Locked ECU, no fix (New Yamaha serial) - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

Locked ECU, no fix (New Yamaha serial)

This is a discussion on Locked ECU, no fix (New Yamaha serial) within the XSR900 General Discussion forums, part of the Yamaha XSR900 Cafe Racer Forum category; If your gonna flash an ECU yourself, you should know the risks in doing so before starting. Further info, use extra caution if it ends ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Locked ECU, no fix (New Yamaha serial)

Member #
    If your gonna flash an ECU yourself, you should know the risks in doing so before starting. Further info, use extra caution if it ends with -70.

If you’re going to have a vendor do it, just like any other hired service, do your research and hope they’re both skilled and reputable.

I respect that the first vendor offered to fix the situation the best way they could. I also respect the second vendors ability to profit off his skill.

I recently screwed up when soldering MacBook components together and needed to hire a professional for help. He fixed it, but I didn’t expect him to teach me how.

While I agree freedom of information is nice, so is the ability to make a living off knowledge you’ve acquired through hard work.

Im sure the OP is pleased plenty to have found someone to save the day.

Now my question, is vendor one paying to have vendor two fix it? =P

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Moto26 likes this.

Member #
    I can't imagine this isn't something FT has no idea how to fix but only vcycle does. They make the software that he's using. He does the Dyno work and resells a flash based on his research and data for 150 less than it would even cost someone not interested in doing so to buy the ft kit. Meaning his business model isn't in jeopardy here.

In either event I guess if someone does have a problem hopefully they'll post the fix when they get it or FT publishes the fix for folks that run into the issue.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gerdawg View Post
    Is it really that much of a secret to tell people how to prevent bricking their ECU if they happen to run across this? I don't even have the issue just thought it might make sense to put it in a public format for those that could have a problem in the future.
    It's no secret, and vcyclenut was just publicly showing that he was responding to a PM I sent him for those that suggested I seek his advice in this thread. Long story short:

Conflicting info depending on who you ask... I won't get into it and start a tuner fight, but vcyclenut on here has been more than helpful and forthcoming with info and facts regarding this, and based on what he's told me and seen, I don't doubt he can resolve the issue utilizing Woolich software which according to their specs, does show support for the -70 series ECU. I was initially told NOT to have anyone try to flash over the Flash Tune flash. vcyclenut says he has and can. I do not know enough to dissect all of the data and nuances beyond that, so at some point I have to trust that someone knows best, but due to the current situation and after some conversations, I have chosen to just let the current tuner handle it as they stated they are working on it with Flash Tune.

As to how to prevent bricking it? No easy answer there if you're having a shop do it, as you'd expect a tuner to know if that is/could be an issue. So I guess have a conversation with them first. Both tuners spoken about in this thread are very reputable and well known but also have different info. Again, I do not know enough to say otherwise in either case. I don't fully understand why it occurred or why Flash Tune would allow users to utilize potentially corrupt flashes or whatever the case, but the important thing is that I am getting support from the current shop or through another vendor if I so choose.

This thread really is just an FYI based on my recent experience and should be nothing more than a reminder to ask.
    Last edited by JBolt; 06-03-2019 at 07:52 PM.
    shamrock likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Playjuryst View Post
    If your gonna flash an ECU yourself, you should know the risks in doing so before starting. Further info, use extra caution if it ends with -70.

If you’re going to have a vendor do it, just like any other hired service, do your research and hope they’re both skilled and reputable.

I respect that the first vendor offered to fix the situation the best way they could. I also respect the second vendors ability to profit off his skill.

I recently screwed up when soldering MacBook components together and needed to hire a professional for help. He fixed it, but I didn’t expect him to teach me how.

While I agree freedom of information is nice, so is the ability to make a living off knowledge you’ve acquired through hard work.

Im sure the OP is pleased plenty to have found someone to save the day.

Now my question, is vendor one paying to have vendor two fix it? =P

-Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well in this case, if you want a tune, you pick a place and hope for the best. Hard to argue with any shop that has a LOT of pleased customers and good reviews. About all you can hope for really. Otherwise, I guess don't get one. I don't regret seeking a tune, and this is really crappy what happened, but definitely a good example of a common risk of any aftermarket product. Live and learn I guess. Not much I could have done differently.
    Playjuryst likes this.

Member #
    From a little homework FT don't list a -70 bin file for a XSR900 so not sure how they flashed the ECU with a -70 bin file, cross file flashing can cause drama's, if it was me I would be flashing over the bin files with Woolich software before I ordered in a new ECU, I once had a problem MT09 ECU that someone else flashed not Woolich & the bike would not start, I flashed over with Woolich & hey presto ECU came back from the dead, David has Woolich so should be able to help if the first Vendor cant.

Woolich
    Last edited by kevxtx; 06-04-2019 at 03:00 AM.
    vcyclenut, JM00JM and Travis like this.
    2018 MT09SP: Full Woolich Race tools & tune, up/down QS, launch control, pit lane limiter, Shorty clutch lever, Protaper bars, Lithium iron battery, steering damper, Titanium bolts & nuts everywhere, Akra Carbon, R1 front 320mm wave brake rotors, full set Hell brake lines, MT07 Wave rear rotor, R1 tail tidy with 2016 rear axle, R1 indicators, modified ABS rings.

Member #
    As kevin stated

I would reflash it using woolich software that 100% supports the -70 ecu. I have sent the OP screen shots ( Kev also attached some to this thread) as proof that woolich supports the -70 ecu and that I have flashed them in the past.

Flashtune at one time did have the -70 listed in their available files but they have had issues with it.

to the person with the 17 fz09 there are no issues with that file in the ftecu software you will not brick your ecu.

2WDW is not a forum sponsor but they are a very reputable company that does good work. I am not sure why who ever the OP is speaking to there is bad mouthing me and sending him info that is not true.

This would also not be the first -70 ecu I have fixed the other was flashed by an other reputable flasher that when the -70 first was first released he flashed it with a non -70 file and had the same issue as the OP

I have also flashed over my own ftecu flashes with woolich when I have had customers that wanted the race tools set up

Both Kev and I have untarnished reputations and when we are both saying it can be done and are showing proof as such I think that makes it easy to see what the facts are
    ridetofish, kevxtx, Cw09 and 5 others like this.

Member #
    Thanks vcycle for the reply. I am the guy with the 17 and I didn't think the recovery was a huge secret and your post confirms such. I was just caught off guard at another members reply that seemed to indicate it was some trade secret. I figured you'd be doing something such as using another supported tuner to reflash the eprom back to a working state.

Mostly I was curious about issues I'll encounter as I had just ordered the FT kit this week and was going to dyno my bike next week. My biggest annoyance is the pop on decel from the m4 aftermarket exhaust the previous owner installed. Based on everything I read it seems like it's probably a waste of money for me to install the FT as it doesn't even disable the 17+ AIS and has negligible gains on performance/lean conditions. I believe I'll be returning the FT (thankfully didn't arrive or get registered yet) and getting back my 380 dollars - shipping. I'll likely end up sending my ECU out to you in the future when if I pull out the solenoid. I have block off plates arriving in a few days.

In either event, everything I read now and in the past seems to indicate you're extremely knowledgeable fellow with a very customer service friendly attitude. Thanks again for the contributions to this site and I really appreciate the info.

Member #
    Wow, I didnt know that could happen. Im waiting for my FTECU unit to arrive so I hope my ECU isnt a -70. How can I check the number on my ECU? Im flashing a 17 xsr900 and a 19 fz09.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gerdawg View Post
    Thanks vcycle for the reply. I am the guy with the 17 and I didn't think the recovery was a huge secret and your post confirms such. I was just caught off guard at another members reply that seemed to indicate it was some trade secret. I figured you'd be doing something such as using another supported tuner to reflash the eprom back to a working state.

Mostly I was curious about issues I'll encounter as I had just ordered the FT kit this week and was going to dyno my bike next week. My biggest annoyance is the pop on decel from the m4 aftermarket exhaust the previous owner installed. Based on everything I read it seems like it's probably a waste of money for me to install the FT as it doesn't even disable the 17+ AIS and has negligible gains on performance/lean conditions. I believe I'll be returning the FT (thankfully didn't arrive or get registered yet) and getting back my 380 dollars - shipping. I'll likely end up sending my ECU out to you in the future when if I pull out the solenoid. I have block off plates arriving in a few days.

In either event, everything I read now and in the past seems to indicate you're extremely knowledgeable fellow with a very customer service friendly attitude. Thanks again for the contributions to this site and I really appreciate the info.
    the graves file included in the software will be an improvement over the stock mapping, for the popping just plug off the line from the front left underneath corner of the airbox, it will stop the popping

also I am flash tune dealer and would have given you a nice discount on the cable and provided support

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Hernandez View Post
    Wow, I didnt know that could happen. Im waiting for my FTECU unit to arrive so I hope my ECU isnt a -70. How can I check the number on my ECU? Im flashing a 17 xsr900 and a 19 fz09.

its on a sticker on the ecu I think it will be a -40

for others looking to purchase anything flashtune, I offer discounts and provide support if its purchased from me

https://www.vcyclenut.com/store/p46/...Z7%2C_FZ8.html
    raydeightor, kevxtx and lv0872 like this.

Member #
    Just go with Dave/Vcyclenut. Had a similar issue fixed mine. Not only is it fixed but the A mode is now the only mode I use in sun, rain, gravel...total control and epic power when you give 'er. Makes stock mapping look like it was done by a 5 year old. Yes I am happy haha.
    vcyclenut likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links