Bonding with the new bike!!!!
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Bonding with the new bike!!!! within the XSR900 Ride Report forums, part of the Yamaha XSR900 Cafe Racer Forum category; First ride report...... Headed out early this morning to try and beat the heat. Met up with the usual crew at the usual meeting place. ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Racerman27410
  • 1 Post By Racerman27410
  • 1 Post By Racerman27410

Thread: Bonding with the new bike!!!!

Member #

First ride report......

Headed out early this morning to try and beat the heat. Met up with the usual crew at the usual meeting place. A girl driving a BMW Z4 stopped to talk to my friend who rides a BMW 1000RR..... Turns out she was from Raleigh visiting her father (he was in the car with her) and they wanted to find some twisty roads...... be careful what you wish for......This happened in a downhill decreasing radius curve that we had literally just warned her about 10 minutes earlier!

her first impact was here straight into the side of the mtn

I had ridden behind her up 66 and thought she was driving way over her head.....once we stopped at the end of 66 we all told her to not try and keep up just drive her own drive and that we would wait at the turns ..... I left ahead of her because i had a feeling she was going to mess up and i didnt want it happening in front of me..... my friend Matt was behind her and said she flipped the car at least 6 times....

She walked away unscathed but her father had a huge gash on his forehead that was bleeding pretty bad and im pretty sure a concussion as he just kept on and on about how he had lost his phone.... even after we found it and gave it back to him.

All in all it could have been much worse for them.

Back to the ride report.....This bike has a honey of an engine!
    Fueling is perfect and on standard mode feels like im riding carbs again.
    A mode is a little touchy but its nowhere near as light switchy as my old KTM 990.

Wheelies on demand... :-)

The brakes were a bit wooden to begin with but seemed to be bedding in ok by the time the ride was over....still not a lot of power but i think a pad swap would be an improvement.

Suspension also isnt perfect but it isnt complete mush either so i think i can ride it for a bit before dropping the coin on full suspension upgrades.

After the crash was sorted i rode up squirrel spur road to the Po Farmers Market for an early lunch and then on to Mabry Mill for my obligatory new bike photo op.

Then a little further north on the pkwy to Tuggles Gap for a few passes up and down the mtn.....added some rebound in the rear shock and that helped a bit..... i think the shock is worse than the forks and a Penske is definitely in my future.

Another photo op at Lovers leap heading back down 58.

Considering the carnage early in the ride overall it was a fantastic day and i would say a very important great first ride....This bike and I are going to have a nice long and happy relationship.... I love it! :-)
    Moto26, BitSar, Frozen2kx and 1 others like this.

Member #
    That story was insane! I'm glad you had a much better day than they did...
    ◾◾◾ 2016 XSR900 ◾◾◾

I don't always drink beer... But when I do, I make up for the times that I don't.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto26 View Post
    That story was insane! I'm glad you had a much better day than they did...
    I got lots of similar stories of people who want to ride with us that really have no business being out there.... One guy put his brand new Ducati off the side of the mtn with 86 miles showing on the clocks that bike came up with the entire front end hanging by just the brake lines.... didnt even know his name... it was in a bad place and took all day (plus a helicopter and a wrecker) to get him and the bike off the mountain ....nothing can ruin a pleasant ride faster than having someone you dont even know tag onto the group and mess up.... We arent the kind of people to just ride off.... except for a couple of the guys who may or may not have legal tags :-)

Now a days if a squid in shorts and tennis shoes wants to hook onto us we just tell them flat out no... get lost.

This particular corner has debris from just about every kind of car or motorcycle you can imagine.....after walking the scene to find the missing phone i can say with certainty that her car was definitely not the first one to hit the side of that hill.

All kinds of motorcycle plastic in the ditch as well.

Luckily the crash site is really close to 2 different county emergency response centers so there was ambulance and fire truck on scene within 15 minutes so it didnt screw up the entire day.
    Last edited by Racerman27410; 07-31-2016 at 04:53 PM.
    Morten likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    I swore off group rides many years ago for that very reason! I have a very select handful of people I'll ever ride with any more. There was a time when it seemed like there was always some dude who would show up on a ride - "He's my cousin's friend from work" - and of course, when you got to the top of the mountain, guess who was missing. It's like the original Star Trek series. Whenever there was a red-shirted member of the landing party, you just knew he wasn't making it back to the Enterprise...

But I've never had someone in a car trying to hang with us end up like that...
    ◾◾◾ 2016 XSR900 ◾◾◾

I don't always drink beer... But when I do, I make up for the times that I don't.

Member #
    Spot on with the Star trek reference.... it happens too often to be coincidence.

There are 5 of us that have been riding together for 30 years... we raced together when we were in our 20's now we just do the occasional track day and Sunday morning street rides.
    None of us have ever had any problem other than a flat tire on a street ride.( i am always prepared for that circumstance now)

I dont think we ride fast but we know the roads VERY well which can give the appearance of speed.... we always try to tell people its not about the speed its about being smooth, having situational awareness and taking what the road gives you with respect for the penalty if you screw it up.

This is the second totaled car that has crashed with us.... first one was a lotus ..... I dont have any pictures of that one but it was similarly ugly....I can say that BMWs crash/flip well as other than the gash in pops head both people were intact with no broken bones. Lotus dude didnt fare so well and had to be extracted and transported."

I tell all my non riding friends " them 4 wheeled things are dangerous! !
    Last edited by Racerman27410; 07-31-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerman27410 View Post

None of us have ever had any problem other than a flat tire on a street ride.( i am always prepared for that circumstance now)

!
    Hello, what do you use for road side flat tire?
    2016 XSR900
    Charlotte, NC

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by t34ifr View Post
    Hello, what do you use for road side flat tire?
    I keep a motopump in my tank bag along with a brown rope tire plug kit and a fresh tube of rubber cement ( i replace the rubber cement every season as it will dry out) You can use the plugs without the glue but i have a 100% success rate using the rubber cement so that's how i do it.

Project

here is nice review of the motopump

MotoPumps Mini Pro Review

Brown rope plug kit

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-22-5-0.../dp/B000AMOEGY

Glue

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-1051-Ru...tire+plug+glue

I will also add that since i've started carrying this kit i have not personally had a flat tire (Murphy's law) but i have fixed several flats for my friends :-)
    t34ifr likes this.

Sponsored Links