Locked ECU, no fix (New Yamaha serial)
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Locked ECU, no fix (New Yamaha serial)

This is a discussion on Locked ECU, no fix (New Yamaha serial) within the XSR900 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha XSR900 Cafe Racer Forum category; I wanted to pass along a major issue I ran into with sending off my ECU on my 2018 XSR900 to get flashed. Purchased the ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Locked ECU, no fix (New Yamaha serial)

Member #

Exclamation Locked ECU, no fix (New Yamaha serial)

I wanted to pass along a major issue I ran into with sending off my ECU on my 2018 XSR900 to get flashed. Purchased the M4 exhaust/ECU flash combo from 2 wheel dyno works and sent off my ECU while I installed the exhaust. When I got it back, it would crank, fire up for a couple seconds with a very weird sounding firing order, then die. After troubleshooting, I was told to return the ECU to them. They then sent me an email stating that I have a new generation of ECU from Yamaha ending with a -70 that the Flash Tune software has a huge glitch with. The ECU is locked and they have no option but to order a new factory ECU for me from Japan which may arrive sometime in June.

I want to be clear that I am not blaming 2 wheel dynoworks as I have no evidence they did anything wrong, and they are doing what they can to help me out. I am just passing this along because if I well established tuner like them ran into this, there could be other tuners that have the same issue. Be aware if you are sending that serial of ECU out. I only have the info that they passed along to me.

They stated that Flashtune does not have a fix, so I will unfortunately be running a factory tune with my exhaust for who knows how long which sucks.

20190521_180339.jpg

Member #
    Flashing back to stock didn’t work either?
    Is it possible when ordering the replacement ECU to get an older one that would tolerate the flash (and the 2018 model bike)?
    Not suggesting, just asking out of curiosity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Playjuryst View Post
    Flashing back to stock didn’t work either?
    Is it possible when ordering the replacement ECU to get an older one that would tolerate the flash (and the 2018 model bike)?
    Not suggesting, just asking out of curiosity

It is apparently completely locked and is not responding to the tuning software in any form. Apparently NO other ECU is compatible with this series which means that plugging in another ECU with different pinouts could be trouble. I already asked if I could plug in my FJ-09 ECU so I could at least ride the XSR. No bueno.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Wow that sucks. I’m sorry man.

Member #
    Send a message to vcyclenut (vendor here) and see if he has any ideas. I think he stays pretty current on all the changes. Maybe he's figured this one out...?
    ◾◾◾ 2016 XSR900 ◾◾◾

I don't always drink beer... But when I do, I make up for the times that I don't.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto26 View Post
    Send a message to vcyclenut (vendor here) and see if he has any ideas. I think he stays pretty current on all the changes. Maybe he's figured this one out...?
    Thanks, i will do that!

Member #
    yes I can fix it , ill respond to your PM
    abe57, Playjuryst, Moto26 and 5 others like this.

Member #
    Does anyone mind sharing how it can be fixed? It's pretty scary the vendor themselves don't know how to fix this and are willing to buy and send out a new ECU.

Oddly enough I bought the FT ECU kit last night and have a 17 FZ09...is this still a concern for that year?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gerdawg View Post
    Does anyone mind sharing how it can be fixed? It's pretty scary the vendor themselves don't know how to fix this and are willing to buy and send out a new ECU.

Oddly enough I bought the FT ECU kit last night and have a 17 FZ09...is this still a concern for that year?
    See post #7 above...
    ◾◾◾ 2016 XSR900 ◾◾◾

I don't always drink beer... But when I do, I make up for the times that I don't.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto26 View Post
    See post #7 above...
    Is it really that much of a secret to tell people how to prevent bricking their ECU if they happen to run across this? I don't even have the issue just thought it might make sense to put it in a public format for those that could have a problem in the future.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links