Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just wondering has anyone (else) taken their MT/FZ-09 down the drag strip yet?
I may have last night, with what was probably pretty average times, but I think I'm pretty happy for never having even been to the strip before, let alone raced!

^This was against an S1000RR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like how the 1/8 times are nearly identical, but look at that mph difference. That bimmer is a rocket up top
Exactly. You think your going well. Watching that sign/finish area coming closer and closer, thinking you may somehow even beat them.
Then they go flying past you lol.

Then again you would hope it would do that if you had one, considering they are like twice the price of the MT-09 :p

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Was your bike stock? Was the Beemer?

·
Registered
238 Posts
beemer makes 75% more peak horsepower, so yeah....higher trap speed. wonder if it had the optional traction control package.
Don't ALL S1000RR's come with traction control? Pretty sure they do. I know I test rode one at a track day 2 years ago and that's what the dealer told me...

Regardless - great 1/4 mile time! Your reaction time was great and you had the Beemer covered up until the 1/8th mile mark, then there is just no fighting that engine on the BMW - it's a monster!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Motorcycle-USA clocked 11.33 @ 121.2 MPH
CW clocked 2.7 to 60 MPH

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
did you have to wear full leather to do the run? did you have a windscreen on?

Was your bike stock?

·
Registered
238 Posts
abs is standard, traction control is an option.

bmw had to cut corners to reach that $15k price point. :laughing6:
Ahhh gotcha.

3 reasons for my confusion:

1. Dealer told me trackside - how dare he! LOL...
2. I googlededed it this morning and the google told me:

For the first-time ever, German motorsports giant BMW enters Superbike Smackdown competition with its all-new S1000RR. Earlier we had the opportunity to ride it during a stand alone test in Portugal. Read about it in the 2010 BMW S1000RR First Ride and then check out how it fared in our Superbike Smackdown VII Track test too. BMW’s flagship Superbike features more techno-wizardry than any other mass-produced production street bike. Adjustable multi-mode engine power, traction control and ABS, an electronic quick-shifter, and an ultra high-tech Inline Four engine that spins up to 14,000 revs and delivers 180-plus rear wheel horsepower all for a price that is competitive with all four of the motorcycles from Japan. It’s amazing.

and...

3. Apparently here in Canuckland or at least BC, dealers only brought in the full tits model so all of them had TC - again, if you believe my local dealer! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Was your bike stock? Was the Beemer?
Yeah my bikes totally stock.
I ended up racing 2 S1000RRs that night, the second one was a bit quicker though with a 10.708 (he looked like he knew what he was doing though)...
Didn't really talk to the guys too much, but other than an Akro, they appeared stock. Hard to say though...

did you have to wear full leather to do the run? did you have a windscreen on?

Was your bike stock?
As above yeah my bikes stock other than the MT-09 windscreen and some sliders (SW-Motech).
They say you only need to wear a jacket, closed in shoes, jeans, gloves and helmet.
Unless your bike will be under 10 seconds, then full leathers are required.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts