Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

581 - 600 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
@kevxtx, I made a test...
I enabled closed-loop in my ecu, then installed your o2 controller and finally made a measurements.. the result is in attached file below.
I don't know, maybe I had bad luck and my controller is broken or smth.. but I don't see it's working properly and moreover bike is riding noticeably worse than with closed-loop disabled and more or less correct fuel dose adjustment. And second issue - I had my decel maps perfectly tuned starting from 2000 rpm and now I have feeling that they are ignored when closed-loop is activated. Bike just jerks when I close throttles on revs below 6000 rpm.

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Firstly if your bike is running worse with the closed loop disabled there is something wrong with either the tune or there is an air leak on the intake system, what is the A/F ratio at idle when the motor is warm with the fuel tables uncorrected running the standard base map so as it came from the factory, it should be around 13.4 to 13.6:1? Have you been mapping the MAP/RPM tables. When has this problem started, only after tunning the bike or are you trying to build a tune to rectify the problem?

Something is up as to see 16.6:1 at constant throttles is no logical.

Can you, block off your AIS pipe by inserting a marble or like device directly into the AIS pipe & refit the pipe back onto the air box & then take a second measurement running the O2 sensor only no controller, then fit the O2 controller & send me the datasheets. This will tell us where the closed loop is. I have a test procedure to test the O2 controller which will tell us if it is working PM me your email address & I will email it to you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Firstly if your bike is running worse with the closed loop disabled there is something wrong with either the tune or there is an air leak on the intake system, ...
no, no... I said my bike is running worse with closed-loop enabled and your o2 controller installed. With closed-looped disabled (plus my mods described below) it works perfect. Also there is no option for any leaks or AIS damages - because I replaced it with graves plates.

what is the A/F ratio at idle when the motor is warm with the fuel tables uncorrected running the standard base map so as it came from the factory, it should be around 13.4 to 13.6:1?
extremely high (in terms of lean) ~18 (but there is a certain inaccuracy to which I will return at the end of the post)

conditions:
- untouched fuel map and CO setting
- AIS and closed-loop enabled. AIS not clogged.
- mivv full system installed (without dbkillers) + K&N filter

Have you been mapping the MAP/RPM tables. When has this problem started, only after tunning the bike or are you trying to build a tune to rectify the problem?
no, I've never touched MAP vs RPM matrix...
the problem started when I came up with the brilliant idea of using your o2-controller as an auto-tune at low revs (which are hard to adjust manually by me). So I back to you with asking if mine is not broken.

In normal life my bike is tuned up as follows:
- closed-loop and AIS disabled
- CO setting increased to 15
- TPS vs RPM map adjusted on the basis of external lambda sensor reads.
- decel maps increased in range of 2000-10000 rpm exponentially

the result is not so bad,

accelerations are in range of 12-14 AFR

WOTs are super stable at 13 AFR

idle with ~14 AFR

... take a second measurement running the O2 sensor only no controller ...
sure, I will repeat the test without o2 controller, and back to you with data.

going back to the inaccuracies... in previous post you said that AIS and closed-loop are not working at the same time (I so understood it). So why do you want to verify your controller at idle, when AIS is fully opened? That 18 AFR measured at my bikes idle is with AIS working. When I plug the AIS pipe (still at idle) the result is about 15. if so how does your controller is able to correct the AFR properly?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sorry mate I read that wrong I was rushing to work this morning when I replied.

The idle A/F ratio reference was asked so I could see what it was at idle just encase there was an air leak in the exhaust system or running lean, with the AIS blocked off both my MT09 idle around 13.4 - 13.6, I have never seen a MT09 idle at 15:1 with the AIS blocked off & have had 3 other MT's the Dyno when I built my custom maps & did extensive A/F ratio checking, all of them had the AIS blocked off & read approx. in the same idle A/F range.

With the closed loop flashed off what are the A/F ratios when cruising in the same test conditions, look forward in seeing the A/F ratio results with no O2 controller, in the O2 controllers design it can only send a leaner voltage signal, leaner than the actual A/F ratio read by the O2 sensor, the ECU sees this leaner signal & runs the closed loop A/F ratio richer, the controller mimic's the real A/F ratio & sends an offset leaner signal to the ECU, your results are the total opposite to what the controller controls. A narrow band O2 sensor has problems with readings past 15.2:1, it has a very small working zone.

As mentioned PM me your email address & I will send you the full test procedure in testing the controller, I have no problem if there is a fault with your O2 controller that is easy to deal with, I just cant work out why your bike is measuring such lean A/F ratio's when on the cruise & at idle.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Just want to add my $0.02 here...

I'm using the Dynojet LCD-200 to datalog. There's a setting in there that you set the AFR, it need to be 14.7 Anything different will offset the AFR you log in. I found out when I had the PC hook up once... The AFR on the PC was off from the LCD-200. Might not be the issue here but worth double checking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
in my case I'm not using dynojet stuff..
my lambda sensor is brand new with maybe 100km mileage... and almost each time I do a frash air and heater calibration, so measurements should be accurate

·
Registered
612 Posts
in my case I'm not using dynojet stuff..
my lambda sensor is brand new with maybe 100km mileage... and almost each time I do a frash air and heater calibration, so measurements should be accurate
Once we get the A/F results with just the O2 sensor with no O2 controller & the results show approx. 14.7:1 in the closed loop we can assume the device is reading correctly & we have no other problem. I have PM Daniel some tests to do so we can get on top of this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just wanted to dispel all my doubts and ambiguities... Kev's controller works perfect and is an excellent complement to flash tune, being a some kind of auto-tune in closed-loop phase. Probably in most cases it will work just out of the box, but in case of my bike (with full exhaust system, KN and moded airbox) I had to rescale MAP vs RPM matrix pretty much to allow correct working, giving sexy pretty flat plot ;)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thanks for all your testing yesterday, in the end we worked out what the problem was on your bike, we both have learnt some new things about the closed loop.

·
Registered
730 Posts
AIS does NOT reduce the afr, it merely brings fresh air into the EXHAUST just downstream of the valves. It dilutes the exhaust gases with fresh air.....

@kevxtx, does your controller work properly with AIS permanently blocked off? I noticed that open valve reduces AFR about 1,5-2 points (towards lean).... so how does your controller "know" that current afr read is a real AFR or touched by AIS? I imagine that your stuff assumes only the one option.

Regards,
Daniel

·
Registered
612 Posts
AIS does NOT reduce the afr, it merely brings fresh air into the EXHAUST just downstream of the valves. It dilutes the exhaust gases with fresh air.....
If you are measuring the A/F ratio before the AIS port I agree 100% it is unaffected by the AIS fresh air induction, but if you are measuring the A/F ratio after the AIS port which we are all doing the measured A/F ratio will be affected when the AIS valve injects addition air into the exhaust port after the exhaust valve, we are measuring all our A/F ratio down stream of the AIS valve so it is best practice to block it off when measuring down stream of the AIS valve.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmm i don't completely understand the second part of your answer (bit too technical sorry, also english is not my native language). But then i don't know what's going on.
I can't imagine Dynojet being so off with their optimizer (14.1 instead of the 13.6 they say to be targeting). Strange. A little bit shocking when you think of it, their Optimizer isn't doing no where near what they're saying.
Mayby the Optimizers are set really different for specific models ??
The technician said he would mail me some file which i can look at with Runviewer from Dynojet. I have yet to download the program. But will look into it. Mayby something will be more clear when i have that.
Tracer.jpg

My bike with pc5 and O2 optimizer (= included) tuned on the Dyno.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Graph looks great, nice full throttle run, no O2 optimizer running in that graph.

As mentioned via PM I know how Dynojet get the 13.6:1 using their O2 optimizer, when fitting a PCV + O2 optimizer they are adding +6% more fuel in the open loop mapping area, this will move the closed loop from 14.1 to 13.6:1. This +6% increases the A/F ratio in the Map/Rpm tables in the open loop when you are cruising, the closed loop uses these Map/Rpm tables as part of its equation when targeting the closed loop A/F ratio. Testing back to back same Map/Rpm tables Dyno jets O2 optimizer & my O2 controller mine runs richer in the closed loop. With that extra +6% my controller will move the A/F ratio to approx. 13.2:1 in the closed loop.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think I may have been too many beers into the install yesterday but I couldn't figure out where the smaller of the two connectors is suppose to go. I referenced the instructions, lifted the tank. Couldn't see very well what's under there. Traced the wire the larger cable goes into but it ends in a loom of a bunch of other wires taped together at the frame. Read post 50 of someone having the same issue, but didn't really pick up much from it. Help my dense brain. :)

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
The O2 controller loom slots into each side of the O2 sensor loom connector, the plugs only go one way.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I now own a 2017 XSR900 and was wondering if this same 02 controller will work for the new bike. I took it off of my FZ-09 before selling.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I now own a 2017 XSR900 and was wondering if this same 02 controller will work for the new bike. I took it off of my FZ-09 before selling.
Sorry that I haven't been following for a while. Please tell me: is it still the same problem after all those years, factory engineering and updates since my 2014 MT/FZ-09?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sorry that I haven't been following for a while. Please tell me: is it still the same problem after all those years, factory engineering and updates since my 2014 MT/FZ-09?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
The fueling on the XSR900 is exponentionally better than the stock fueling of my 2014 FZ-09 was, even after I had the 2015 Yamaha flash done. The O2 controller did such a great job at moderating the closed loop issues, I was wanting to try it on the new XSR to see if there was a noticeable difference. I just don't want to install it if it isn't compatible. The new model XSR and FZ-09s have new ECUs ( or so I've read).

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sorry the current 02 controller does not work on your model bike. I do have a Version that works with euro4 ecu's but won't be bringing it to the market.

581 - 600 of 628 Posts