep the stock amount of lighting while i search though.
angle front lights on.jpg
angle front lights.jpg
front lights front on.jpg
front running lights on.jpg
I decided that the lights that came with the turn signals were terrible. They weren't very bright and i felt that nobody would ever see them. So i went to Autozone and bought myself some LED's for $25 a pair. Now they are a lot brighter. I should have gotten amber though because now they are a yellowish color.

The one on the right is the LED.
rear led comparison.jpg

Now my question is how do i stop the lights from blinking so fast...and how hard is it? I really don't want to do more wiring but i feel like i will be giving somebody a seizure at this rate.

New thread with videos of the turn signals "How do you slow down turn signals"

Reactions: Klye07

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
The lights are blinking fast because the LED's have less resistance than the stock bulbs. There are relays that will take care of the issue... I'll look for them later if I have the time. In-line resistors aren't the best idea IMO just because of how much heat they can build up.

Something to keep in mind... Don't know if it will happen on this bike, but this happens on other Yamahas, the Warrior comes to mind. Turning the bike off with the kill switch will eventually cause the "Click of death", so turn the bike off with the key to avoid that.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Lol @ "I really don't want to do more wiring but i feel like i will be giving somebody a seizure at this rate. "

Not hard, but I haven't done it, when you see LED turn signals in catalogs etc you can also get some little thing that corrects the blink rate.

I'm glad I'm not in a hurry to do this. ;)

Edit: Stellmon knows what he is talking about, I don't lol.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The lights are blinking fast because the LED's have less resistance than the stock bulbs. There are relays that will take care of the issue... I'll look for them later if I have the time. In-line resistors aren't the best idea IMO just because of how much heat they can build up.

Something to keep in mind... Don't know if it will happen on this bike, but this happens on other Yamahas, the Warrior comes to mind. Turning the bike off with the kill switch will eventually cause the "Click of death", so turn the bike off with the key to avoid that.
Good cause i don't use the kill switch very often if at all. I don't like the idea of electric stuff working when I am not using it, so i just turn the key. Something with kill in it's name is not what i like to use with motorcycles :)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Should just need one, it'll replace the stock relay. You will lose the self canceling feature though, if our bikes even have that?? Lol

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
1. For the 09?
2. Where do you plug it into?
3. Do you need just one of them?
yep, works fine on the 09 and you only need one. the turn signal relay is under the seat near the battery. it's the only relay that has that style connector, you'll know it when you see it.

i don't have a photo, but here's what the oem relay (25) looks like from the parts fiche:

Should just need one, it'll replace the stock relay. You will lose the self canceling feature though, if our bikes even have that?? Lol
no self cancelling. so i have to wonder why the oem relay is $50.

the hazards also still work fine with the electronic relay.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
So if you had LED signals at one end of the bike and incandescent at the other you'd need the stock relay for one and LED compatible for the other?
no, there's only one turn signal relay for all of the signals. the electronic relay keeps the blink rate the same regardless of how many or what kind of turn signals you have.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts