Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have not mentioned anything on the 09 forums lately as no one was interested at that time when I offered testing at the beginning of this year, I did not own a 09 then.

I am not here trying to sell anyone this mod, the topic has been brought up & I wanted to get the story straight from the beginning, I never promote an of my mods, I let riders tell their own story & feedback from using them, there are 9 riders using the mod at present in Brisbane Oz, I have sent test O2 controllers to the UK & USA & will get their feedback when they are able to test them when things warm up.

If anyone wants a O2 controller they can be bough off EBay by searching Yamaha MT-09 FZ-09 MT09 FZ09 O2 Controller

I designed & built them & the closed loop mapping is richer than Dyno jets O2 optimizer as I also have a PCV & Optimizer on my bike with a custom map, when I data logged Dyno jet O2 optimizer it was not at the indicated 13.6:1 on my bike, it is around 13.9:1/14:1 with the AIS blocked off, my controller sets the sign wave voltage to approximate 13.6:1 to 14:1 in the closed loop. I built this mod because I own a 09 & wanted a smoother ride even though I have my own custom PCV map. I welded in a second exhaust bung to read the A/F ratios correctly using a wideband sensor & one od Dyno jet data loggers.

With custom PCV mapping on my bike + an O2 optimizer I was not happy with the closed loop mapping at part throttles so I started data logging the A/F ratio over the past 1000kms, from those results I built my own O2 controller at a different closed loop A/F ratio with smoothness in mind, the mod works well & like all the mods I build all come back with a money back that is how confident I am the mod works, I am a qualified motor cycle mechanic & no guess work has been done here, I have all the facts to back up anything I say.

It is the only mod out there that is able to control the closed loop mapping as a stand along mod, you have to buy a PCV to get a O2 optimizer. This mod is not a performance mod it gets rid of the emission control poor mapping that 99% bikes come with & the results of correcting this lean closed loop area is a smoother riding bike in the closed loop areas.

]

·
Registered
612 Posts
The O2 controller has been tested with the latest 2015 model & works fine. As mentioned Yamaha have not address the lean 14.7:1 A/F ratio in the closed loop it is there for emission control, at 14.7:1 all the hydro carbons are burn off which is great for the environment, as in power we lose lots of torque at 14.7:1, when we correct that lean closed loop A/F ratio we pick up better throttle response. In most ECU mappings there are a few trim tables, F table= TPS/RPM, L tables intake pressure/RPM for the open loop map & they use the L trim tables for the closed loop mapping, so the closed loop A/F ratio is determined by air pressure verse engine RPM verse output voltage from the O2 sensor, I am modifying one of those parameters to change the closed loop A/F ratio.

If there is anyone in Brisbane or surrounding areas that wants to try a O2 controller mod out before buying one pop over to my house & I will fit one for you to try, it only takes a few min to work out if it works or not.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
If you don't quite follow all the technical jargon....I can tell you for a fact that 13.4 to 13.5 closed loop makes a HUGE difference in the way a bike runs and behaves on the on-off throttle transitions. He is correct when he says that the bike will run WAY smoother. However the EJK fuel controller does the same thing and is adjustable. I do not know which one would work better or which one would cost more.

·
Registered
612 Posts
If you don't quite follow all the technical jargon....I can tell you for a fact that 13.4 to 13.5 closed loop makes a HUGE difference in the way a bike runs and behaves on the on-off throttle transitions. He is correct when he says that the bike will run WAY smoother. However the EJK fuel controller does the same thing and is adjustable. I do not know which one would work better or which one would cost more.
Just a question how does the EJK controller adjust the closed loop mapping?

Your statement saying the EJK controller does the same thing as my controller is incorrect, my controller can not map the open loop mapping at all like a EJK, PCV or Flash Tune does, my O2 controller maps the closed loop circuit where the 3 mentioned tuning devices can not adjust the closed loop mapping without an O2 controller interface.

You are correct in saying the bike will ride better with the richer A/F ratio.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Just a question how does the EJK controller adjust the closed loop mapping?

Your statement saying the EJK controller does the same thing as my controller is incorrect, my controller can not map the open loop mapping at all like a EJK, PCV or Flash Tune does, my O2 controller maps the closed loop circuit where the 3 mentioned tuning devices can not adjust the closed loop mapping without an O2 controller interface.

You are correct in saying the bike will ride better with the richer A/F ratio.
By "adjustment" I meant the open loop...not closed loop. We are talking about closed loop. Your posts all refer to "controlling" the closed loop....but are you really "controlling" anything? Doesn't your device alter the 02 signal to a FIXED A/F RATIO of 13.4 ?? Did I read your posts wrong?

·
Registered
612 Posts
By "adjustment" I meant the open loop...not closed loop. We are talking about closed loop. Your posts all refer to "controlling" the closed loop....but are you really "controlling" anything? Doesn't your device alter the 02 signal to a FIXED A/F RATIO of 13.4 ?? Did I read your posts wrong?
No my O2 controller does not fix the A/F ratio it controls the square wave signal which is generated by the O2 sensor according to the unburnt oxygen in the exhaust which is for ever changing, it is constantly adjusting the voltage signal from the O2 sensor to the ECU trying to keep the A/F ratio to approx. 13.4:1.

I have been tuning bikes for many years with hundreds of Dyno tunes under my belt I don't guess on my tunes anything I say I can prove it, if I say my mod is controlling the O2 sensor voltage signal it is. If you are looking for references Google my user name & you will find out the work I do or click on the links in my signature to see my current work, I am here to help, I am not posting here to prove anyone is wrong or right but to provide the correct information for the improvement to our bikes. I provide the facts & let riders post their experience using my mods in their own words, by word of mouth the O2 controller mod will be a susses or it will fail.

It just happens I now own a MT-09 & was unhappy with the fuel injection & have looking at it's problems from a completely different angle & offering a plug & play mod to make your bike ride smoother. If no one wants the O2 controller then that is life, I am not here to make money if you knew me in real life I don't need the extra cash, working on bikes & improving the ride is my passion.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
No my O2 controller does not fix the A/F ratio it controls the square wave signal which is generated by the O2 sensor according to the unburnt oxygen in the exhaust which is for ever changing, it is constantly adjusting the voltage signal from the O2 sensor to the ECU trying to keep the A/F ratio to approx. 13.4:1.

I have been tuning bikes for many years with hundreds of Dyno tunes under my belt I don't guess on my tunes anything I say I can prove it, if I say my mod is controlling the O2 sensor voltage signal it is. If you are looking for references Google my user name & you will find out the work I do or click on the links in my signature to see my current work, I am here to help, I am not post here to prove anyone is wrong or right but to provide the correct information for the improvement to our bikes.

It just happens I now own a MT-09 & was unhappy with the fuel injection & have looking at it's problems from a completely different angle & offering can offer a plug & play mod to make your bike ride smoother. If no one wants the O2 controller then that is life, I am not here to make money if you knew me in real life I don't need the extra cash, working on bikes & improving the ride is my passion.
No need to get sensitive mate....I'm just wondering how a guy in Australia made a device to control closed loop when DynoJet tried, and couldn't do it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Not sensitive at all just trying to provide all the facts & how every thing works, you did imply (did my controller really control anything?) & I responded. I am not your normal run of the mill modder I take things to the next level & was offering a back round check on the work I do in helping riders all around the world.

Dyno Jet have produced their O2 optimizer & they are sold with their PCV for the 09's & it works as designed in controlling the close loop circuit, mine works on the exact same principle but with a richer A/F ratio. I developed mine & was selling it 12 months before Dyno Jet even brought their O2 Optimizers to market, they contacted me shortly after the release of their O2 Optimizer, I sent them one of my O2 controller to prove my design was different & was not in a copy right breach of their design.

All's good mate lets see what riders say about the O2 controller mod.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just posted a thread about this having just spotted the EBAY ad, brilliant idea and I might pull the trigger on one in the new year, big props to you for looking into this, make sure your IP rights are nailed on this one because if this works Id expect you will sell quite a few of these. Aussies and Kiwis are showing their can do attitude, it a good thing :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
No worries, just waiting for some feedback on the forums with the O2 controller.

·
Vendor
1,128 Posts
I have no experience with this device but it sure sounds promising.

Is it adjustable?

what rpm and throttle position are you finding is the crossover point from closed loop to open loop??

thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine is on its way. Looks like this will cover the last part of the fueling problem. I have a EJK controller , M4 and K&N filter on now. But as stated already this only covers the open loop running. This O2 controller will complete the fueling as it takes care of the closed loop riding. We all do a lot of miles in closed loop that is to lean A/F. Motor should run cooler and smoother with this O2 controller. I will let you know. Live in Colorado and it is covered in snow right now.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have no experience with this device but it sure sounds promising.

Is it adjustable?

what rpm and throttle position are you finding is the crossover point from closed loop to open loop??

thanks
When I target an A/F ratio for the retail controller I have an adjustable Controller it is dual channel so I can do V twins as well here is a photo of it on my 1290, I only used one channel to do the 09.

Using my data logger with a second wideband O2 sensor I can see exactly when the closed loop comes in, as standard the A/F ratio shoots all the way to 14.7:1 from around 13.4:1 when entering the closed loop so it is easy to see, depending on engine load the closed loop can be seen to change from 2000rpm upwards I was using Dyno jet data for the 6000rpm change over. I have concentrated more on the closed loop A/F ratio to find that sweet spot for smoothness. I don't sell the adjustable Controller as it is very easy to over fuel the bike with this mod & damage the cat.

To check the O2 controller offset can be done using an oscilloscope, one channel on the OEM O2 sensor output measuring voltage & the other channel on the O2 controllers out put voltage, oscilloscope scaling set to 2V & 10mili seconds, the sign wave voltage signal must be in uniform to each other & timed correctly but with a lower output voltage from the O2 controller which is sending a leaner voltage signal to the ECU than it really is.

I have one 09 here in Brisbane with a remap + full Carbon Akra running the O2 controller & it has improved the rider ride in smoothness.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Mine is on its way. Looks like this will cover the last part of the fueling problem. I have a EJK controller , M4 and K&N filter on now. But as stated already this only covers the open loop running. This O2 controller will complete the fueling as it takes care of the closed loop riding. We all do a lot of miles in closed loop that is to lean A/F. Motor should run cooler and smoother with this O2 controller. I will let you know. Live in Colorado and it is covered in snow right now.
One guy has commented he feels his 09 is running cooler I have not confirmed this as yet, the KTM 690's do run cooler with the richer mixture, I have been running a simular Controller on the KTM 690's for a while now with 100% positive forum feedback. 2012> 690 SD O2 controller mod. - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum

·
Registered
17 Posts
O2 controller

One guy has commented he feels his 09 is running cooler I have not confirmed this as yet, the KTM 690's do run cooler with the richer mixture, I have been running a simular Controller on the KTM 690's for a while now with 100% positive forum feedback. 2012> 690 SD O2 controller mod. - KTM Forums: KTM Motorcycle Forum
Hey Kev, we need to go for a ride soon. Bike is going well with the O2 controller on, best mod so far! Cheers mate.

1 - 20 of 628 Posts