Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copied, mostly, from my Reddit post. My ride report:

Dallas to Destin ---> Destin back to Dallas.

On the way, I took more of an I20 route.

On the way back, I used more of I10 then hit Shreveport to I20.

Needs:

• Windscreen.
  • Better seat
  • Bigger tank

On the way back, gusts were upwards of 25-30 mph. I thought I was going to be tossed off the highway. Not sure if I can fault the bike for that as I've never had to travel in such high winds!
My biggest issue was my throttle hand cramping up. If I didn't stop every 100 miles for gas, I would have had to stop due to this issue.

Lots of folks loved the FZ-09. Always got a look or two at stations. A few times people would come up and ask a question. I didn't mind! It gave me an extra second of rest before hoping back on. Honestly, without a windscreen and a better seat, I cannot recommend this bike for long distance travel. My neck and butt took a hell of a beating. The tank isn't too big of an issue here in the U.S.(gas stations aren't hard to find every 100 miles).
This stuff is probably already common knowledge by now, but I figured I'd share just for the heck of it. It's a great bike. Not perfect.

Not really much else to talk about. Other than wind, she gets up to speed without issues. Breaks when she needs to.

Suggestions on what to go over after such a long ride? I think I've flattened my back tire out :( She now has about 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Righteous!

Are you thinking of getting a large windscreen or going with the flyscreen by Yamaha OEM Accessories?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Righteous!

Are you thinking of getting a large windscreen or going with the flyscreen by Yamaha OEM Accessories?
I'm not sure. She's fine around town without one, but the smaller ones look pretty dang good! Are they effective? If not, on the highway I might have to ugly her up with a large one and remove it whenever I get to a location.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm not sure. She's fine around town without one, but the smaller ones look pretty dang good! Are they effective? If not, on the highway I might have to ugly her up with a large one and remove it whenever I get to a location.
My SV650 had a flyscreen and it definitely moved the air over my head when I was tucked in.

With the extreme upright seating position on the FZ09, I'd worry about it smacking you right in the face if you weren't tucked. Then again, I'm not much on long trips so the flyscreen is a better option for me.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I tried a mid size Givi screen on my first gen naked SV650. It's mount allowed a wide range of angle etc adjustment, I never could get it so it was effective but clean at the helmet level. I really hate buffeting, the steady flow of naked air I'm fine with.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Doing my first 500+ miles day this weekend, I will let you know. I have the Puig screen that I consider med size. Bigger than a fly screen but not a touring screen. Relief about 75% of the wind off my chess and still very laminar flow to the helmet. Seat feel good but never rode all day on it.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I didnt take long trips yet, but I experienced the same issues with mine...uncomfortable seat and too much highway turbulence...to the point that it would cut my ride short. But after the Ermax 25cm screen, and the seat concepts upgrade...those are non-issues now. Seriously, Its as comfy as my YZF-600R, and it has just enough wind deflection for comfort. If you plan to do any more of those rides, you should look into those 2 upgrades

·
Registered
186 Posts
Perhaps someone should chime on just how functional the flyscreen is.

Nice ride report. Can you give us a good interstate MPG? How much gas did it cost to do the 1400 miles? Probably less that 150$???

·
Registered
206 Posts
Perhaps someone should chime on just how functional the flyscreen is.

Nice ride report. Can you give us a good interstate MPG? How much gas did it cost to do the 1400 miles? Probably less that 150$???
I just wrapped up 3100 km in california. No screen, and as little interstate as possible.
Seat is an issue, but fixable. mra touring screen is on, after the trip. will report back.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Your report is exactly what I would expect. My butt got sore sitting on the FZ in the showroom. I know, that's an easy after market fix. I think a fly screen at a minimum would help a little with wind fatigue.

Riding in the wind is no fun at all. We have a wind tunnel north of Anchorage where 25-35 mph is a standard day. My bike weighs a couple hundred more than the FZ-09 and still gets blown around. There just isn't a good fix beyond waiting for better weather. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really can't. I didn't keep track of it. I tossed the little receipts in random pockets and stopped just about every 100 miles....slightly more sometimes. I spent $115.50 according to my bank account. Gas mileage is great with the 09. The problem is after 100 miles, depending on how you're treating her, you're already down to 2-3 bars and those last remaining bars drop FAST. The tank is just too dang small, but the 100 mile rule worked.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just wrapped up 3100 km in california. No screen, and as little interstate as possible.
Seat is an issue, but fixable. mra touring screen is on, after the trip. will report back.
What is that, 10 miles in freedom units? No, just kidding of course. 1926.25 miles beats the heck out of my mileage. Looking forward to your report.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yamaha engineering got us all to a starting point with the FZ-09 (just like most naked bikes). Where we go from that point is up to us and our needs and wants. I like the fact there are track riders and want to be track riders who like having a similar bike on the street using the FZ-09 platform. Likewise, instead of investing in shocks and fork springs, some have chosen to invest in windshields and saddlebags and want to travel in style with this kick ass package of a motor. Some long distance some just commuting. I like that too. Ask yourself, What's the difference? Yamaha did not take it to the finish configuration for an intended use, but FZ-09 owners sure do.
my 2 cents.

Reactions: EdVR

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Naked bikes are not touring bikes.....so why would anyone think an FZ-09 would be any good at all for touring?

·
Registered
192 Posts
FZ09 at touring because of that engine. I believe that will become obvious when we see it, or variation of it, in 32 other Yamaha motorcycles over the next several years. I THINK we're going to.

Honest, this bike is not a touring bike simply because its missing a big windshield. It sort-of resembles a Kawasaki Versus if it had no shield...

By the way, what is a Versus? Also, what is "Strom" Strom looks like a drunk was trying to write "storm"

Anyway, I hope someone builds a quick detach windshield for this. They did these in the old days. Nothing more than plexiglass and brackets.

They looked awful, but would save your butt when you decided to drive the bike across the country. I remember seeing a lot of the Yamaha xs650's touring on the open road. If these people could have used the 09 instead, man...

We've gotten spoiled on being able to buy such use specific bikes. Oh yea, sales also got so fragmented it ruined the sport. All the various groups hate each other. For me, thats why the 09 is the most important, and significant bike built in the last 15 years. Its a great, solid, not specific use motorcycle.

The more use specific a motorcycle becomes, the worse it is in ALL other conditions. Its not a good trade off. You gain 20% in track performance, and lose 50% of a bikes street worthiness.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Another member, skydivertom, requested through PM that I post pictures of the 2 mods I suggested. Skydiver must be new here, cause these mods have been discussed extensively over the last few months...so here is a re-cap
Ermax 25cm screen
A good thread: http://www.fz09.org/forum/13-fz-09-gear-accessories/1134-ermax-screen-sport-25cm.html
there are a dozen others. Here is a squidly picture of Niner with his screen, nice gear Niner

you can buy it here for $97.20: Ermax Nose Screen Sport 25cm for Yamaha FZ09

As for the seat, Seat Concepts is a vendor here, they have their own sub-forum...here is their main thread:
http://www.fz09.org/forum/40-seat-concepts/990-new-seat-group-buy.html
Here is a pic, courtesy of zloikish:

and a pic from their site:

Buy it here for $159.99 (do yourself a favor and send your pan to them to have them install it for $20)
Seat Concepts - Products

1 - 20 of 39 Posts