Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned this to a few of you guys during last week's group ride, so figured I should make a formal post before too late.

Date: 10/17/14 with a rain date of the following week
Time: 6:30PM-10:30PM
Where: Great Meadows, NJ - Directions
Price: $25/rider or $12/spectator

I was unaware until a few weeks ago that Island Dragway is back up and running. They were closed for a while and I wrote them off...happy they are back in the game, since it's a lot closer to home than Englishtown.

So anyway, I'll be bringing the FZ-09 out to the drag strip for the first time. Feel free to come out and run or just hang out. For those who are interested in running, reference pages 13-15 of http://www.nhra.com/userfiles/file/2014 ET Rule Book_120413.pdf

Hope to see some of you guys there!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Ill mark my calendar and see if I can make it happen.....

Reactions: Stoltec Moto

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm still bummed I missed the group ride so I'll make sure to put this on my calendar. BTW does anyone know if yamaha pulls the same BS that many manufacturers pull where a trip to the track automatically voids your factory warranty?

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still bummed I missed the group ride so I'll make sure to put this on my calendar. BTW does anyone know if yamaha pulls the same BS that many manufacturers pull where a trip to the track automatically voids your factory warranty?
Cool!

I've never personally heard of a motorcycle OEM denying warranty work for track usage. Cars, well, that is another story...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
How would they know you were at a track?

·
Registered
369 Posts
One of the papers you signed when you bought the FZ-09 was for the GPS chip the big Y implanted in you.. That's what you get for not reading the fine print.

As for the drag, I would definitely be interested in spectating. Have to see what my schedule is like.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Beck - There were a few instances were car manufacturers were actually checking racer registration at drag strips and voiding warranties after. I find it really funny that ford put launch controls into the new mustang but if you take it to the strip to try it they will void the warranty.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Beck - There were a few instances were car manufacturers were actually checking racer registration at drag strips and voiding warranties after. I find it really funny that ford put launch controls into the new mustang but if you take it to the strip to try it they will void the warranty.
Ah, I haven't registered at a track before, do they take the VIN? How could they prove I don't own more than one car?

Seems like they include these advanced features for show. Figuring most people would rather brag that their car has it, than actually use it.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Full all-leathers or SFI Spec 40.1/2 suit mandatory on
motorcycles running 120 mph or faster. Two-piece suits must be
joined together with a metal 360-degree zipper at the waist. SFI
Spec 40.1/1 or 40.1/2 suit or leather jacket, leather boots/shoes
Section 4C, page 15 E.T. Motorcycleabove the ankle, and leather gloves are mandatory on ALL
motorcycles. Gloves must be Kevlar-lined or equipped with slide
buttons. See General Regulations 10:10.
The bit about 2 piece suits i assume is for bikes running under 120mph? I don't have leather pants (I need to get a pair but likelyi won't be able to by this run date). I have textile dianese that have a zipper but unfortunately my astars jacket doesnt work with the dianese zipper on the pants..

Either way i'll come and watch.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bit about 2 piece suits i assume is for bikes running under 120mph? I don't have leather pants (I need to get a pair but likelyi won't be able to by this run date). I have textile dianese that have a zipper but unfortunately my astars jacket doesnt work with the dianese zipper on the pants..

Either way i'll come and watch.
I'm not sure if they will allow textile pants with a 360 zip...best to call and ask. I'll be in my Power Ranger get-up...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Still undecided if I should fly up for this one. So far No mention of BBQ.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Still undecided if I should fly up for this one. So far No mention of BBQ.
Looking for authentic NJ BBQ?

While I am thinking about it, do you have any particular goals for times/speed, Nick? I imagine it's almost a completely different discipline. Are you going to make any changes to the bike's setup?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
the drag strip will be our first taste of what it's like to ride in Steve101's neck of the woods. Flat and straight as an arrow :)

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There was a question about the kill switch and lanyard, per NHRA rule book 4C, page 15. As long as your bike has the factory tip-over switch installed, you won't need a dedicated lanyard. Figured I'd post this publicly before people mod their bike or change their mind on coming out.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts