Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out which way to go with my FZ and 636. I have an 05 Kawi zx6r 636 race bike that has an Ohlins ttx rear shock and rebuilt forks. The bike needs some work and the suspension is probably the most valuable thing on it, so I'm thinking of donating it to my FZ instead of putting out a couple grand to fix the suspension. Then I'd probably sell/part out the rest of the kawi. I have heard of people doing the zx6rr rear shock conversion using some new bolts/spacers from a gsxr so I ordered those. I had considered using my stock zx6r rear shock, but I held off because I don't see that as much of an upgrade.

So will either or both work on the FZ? I know there are spacing concerns with the rear shock. Don't they need to be shaved down in one area? The front end, well I figure there are several issues with a swap there, but just curious if anyone has looked into it.

Any advice?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I went with a '06 ZX6RR shock. I went with the Suzuki spacer/nut/bolt as well. The only mods I had to do is file down the side of the reservoir a little (1-2mm) as it was rubbing on the frame. Also, I rerouted the starter wire for additional clearance for the shock reservoir.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wandering what I would need to do to retrofit rear shock from 2014 zx10 and could I also retrofit front shocks

·
Registered
320 Posts
I used the stock shock from an 05 ZX6R, not the RR and I consider it a large upgrade over stock. Its really not even close. If I were you, I'd put the stocker back on and sell the bike as a complete bike, use the Ohlins on the FZ. Just my .02

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd imagine the Ohlins reservoir position is different. I'm wondering if it will still fit, even with some filing. Might just have to do it and see...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used the stock shock from an 05 ZX6R, not the RR and I consider it a large upgrade over stock. Its really not even close. If I were you, I'd put the stocker back on and sell the bike as a complete bike, use the Ohlins on the FZ. Just my .02
That's part of the answer I was looking for. So even an old stock 6r shock is better than the FZ stock? Assuming the Ohlins does fit, I'm thinking my best route right now is like you said, stock 6r shock back on 636 and sell it for whatever, and just buy and upgrade for the FZ forks instead of trying to do that swap. But maybe some others here know more.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It's worth a look, if the reservoir is 90 degrees you will have issues, the filing he is referring to is if you mount the reservoir down it will rub the frame. If you mount with reservoir up you need to trim about 1/2-3/4 inch off of the plastic tray under the seat. I mounted reservoir up because plastic is softer than metal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts