Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First long ride I've taken (got me to my 600mi oil change) and other than the fact that I realized I NEED that Corbin seat, was a great ride. Went from Warwick RI to newington, ct to but an ermax windscreen off another member (ricoduck). 165w to 2 out, route 6 all the way back in. My dad came out, good excuse to get his new Bonneville out, and what a difference it is being able to ride with an experienced 30 year rider as opposed to a bunch of kids. I got to actually relax and ride instead of babysitting.

As far as the windshield goes, without it I'm comfortable up to about 60. Over 60 and the wind starts whipping the jacket around pretty hard, and it's nearly impossible to hear my bike mounted speakers.

I put the windshield on in the lot and because it interfered with the speaker mounts, I ended up repositioning them to INSIDE the windshield (ermax 33cm). Shield looks great and WOW was I surprised at the difference in speaker sound. The sound now reverberates under the windshield and not only amplifies the sound, but adds bass as well. I can now hear my music CLEARLY cruising at 75, and so could my dad riding next to me. The shield has little/no effect on wind at head level, but the constant chest pressure is GONE. once I order the gunfighter and lady seat, this bike should be plenty comfortable for any length ride this season.

I must say I still like the look of the bike without the shield vs with it, but the benefits far outweigh the cosmetics.

Reactions: Tigershark

·
Registered
358 Posts
Glad to hear that it works out for you. Putting the Puig Windscreen on my bike made a big difference! It still can get a bit uncomfortable traveling at highway speeds for long periods of time but it isn't as bad as it was before with out the windscreen.

By the way.. What made you ride to Newington? Thats about 10 min from where I am!

edit: wow.. read your post too fast. never mind lmao

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I agree with you, the wind does hit hard. I used to think that the flyscreen on my Suzuki GS500 was for looks, but I found out it wasn't until I rode the FZ for the first time and got her up to 85 mph. I was off that throttle really quick.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
yeah my head gets knocked around pretty much w/ my puig sport. I have a cheap helmet so not too sure if a more aerodynamic helmet would help much or if i need a bigger windscreen.

IROC; pic of you speaker setup?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I bought one of these because I had one before on another bike and really liked it. This past weekend I went for a good ride and, ummm, "accidentally" hit 165 kph (102 mph) with no issues what so ever. I do not have a steering damper, and still run with the stock suspension with the preload cranked up quite a bit. There was zero stability issues, and the bike felt nice and stable.

MRA VarioTouringScreen Windshield for Yamaha FZ-09 '14 - TwistedThrottle.com

I like the adjustable spoiler which has multiple setting and find it in the half open position works best on the highway.

Oh, and no bobble head issues either, and it was a bit windy on that run as well.

p.s. - the "accidental" part is because the 09 makes it easy to accelerate in a hurry, you gotta love that torque curve, lol.

Reactions: Jem

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Bill (IROC57). Nice meeting you and your dad this weekend. Thanks for making the ride out to Newington. Glad to hear the windshield is working out for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts