Andreani cartridge kit with compression fix
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum

This is a discussion on Andreani cartridge kit with compression fix within the Forks by Matt forums, part of the Vendors category; Seems I've been resting on my laurels by virtue of @TT_FZ's most excellent thread and @kevxtx's photos. It's past time I actually had an official ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Andreani cartridge kit with compression fix

Member #

Seems I've been resting on my laurels by virtue of @TT_FZ's most excellent thread and @kevxtx's photos. It's past time I actually had an official thread on this since it's one of the most requested items on my service catalog.

The Andreani fork kit is the least expensive full replacement cartridge solution by a healthy margin (600) vs K-Tech IDS20 (900), Ohlins NIX-30 (1150). They go to some effort to stress that it's for "Race Track Use" and given the compression circuit performance there's no doubt about that. FWIW every one I've sold if it didn't go out modded, they have come back asking for the compression fix. People not on the 3 Yamaha-focused boards I'm on have tracked me down asking for a fix whether their bike is a KTM Duke 1290, various Triumphs, or any of the more pedestrian models. I've sent fix kits to UK, Philippines, Thailand, UK, Italy, Vietnam, Australia and New Zealand. So apparently this Google search thing works.

Product Overview
    • 2-piston design
    • Adjustable for preload, compression and rebound at the fork cap
    • Springs suited to rider weight and usage profile
    • Compression piston replaced with high-flow unit and custom re-shimmed for usage profile and improved bump compliance
    • Proper top-out springs instead of fat o-ring
    • Compression needle shortened and re-contoured for much wider adjustment range
    • 3-piston setup adds a base valve to the 'R' leg which improves bump compliance even more

The bolded items are Forks-by-Matt's improvements on the original.

The factory suggests Ohlins R&T43 oil which is [email protected] which is ok for the rebound leg, but murder on the compression side unless all you do is ride at the track or in West Virginia. If you want to run the cartridges stock I suggest using a [email protected] oil in the comp leg. Fundamentally the compression circuit is too choked up to flow enough oil under high-shaft rates which translates to the harsh feeling. If I could just flip the piston over that would be very simple part of the fix - it's a nice piston just oriented the wrong way. I haven't tried to see if I could just use some metal epoxy to fill in the recess and remachine the surface flat. So I use my in-house piston.

Andreani specifies 120mm oil height but I recommend at least 150mm and more like 160-165 but this can be flavored to suit depending on how much suspension you're using at maximal stopping effort. Unlike the Yamaha forks, the Andreanis have no fluid-stop so you don't want to crash into the bottom. Even so it would take some serious doing to get that deep into the stroke let along do so in a manner where you could bend something.

The factory has also changed (late 2016?) to using an independent needle instead of it being integrated into the long shaft that goes to the cap. This was a most welcome change even though the taper is as before; very slight and at over 6mm long it will never retract all the way. This is perfectly fine for rebound duty but rather silly in the compression direction since the demands are different. The bleed orifice is only 2mm in any event so I shorten the needle so that you can actually back it out all the way - most people are going to run it close to wide-open anyway which if you had the original needle and recommended 4 turns of range means the orifice is still barely open. It gets better at 6 turns but what is needed is a different needle. See pic below.

Earlier on I shimmed the comp leg to have a very high degree of bypass which mostly neutered the needle. It also meant that slow-speed compression force was very modest. To add back some firmness and pitch stability, I added the 3rd valve assembly on the right leg very similar to what you would find in any decent 4-piston design of the last 30 years. Recently I came up with a 2-stage shim-stack and a tunable bleed on the Comp leg to increase the needle's authority. Yes, that's a carb main jet - very handy because they come in a slew of sizes.

Price Shipping (CONUS)
    DIY kit of sub-assemblies 100 8
    installed into Andreani 615 35
    replacement needle

Quick comparative analysis
    The fit and finish of the Andreani since late 2016 has definitely improved. But when placed side by side with the IDS-20 or the NIX-30 you can tell there's a reason for the price.
    Last edited by pattonme; 08-28-2017 at 06:56 AM.
    kevxtx likes this.

Member #
    0.15mm thick shims are 3x as stiff as 0.1mm shims. Also note my piston uses an orifice easily 2x as big.
    Andreani cartridge kit with compression fix-piston-shim-contrast.jpg
    Last edited by pattonme; 08-28-2017 at 06:19 AM.

Member #
    Andreani needle (top) vs something more appropriate.
    Andreani cartridge kit with compression fix-needle-taper.jpg
    Last edited by pattonme; 08-28-2017 at 05:42 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FZ09.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Fix-it kit contents
    • 3rd valve
    • mid-valve assembly
    • top-out springs

Andreani cartridge kit with compression fix-img_0257_zpsr1saansc.jpg
    Name:  IMG_0258_zpsalth1oss.jpg
Views: 1486
Size:  53.9 KB

Member #
    Wnats the cost ofmthe andreani carts with the fix?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by skeletor View Post
    615 + ship + ppal (cc) fees = around $667

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by pattonme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skeletor View Post
    615 + ship + ppal (cc) fees = around $667
    How does one foe about ordering this kit with the fixes? And do the come assembled and ready to “drop In” or do I have to assemble them?!? Thanks.
    Minnesota 2016 FZ-09, pro taper Carmichael bend.

Member #
    most of the time people buy the fully upgraded, drop in and go, solution. For overseas folks they tend to order just the assemblies.
    You order by PM'ing me.

Member #
    What is the price shipped to the UK out of interest? With your mods pre-fitted and without?

Starting to look at improving my bike

Cheers
    Mike

Member #
    Hi pattonme, you mentioned in your first post that the fit and finish of the Andreani cartridge is not quite on par with the IDS or NIX cartridges. Is it that they will need servicing sooner when compared to more expensive cartridges?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links