Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

601 - 620 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry the current 02 controller does not work on your model bike. I do have a Version that works with euro4 ecu's but won't be bringing it to the market.
Well crap. Maybe I'll see if there are any buyers on the forum. Such a great mod while I was able to use it. Thanks Kevxtx!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry the current 02 controller does not work on your model bike. I do have a Version that works with euro4 ecu's but won't be bringing it to the market.
Kevxtx,

Just for my own curiosity, what are the differences in the bike that make the current controller incompatible? What would be the implications of running it on the XSR platform? I don't plan on installing it based on your advice, but I'd just like to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The 2017 ECU's are Euro4 compliant & have a more stringent emission monitoring systems, with the older O2 controller it can now detect that the closed loop is not in the right range after a period of riding & brings on the engine light, the bike will then need to go to the dealer for the fault to be cleared or a scan tool used.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The 2017 ECU's are Euro4 compliant & have a more stringent emission monitoring systems, with the older O2 controller it can now detect that the closed loop is not in the right range after a period of riding & brings on the engine light, the bike will then need to go to the dealer for the fault to be cleared or a scan tool used.
and the Euro4 standard also applies to US bikes? I'm aware of the special California emmisions specs but I wasn't aware Euro standard were implemented in the US.

·
Registered
614 Posts
and the Euro4 standard also applies to US bikes? I'm aware of the special California emmisions specs but I wasn't aware Euro standard were implemented in the US.
Not sure on that one, I know 100% all the 2017 EU ECU's are all Euro4 emissions.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Marty I am not here trying to prove anyone is one is right or wrong, we are always learning new things on bikes & I love to learn, all I am trying to do is provide the facts that I can prove & have actually tested with the 09 fuel injection myself, I am very careful what I say online & make sure I can back up what I say with hard proof, I do lots of home work & usually work directly with the main tuning guys, I spent thousands a year of my own money on the Dyno with mods with before & after runs testing new mods + custom maps for many bikes, I am a qualified motorcycle mechanic with many years experience in tuning bikes I have done a lot of work with the Yamaha's & the latest KTM's, I can back up what I say 100% & if I am wrong on some thing I would be the first to put my hand in the air & say I was wrong.

From the testing I did, Dyno Jet USA & Dyno Jet Australia can confirm this on the 09 that the closed loop A/F ratio is unstable in 5th & 6th gears after riding for a couple of min’s with the O2 sensor unplugged disconnected, with the O2 sensor unplugged the A/F ratio cycled & spiked as you mention to around 12:1 but not in constant timing it would cycle & run rich at random which is still unexplained. A few riders on this forum have already contacted Dyno Jet directly to confirm what I have said is true & Dyno jet have backed my statements up 100%, if you want to do a proper tune you need to map the closed loop A/F ratio as well you can't just unplug the O2 sensor & tune the bike correctly, if you unplug the O2 sensor the closed loop is unstable. I know you have been working with the mapping & O2 sensor disconnected I have followed your work closely behind the scenes, in the market we call it screening or masking when we try & over lap the A/F ratios between the open & closed loops using open loop fuel tables.

For me the only way I could monitor the closed loop A/F ratio correctly was with one wideband sensor & the OEM narrow band sensors in the header at the same time. To measure the open & closed loop mapping correctly we run the bike on the dyno with a constant brake load at a constant throttle opening let’s say 4000rpm as an example, we then look at the A/F ratio in the closed loop & then start to apply more dyno brake, the air intake pressure sensors then sense the load change & we can see the bikes ECU kick out of the closed loop into the open loop we can see & measure the A/F ratio change. On the Dyno I use Tune Link tuning software which is great tuning software & is 10 times faster than tuning by hand on the Dyno
I know this is a really old post...but you are correct. In the 2nd paragraph you say the A/F ratio is unstable in 5th and 6th gears. You are right...but the bike doesn't have to be in gear at all to see this unstable condition. In neutral just hold a constant 3k for 10 seconds and watch the A/F ratio gauge drop down to as low as 10.5 to 1. This is WITHOUT the narrow band 02 in the system. This drove me crazy...so I re installed the narrowband 02 that came stock....and low and behold the A/F stayed at 14.6 to 14.7 all the time...no matter the speed or RPM or load conditions. My bike is an FZ07 but I assume the ECU is wired the same as the FZ09.
In case you ask.....stock air cleaner...snorkel in....Black Widow exhaust...baffle in.....EJK controller Green at 4 Yellow at 4.5 and Red at 4.5. Now i'm trying to figure out why the A/F is always 14.6 to 14.7 all the time....no matter speed or load.

I do agree with you now that the only way to tune our bikes is by using the stock 02 sensor. If you don't, the ECU sees ZERO signal and resorts into safe mode after about 5+ seconds. You'll be riding down the Freeway and your A/F will be extremely rich and you never know it.

I just discovered the "unstable" condition yesterday. Now I need to adjust the EJK to get Wide open throttle near 13.6.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So Kev, it's time to update the 02 sensor you prepared for the 04-05 models... and let the ECU light to do not turn on.

Inviato dal mio MIX utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
614 Posts
Thanks for your feedback SD599, I was mainly saying 5th & 6th gears as those were the gears that I based my tests with on the Dyno when testing the closed loop & you are quite correct in your findings, either flash the closed loop off or control the signal.

I will PM you a trick for the closed loop so you can tune your bike better in the open loop across the whole range, I used to use this before I worked out how to control the closed loop.

With all motorcycle ECU's progressing to Euro 4 emissions the way the closed loop still works/operates is basically the same with a few more additions to monitoring, the monitoring of the variables is the big change to the circuit, the ECU looks at the wave signal & voltage differences & will pop the engine light on as soon as it sees any thing it does not like, before we saw no engine light just a fault logged if we interrogated the ECU fault memory, it has long & short stored fuel trims that are applied to the tables.

While in closed loop mode it makes adaptation changes to its fueling tables using the map sensor over RPM, it will ignore the O2 sensor during open loop and goes strictly off of the programed map, but the closed loop fuel trims adapted values are applied from that lookup table so even in open loop the ECU still monitors the O2 sensor for overly lean/rich conditions.

Euro 4 ECU's now use the O2 sensor during the bikes warm up faze once the O2 heater is at temperature to monitor AFR but will not rum the closed loop tables until 66 degrees C when the bike enters the closed loop.

·
Registered
614 Posts
So Kev, it's time to update the 02 sensor you prepared for the 04-05 models... and let the ECU light to do not turn on.

Inviato dal mio MIX utilizzando Tapatalk
I have already developed a new O2 controller for the later models Euro 4 emission ECU but have not brought them to market, there are a few guys using them around Australia.

·
Registered
614 Posts
At this stage I have no intensions to be bring the 2016/17 02 controller to market they were built for a few of my friends who did not want to reflash their ECU's, I am knee deep with the 2017 KTM1290 tuning at the moment & have a few other model bikes to tune, may be down the track.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got mine in the mail today! Absolutely love it! Makes standard mode and A mode much smoother on my 2015 fz-09. Thank you for making this crucial mod. My bike definitely needed this. Much less twitchy throttle now and much more predictable. Really, I can't thank you enough.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Does this void warranty? I would like a less snappy throttle but I site want to flash the bike, or add a pipe just yet.
Also does this hurt the cat converter or anything?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
614 Posts
The O2 controller can be removed at any stage it is a plug & play mod, any modification (be it electrical or mechanical) to a motorcycle where they can prove that that added mod affected a failure will void a warranty, I have never had a claim rejected because of this mod in the 7 years that I have been making them.

Reactions: MC357

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
It worked well for me. I used Kev's throttle mod too.

·
Registered
450 Posts
This sounds like a nice mod to make riding twistys a bit safer with the throttle.
Did it lower your fuel mileage?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Not that I noticed. I have found that A mode is as smooth, maybe more so, than B now for rural roads.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well I am putting a vote in for a 2017 model. Although they work already from what I read, albeit with a check engine light. I said I would never do a mod again with a nuisance light due to an unforseen mishap tuning my car.

601 - 620 of 628 Posts