2 Day Kootenays Trip
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

2 Day Kootenays Trip

This is a discussion on 2 Day Kootenays Trip within the XSR900 Ride Report forums, part of the Yamaha XSR900 Cafe Racer Forum category; Since we have our own ride report section now I thought I'd write up a trip I did back on Canada day weekend I didn't ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 5 Post By moliver
  • 6 Post By moliver
  • 1 Post By Cb750
  • 1 Post By Tigershark

Thread: 2 Day Kootenays Trip

Member #

2 Day Kootenays Trip

Since we have our own ride report section now I thought I'd write up a trip I did back on Canada day weekend I didn't get many pictures since we didn't do a lot of stopping, but I want to share what I have. This was my first ever multi-day trip and definitely the longest I'd ever ridden in a day. About 600 km each day.

Me and a friend (on a V-Star 950) rode Calgary, AB to Kalso, BC and then back - out on the Trans Canada and back on the Crowsnest, with the best ride of my life between the two highways.

Here's the route:
    https://goo.gl/maps/mK5awbR5Bbs

We left Saturday morning and traffic on the Trans Canada was awful between Calgary and Lake Banff. We took the 1A from Banff to Lake Louise, which was somewhat quieter. Speed limit along there is 60kph but once you're past Johnston Canyon you can easily do 90kph. Still slower than the #1, and I don't know if I'd do it that way again. Stopped for gas in Lake Louise after waiting 10 minutes in traffic to get into town.

2 Day Kootenays Trip-lake-louise.jpg

We stopped next in Revelstoke where The Last Drop Pub was serving only burgers on their BBQ outside (fine by me but my buddy wasn't into it). So we headed to the Grizzly Sports Bar & Grill where we sat, got coffee, looked at the menu, enjoyed the football game... and then were told that the cook had vanished. We were assured she'd be back within 15. After waiting 40 minutes we left. She still charged us for the coffee... Ended up at Emo's Restaurant which was awesome. I highly recommend it.

After leaving Revelstoke we finally we get to turn off of the Trans Canada towards the Arrow Lakes ferry. This highway was a little sketchy - not a great road surface and lots of dust. A very nice ride though. All the ferries in the BC interior are free and we had no hassle at all. I'd never take any bike on a ferry before:

2 Day Kootenays Trip-ferry-1-w-bikes.jpg
    2 Day Kootenays Trip-view-ferry-1.jpg

On the other side of the lake things started to get a bit twisty. Very beautiful ride down to New Denver, which is where things really get fun. Turning onto the 31A from New Denver was life changing. This highway is absolutely gorgeous, completely empty, twisty and I don't know if there's ever even been a cop here. I lost my friend on his cruiser very quickly as I found out just how fun the XSR is in twistys and hairpins. We didn't see one other car, but we did see some of the most breathtaking views and amazing corners that I've ever experienced. If you have any way to get your bike to the 31A I suggest that you do so!!

2 Day Kootenays Trip-bear-lake.jpg
    2 Day Kootenays Trip-deer.jpg
    • 1990 Honda NT650GT Hawk (red)
    • 2016 Yamaha XSR900 (silver)

Member #
    We stopped for the night in Kaslo at the Kalso Manor, where the owner is apologetic that she only has a room with one bed but she can bring up another mattress and she's so sorry she can't give us a room with two proper beds and - well, just the nicest person ever. It was an amazing house, simple room with good coffee in it. She recommended a couple of places in town for dinner and we ended up at the Blue Belle Bistro where we enjoyed amazing food on an amazing patio with an amazing beer. Perfect end to my first ever full day of riding.

2 Day Kootenays Trip-kalso-am.jpg
    2 Day Kootenays Trip-kalso-manor.jpg

Day 2 starts VERY early. I'm used to being up at 5 or 6, and in BC I'm an hour behind, so by 4:30 I'm ready to go. I'm happy to get a head start because the first ferry (about 30 minutes down the road) leaves at 6:10. I've been told that this ferry is extremely busy, so catching the early one ensures we don't end up waiting up to an hour.

The ride from Kaslo to Balfour was more of the beautiful twisty goodness. I did have one moment where I scared myself catching a big rock under my back tire going around a big right hander, but that was the only really startling moment in the entire 1200 km, so... pretty good. We see a fox and a couple of deer who are active since it's so early, but no close calls. Again, just a wonderful bit of road. We get on the ferry easily and ride the Osprey 2000 across Lake Kootenay.

2 Day Kootenays Trip-seat-osprey.jpg
    2 Day Kootenays Trip-ferry-2-bikes.jpg
    2 Day Kootenays Trip-view-ferry-1-2.jpg

More wonderful twisty roads all the way down to Creston. The ride from Creston to Nakusp is absolutely perfect. Even on a long weekend Saturday there was minimal traffic. We stop for lunch in Cranbrook and by now I'm feeling the previous 800 km on my back and legs. The Crowsnest Hwy is pretty enough, but after riding the 23, 31A and 3A between Revelstoke and Creston nothing quite compares...

We hit bad traffic between Coleman and Frank. Oh and if you're wondering why I haven't mentioned the weather yet it's because it'd been absolutely perfect (sunshine and 25C-30C) up to this point. Back in Alberta there's lots of wind, threatening clouds and lighting off in the distance. Luckily we managed to get back to Calgary hitting only a few raindrops.

Thanks for looking!

Member #
    Kaslo to New Denver is honestly my favorite stretch of road in BC, I'm glad you got to enjoy it! Next time in Revy try the village idiot, pub!
    Lemontwisst likes this.
    Current paddock: 2015 FZ-09 Matte Grey, 2008 YZ250 woods racer, 1977 CB750F, 1977 TT500 project

Past: 2000 ZRX1109 old school superbike, 1993 VFR750, 1882 CB650, 1983 xr250r, 1981 Cb400, 1989 Gs500, 1982 Cb450.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Great post. Kananaskis is one of our favorite vacations. The best is Jasper. Most of our mountain vacations happened before the majority of travelers with lots of disposable income discovered things. We'd go to Estes park, Colorado and would see one or two couples on the trails and in restaurants. I guess being old has its advantages. Glad you had a good trip and good weather.
    ridetofish likes this.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Member #
    Nice RR..Beautiful scenery... Thanks for sharing!

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    I just Google Earth'ed the road from Kaslo to New Denver and that looks like a road on which I could get in trouble. See any RCP?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Cb750 View Post
    Kaslo to New Denver is honestly my favorite stretch of road in BC
    ^THIS!^
    Was there a few weeks ago as well and it is just awesome!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ridetofish View Post
    I just Google Earth'ed the road from Kaslo to New Denver and that looks like a road on which I could get in trouble. See any RCP?
    Did not see another soul and this was the Saturday of a long weekend. I think that you could ride that road just as fast as you want and not have any trouble whatsoever.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by moliver View Post
    Did not see another soul and this was the Saturday of a long weekend. I think that you could ride that road just as fast as you want and not have any trouble whatsoever.
    I may have tested that theory several times. I've also driven it with 6" of snow covering it, in white out conditions... That was more demanding than dry on a motorcycle at speed!
    Current paddock: 2015 FZ-09 Matte Grey, 2008 YZ250 woods racer, 1977 CB750F, 1977 TT500 project

Past: 2000 ZRX1109 old school superbike, 1993 VFR750, 1882 CB650, 1983 xr250r, 1981 Cb400, 1989 Gs500, 1982 Cb450.

Member #
    I was hoping to get out there this long weekend but the weather just didn't want to play along. Will try again the weekend of the 16th...with fresh rubber, woot!

Sponsored Links