Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
The same site says the 2012 R1 does 3.0 seconds. I'm no expert but something tells the R1 is faster than the fz09. But I've been wrong before.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Appears the source is from Cycle World - 2.7 10.66.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The same site says the 2012 R1 does 3.0 seconds. I'm no expert but something tells the R1 is faster than the fz09. But I've been wrong before.
The 09 has lower gearing so its not surprising to have a faster 0-60, the R1 beats the 09 on the top.
I've seen dyno charts that show the 09 producing more HP up til about 9k then the 180 hp of the R1 takes off.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have the 10 R1 (pretty much stock) and I have to say that the FZ-09 might be quicker off the line initially (the torque is insane) - so your numbers are very believable. I think the R1 gives a smoother power curve while the FZ-09 can give your everything at once. The R1 will run away as higher speeds are being sought.

2014 Yamaha FZ-09 Dyno Run Video

I can't tell you how much I love both those bikes (each are very special and very different). :)

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm not a drag racing expert, but the 09 is very quick zero to 80 or 100mph etc. Way back in the early days of the 09 being owned in the States a forum member took his 09 to the drags and ran against that hot s*** BMW Superbike, the BMW won the 1/4 but was in danger of being embarrassed by the 09 in the 1/8 lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Long ago, I used to do lots of drag strip testing on stock street bikes. Once you hit about 100 horsepower, the 0-60 time is mostly affected by the the front end coming up. You can't use all the power that's available in the initial launch, so you use the most you possibly can while keeping the front end just grazing the pavement. Once the front end comes more than a tenth of an inch, the weight transfers more to the rear and the wheelie only gets worse, unless you back off, and once you do that the run is toast.

A couple of things help the FZ off the line. The FZ has the advantage of having a 1-inch longer wheelbase, which cuts down on the wheelie tendency. It also helps a lot that (according to Yamaha's specs) the FZ is 40 pounds lighter. But as the speed increases, it's going to be an R1 show, big time!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Those numbers sound reasonable to me. My trade in was a GSXR 1000 and although it was much more powerful the FZ has a much wider spread of transmission ratios. In fact the FZ's second gear is almost the same as the GSXR's first gear, so it's like having a whole gear lower. That plus the lighter weight means the FZ is indeed very quick in first gear; it's only above the FZ's first gear speeds that the bigger bike starts to show it's muscle.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I'm not a drag racing expert, but the 09 is very quick zero to 80 or 100mph etc. Way back in the early days of the 09 being owned in the States a forum member took his 09 to the drags and ran against that hot s*** BMW Superbike, the BMW won the 1/4 but was in danger of being embarrassed by the 09 in the 1/8 lol.
.....Way Back in The Day when the FZ-09 was first introduced......lol. Last year :cool:

·
Registered
835 Posts
For sure the quoted times were run on the Graphite, no way the Tepid Red could post those kinds of numbers...
Pretty sure the Blazin' Red had times that were unreadable by the speed cameras. Let's not even start on how slow the Pumpkin' Orange guys are going.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
the pumpkins only look slow because they are there and back before you notice they moved
They moved.......?????:argue:

Reactions: Da Braddah

·
Registered
584 Posts
3 seconds for 0-60....that would be in B Mode, right? LOL

·
Registered
511 Posts
I love this bike. Even if it's not that fast with me on it. It certainly feels quick. It can outrun most anything on 4 wheels. It looks good. It sounds good. I'm gonna go out in the garage and give it a hug!:love5:

·
Registered
835 Posts
it was my first experience drag .... next time with a better temperature I think do well 10.xxx 1/4 miles times ....11.010s 122.28mhp.....1/8 7.082s 60 feet1.723

Wow! Great drag vids. The ZX14 is the only one that could outrun you huh?

Good to know. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts