XSR900 Socal Riders?
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

XSR900 Socal Riders?

This is a discussion on XSR900 Socal Riders? within the XSR900 Ride Report forums, part of the Yamaha XSR900 Cafe Racer Forum category; Any Socal riders out there? Was wondering who had custom exhausts and if they would care to meet up and demonstrate their gurgle....

Thread: XSR900 Socal Riders?

Member #

XSR900 Socal Riders?

Any Socal riders out there? Was wondering who had custom exhausts and if they would care to meet up and demonstrate their gurgle.

Member #
    Where in SoCal? I'm in San Diego. I have the Akra Carbon if you want to hear it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by SrsBsns View Post
    Where in SoCal? I'm in San Diego. I have the Akra Carbon if you want to hear it.
    I live in Oceanside. Also, where do you typically get your maintenance done? Did you tune your bike after the exhaust?

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Custom exhaust people of Southern California, how much concern is there that you'll get a fix it ticket and have to re-install the old exhaust?

edit: I am Orange County and don't have any custom exhaust installed; just looking for info if I want to possibly do that in the future.

Member #
    mkhart:

From what I have seen and heard it isn't really an issue unless you are getting straight pipes which make everyone's ears bleed. In California, you don't smog motorcycles so CARB really isn't a concern either. For cars, I can vouch that the police don't really get skeptical unless they are obvious and usually straight pipes. There have been smog checkpoints down in Mira Mesa and South Bay where they do a spot inspection. This doesn't apply to motorcycles so IMHO you are in the clear as long as you don't do straight pipes or have a grossly noisy exhaust since some cities have noise ordinances which you will be cited but again not as a fix-it ticket but rather a noise violation. http://legalbeagle.com/7612110-california-noisedisturbance-laws.html It is a poorly cited source but it gives you an idea. I doubt jail time would ever be an issue but I would assume a fine especially if you are egregious and not respectful to the police officer.

Member #
    Right on. We should plan a ride. I've been wanting to try out Palomar, I haven't been yet.

I do my maintenance myself for the most part... Oil, chain, etc... I took the bike to SD Motor Repair to get new tires put on. They're in the Mission Hills area and they're great.

I had VCycleNut do my flash. I pulled my ECU and shipped it to him. He flashed it and sent it back and I plugged it back into the bike. Overall turn around time wasn't bad.

In terms of getting pulled over in CA for an exhaust... I don't think it's very likely unless you're doing something dumb. I was pulled over a long time ago in my M3 when I first moved out here. I had straight pipes and no cats. The cop only gave me a ticket for not using my signal.

Edit: I just moved from the OC. I was there for the last 8 years. Never had a problem about getting hassled on the bike unless I deserved it. I'm running the Akra Carbon exhaust and removed (and threw away) the baffle/silencer.
    Last edited by SrsBsns; 08-02-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Member #
    Sounds good about the ride. So I have a question about the tune... you pulled the baffle/silencer out. Pre tune or post? I assume you had to tell vcyclenut that it didnt have the baffle right?

Member #
    saw a '16 xsr900 aluminum parked on centinela near marina del Rey/Culver City in Los Angeles, California.

Member #
    Sorry, didn't see you wrote back until now...

Yeah, so when I sent my ECU to vcyclenut, I gave him a full list of my mods and let him know what I was looking for.

Sponsored Links