Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is a really nice looking bike, I think. So glad it doesn’t have that goofy, butt ugly twin headlight setup they’ve used for so long (sorry Triumph fans, it just is 🤪).

However, it’s $21Grrr, and my guess is that the upcoming Yamaha R9 will come in around $12K. For almost twice the price, I really don’t think the Triumph will be twice as fun…

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Yep... I love the new styling.

For the money, I dunno if I'd get one though. That's spaghetti sauce $$.... So a V4 might be what to get. :p

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
It looks better, but too expensive here.

Reactions: MK3Brent

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what I think a lot of people have been wanting to see from the MT09 platform: A sportier version of a naked bike, that’s not a full-on supersport. I think the new R9 - just like the R7 - is going to skew slighly more toward the supersport end of the scale than this one does, but maybe I’m wrong. I have to admit, I’d rather have seen a bikini/half fairing on the R7, and hope to see it on the R9, but I think the 9 will look almost identical to the 7.

If I were a Triumph fan, and were in the market for a bike in this price range, I would have a hard time not running down to the Triumph dealer with deposit money in hand. I think they nailed the styling, and we already know about the performance.

I still can’t wait to see the R9 and the Gen 2 XSR900! 🤤

·
Registered
Batmobile
815 Posts
This thing looks awesome, more than I would spend on a bike, but with all those options it's going to be a great seller at less than $20k.

I'm thinking if the R9 meets my expectations there might be a trade in my future.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,193 Posts
I'm trying to figure out where this motorcycle fits in? The MT 09 and the MT 09 SP are built to a price point that gives a lot of bang for the buck. I moved up to an MT 10 because it shares so much with the R1 but was only 13K and I didn't want a full on super sport bike. That made sense to me. The Triumph is a gorgeous machine but at 21K, I'm thinking, just go for a full on super sport bike.
Having just spent a weekend with 3 excellent riders in a place that allows you to push it pretty far for a public road, I wonder how much more motorcycle you need. All 3 were on 3 - 4 year old MT 09 with good aftermarket suspension. Myself, having 40 HP on them allowed me to barely keep up. There just seems to be a line where you just can't do much more on a public road. At some point it just becomes how fast you can go on a highway.

So for $11,600 more, you could own the Triumph over an MT 09. Consider that for $5700 more than the Triumph, you could buy an MT 09 and a R1. Euro bikes are very seductive, but in my mind it always comes down to paying a lot more to own, maintain, service, waiting longer for parts, and a lot less aftermarket parts available. Then of course, the BIG R, reliability. Contrary to the anecdotal evidence that you always hear about how somebody always owns a (insert Euro brand) bike that's problem free, statistically Japanese bikes have a lot better reliability record plus it's much easier to find a dealer. Having my motorcycle not available is not fun.

Factor in how many people don't even put on a lot of miles versus cost. There's also the snob appeal factor. That's important to a lot of people. As much as I love motorcycles, I have other stuff I spend money on. There's not a right or wrong viewpoint. This is just my perspective.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rather have the Ducati V2 over this new triumph RR anyday. Saves you about £3000 too.
But they really aren’t in the same category, are they? I suppose some people might cross-shop those two, but I don’t know why they would. The V2 is a dedicated sportbike. Five years ago, it was the platform for Ducati’s WSBK program. It’s a torture rack. The Triple is, as they bloke in the video above says, a naked bike with clip-ons and a bikini fairing. It looks comfortable enough that you could ride it all day without too many problems, but sporty enough to blast down a canyon road or do a track day. I think the layout is ideal (which is why I’m running Swallow bars on my XSR).

Yes, it’s pricey. I think that’s the main drawback. Of course, if you went with that Ducati, a couple of dealer service appointments would quickly eat up the price difference! 😛

·
Registered
39 Posts
Difficult because the RR is in a category of its own with not much else similar. I've compared them because they're a sporty riding position, neither are a characterless il4 and both slot in the £15-£18k bracket.

I'm biased by the way because I really don't like the concept of the RR. Too much of a fusion of cafe/naked/sportbike for my liking. I'd sooner have the RS.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
So I've seen a couple of vids. I'm starting to think that fairing looks like one of Christina Hendriks boobs. Far from a bad thing on her, but a bit pointy and pokey outy on a bike.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[Googles Christina Hendriks...]

Reactions: Darf

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Silence for the past 3 hours. Hmmmmmm.

Reactions: MK3Brent

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Honestly, she’s not my type. I like my wife better...

Reactions: LouG

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Honestly, she’s not my type. I like my wife better...
Me too. My wife that is, not yours. Although I'm sure she's a fine woman.
(Jeez, that was like tip toeing through a minefield.)

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Me too. My wife that is, not yours. Although I'm sure she's a fine woman.
(Jeez, that was like tip toeing through a minefield.)
At least you aren’t Googling my wife, like some of the pervs on this site…

Right? 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: Cw09
1 - 20 of 22 Posts